Conquer Club

Star Wars Spoiler Alert

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Star Wars Spoiler Alert

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:19 am

I saw the latest in the Star Wars Movies, Episode VIII and enjoyed it. Lots of actions, as expected, the plot and story lines develop, too.

We do not know who is the "Last Jedi". Is it Luke? or is there another.......?

And what about Rey, the young woman we meet in Episode VII? Who are her parents? : ".....Rey, a young woman who shows strong signs of the Force. Her desire to learn the ways of the Jedi forces Luke to make a decision that changes their lives forever." (from an intro to the trailer).

There are good homages to Leia (Carrie Fisher, too) and to Hans Solo. So who carries on the traditions from the first one RELEASED, called Episode IV in 1977?

In each big action scene (AND there are several) I kept asking, how will they get OUT of this ONE? GO see.

Oh, BE WARNED: and I paid $10.65 for the mantinee, and that was beforethe EXTRA fee for 3D. I did not want 3D, but that time slot fit our busy schedules for my wife and me.

BUT it is FUN.

JP4Fun

Here is one comment (from one article I JUS now read online, citation at end: Speaking about the online user reviews this morning, Disney president of theatrical distribution Dave Hollis said, “Rian Johnson, the cast, and the Lucasfilm team have delivered an experience that is totally Star Wars yet at the same time fresh, unexpected and new. That makes this a Star Wars film like audiences have never seen – it’s got people talking, puzzling over its mysteries, and it’s a lot to take in, and we see that as all positive, that should help set the film up for great word-of-mouth and repeat viewing as we enter the lucrative holiday period.”
http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-t ... 202228837/
)
Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Re: Star Wars Spoiler Alert

Postby strike wolf on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm

It was very good. Won't say more than that.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby 2dimes on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:49 pm

The porgs look delicious.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby MnrToti on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:00 am

It felt way too much like a mixture of Empire Strikes Back and Return of The Jedi.. Don't get me wrong it was good, but it was probably least liked Star Wars movie ever. What was the point of Snoke if he was stronger than both Rey and Kylo, but got killed off by the conveniently placed lightsaber? And Captain Phasma dying without a real fight? I call bs on the movie.
Sergeant MnrToti

Postby Bentelbow on Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:57 pm

I liked this episode just fine. If you're calling BS on anything in the movie, it should be their take on explosive decompression..
Sergeant 1st Class Bentelbow

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:52 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:I saw the latest in the Star Wars Movies, Episode VIII and enjoyed it. Lots of actions, as expected, the plot and story lines develop, too.

And what about Rey, the young woman we meet in Episode VII? Who are her parents? : ".....Rey, a young woman who shows strong signs of the Force. Her desire to learn the ways of the Jedi forces Luke to make a decision that changes their lives forever." (from an intro to the trailer).

I thought they basically answered your questions above fairly directly in this movie... for a minute I thought you were talking about the last movie. There is a scene near the end where solo's son tells her her parents where "nobody's". I took this at face value (perhaps mistakenly)... I also thought it was pretty clearly fore-shadowed by comments from yoda among others that Rey is the next "good force" person aka jedi. So either Luke is the last Jedi and they abandon the term, which they kinda allude to by burning down the tree, or she is obvs the next jedi. Just my interpretation.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby MnrToti on Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 am

I think Luke is the last jedi, later on the movie you can see Rey toom the books from the tree and put them on the Falcon, maybe study the teachings of the jedi but never fully follows their teachings?
Sergeant MnrToti

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:06 am

Y'know, I don't mind spoilers cos I'll never watch this movie. I will never understand why people think Star Wars, any version, is worthwhile. Oh, except that Lego thing. That was funny.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby MnrToti on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:32 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Y'know, I don't mind spoilers cos I'll never watch this movie. I will never understand why people think Star Wars, any version, is worthwhile. Oh, except that Lego thing. That was funny.

The original movies were great, the rest tried too hard. The animated series isn't too bad either.
Sergeant MnrToti

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am

Some comprehend and can relate to the MAGIC that is Star Wars. And some don't, won't, or do not wish to get it. (What did George Lucas call the company he formed to make special effects? Industrial Light and MAGIC.)

Star Wars is supposed to be FUN, allowing one to enjoy fantasy and adventure. That spirit is captured by Luke, wishing to escape the world of boring work on the farm of his uncle. He dreams of adventure, flying, fighting, being part of a great cause and not JUS being part of a mundane world, as he takes possession of the 2 droids in Episode IV, the original Star Wars movie, released in 1977.

I think it was Yoda who admonished the young Luke for dreams of adventure, likely occuring in The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V, 1983), at the swampy planet/place (Degoba?) during Luke's training with Yoda, Jedi Master.

If you choose not to enjoy the adventure, then so be it. What do you enjoy if you cannot enjoy adventure and fantasy, even in a movie? Such a sense of adventure make life FUN and enjoyable, even for JUS a few minutes, as captured in the ending scene of the small boy sweeping with an old broom (the latest movie, Episode VIII).

(btw: the protagonist is named Luke, for George Lucas. Lucas, said in an interview about the movie. And [with some paraphrasing] Lucas said that he wanted to re-create the adventures he saw in movies of his youth. I think Flash Gordon, "jetting" about in space craft from place to place, was a strong influence in his attempt to create a grand space adventure. I think too, that I read that some of the inspiration for the Star Wars story came from a Japanese myth or story or legend.

So here, we get honor, family, loyalty, faith in the GOOD, good versus evil, a lovely Princess, too, and many other themes central to good stories that are brought together in Star Wars. We even get some ambiguities of life (what is truth?), ALL THAT is the magic of Star Wars.

JP4FUN

jonesthecurl wrote:Y'know, I don't mind spoilers cos I'll never watch this movie. I will never understand why people think Star Wars, any version, is worthwhile. Oh, except that Lego thing. That was funny.

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:37 pm

MnrToti wrote:I think Luke is the last jedi, later on the movie you can see Rey toom the books from the tree and put them on the Falcon, maybe study the teachings of the jedi but never fully follows their teachings?

This x100.

It borrows heavily from the original trilogy. And nothing was ever explained.
Lukes now this hopeless mope sucking on the tits of an alien on a remote island. See's the error of his ways, force projects himself, and then dies. I half expected him to raise the X-Wing out of the water and travel to the planet and have a similar send off to Ben Kenobi, but f*ck all, they didn't even give him that courtesy. He just embraces the force and vanishes. Lame. LAME.
Snoke, one of the most mysterious characters introduced, is also killed off in a lame fashion. No backstory given, nothing provided as to whom he is exactly and how he rose to power after Palpatines death. He's just there, then dies.

I don't hate the movie, I enjoyed it actually, but f*ck, these little things mentioned above drive me crazy.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:18 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
MnrToti wrote:I think Luke is the last jedi, later on the movie you can see Rey toom the books from the tree and put them on the Falcon, maybe study the teachings of the jedi but never fully follows their teachings?

This x100.

It borrows heavily from the original trilogy. And nothing was ever explained.
Lukes now this hopeless mope sucking on the tits of an alien on a remote island. See's the error of his ways, force projects himself, and then dies. I half expected him to raise the X-Wing out of the water and travel to the planet and have a similar send off to Ben Kenobi, but f*ck all, they didn't even give him that courtesy. He just embraces the force and vanishes. Lame. LAME.
Snoke, one of the most mysterious characters introduced, is also killed off in a lame fashion. No backstory given, nothing provided as to whom he is exactly and how he rose to power after Palpatines death. He's just there, then dies.

I don't hate the movie, I enjoyed it actually, but f*ck, these little things mentioned above drive me crazy.

I was thinking maybe we find out snoke will be Rey's dad? It's the only reason I could think of that they introduce the character and kill him off right away... They can no go back and piece his story together by explaining her past or something along those lines... But then again maybe they just plow forward and never mention him again lol.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:35 pm

I can guarantee you, they'll plow forward with never mentioning him again. So much missed opportunity
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Postby 2dimes on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:10 pm

I'm fine with them "Plowing forward without mentioning Snoke again."

I missed Rey taking the Jedi texts.

I thought it was clear Luke threatened to burn them in the storage tree. Then he had a change of heart. Suddenly Yoda caused lightning to strike the tree burning it, with all the books contained within.

That settled it and Luke was the last Jedi because it ended there with the fire... but Yoda does then explain Rey will be acquire all the knowledge, adding,"Won't it be the same even if it won't be named the same?"
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:29 pm

Either of your scenarios, Mookie, seems to work. I can go with either one.

JP4Fun

mookiemcgee wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:I saw the latest in the Star Wars Movies, Episode VIII and enjoyed it. Lots of actions, as expected, the plot and story lines develop, too.

I thought they basically answered your questions above fairly directly in this movie... for a minute I thought you were talking about the last movie. There is a scene near the end where solo's son tells her her parents where "nobody's". I took this at face value (perhaps mistakenly)... I also thought it was pretty clearly fore-shadowed by comments from yoda among others that Rey is the next "good force" person aka jedi. So either Luke is the last Jedi and they abandon the term, which they kinda allude to by burning down the tree, or she is obvs the next jedi. Just my interpretation.

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Honestly, I could take it that Solo was trying to convince her that she came from nothing but she is everything to him. Seeds of doubt and all.

I really would like to know who her parents were. You have this enriched bloodline of Skywalker/Solo's running around, and here's Rey who comes from absolutely nothing. Maybe it'll be explained in the third one...I can let the parent thing slide. I just hope they don't do that stupid fuckin cop-out with the miniclorion count or whatever it is, and Snoke is actually Plagueis who, once again, tried to manipulate the perfect force user. I still think not elaborating on who exactly Snoke is is a huge wasted opportunity. This guy was clearly on another level when compared to Rey and Solo, but they just sweep him under the rug with a "meh". What a joke.
Dukasaur wrote:

Postby 2dimes on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Midiclorians or not, Anikin came from a slave woman that thought he was special, but every poor mother thinks that.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:31 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:Honestly, I could take it that Solo was trying to convince her that she came from nothing but she is everything to him. Seeds of doubt and all.

I really would like to know who her parents were. You have this enriched bloodline of Skywalker/Solo's running around, and here's Rey who comes from absolutely nothing. Maybe it'll be explained in the third one...I can let the parent thing slide. I just hope they don't do that stupid fuckin cop-out with the miniclorion count or whatever it is, and Snoke is actually Plagueis who, once again, tried to manipulate the perfect force user. I still think not elaborating on who exactly Snoke is is a huge wasted opportunity. This guy was clearly on another level when compared to Rey and Solo, but they just sweep him under the rug with a "meh". What a joke.

Maybe they included the story of snoke initially and it's just what got cut? It's a super long movie lol
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:12 pm

2dimes wrote:Midiclorians or not, Anikin came from a slave woman that thought he was special, but every poor mother thinks that.

Yes, but that was half assed explained by Palpatine and his mentor, Plagueis.
Dukasaur wrote:

Postby strike wolf on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:35 pm

I think we'll see Snoke again. I'm half convinced he manipulated the circumstances of his own death. A line he used about having the right piece in the right place shortly before the conveniently placed lightsaber skewers him combined with his line from the end of Force Awakens where he tells Hugs to bring Kylo Ren to him to complete his training (for those of you unaware, the Sith rule of training involves the Sith apprentice completing his training by killing his master) makes me feel that his death wasn't as sudden as it seemed to us in the movie.

So why let himself die? As he himself pointed out, Ren was stronger in raw power with the force and Rey was Ren's opposite and equal but he bested both of them. Why? I think it's because he was more in tune with the force. Just the dark side instead of the light. So being in tune with it, he could fully expect to not so much die die but come back like Obi Wan and other jedis as a force ghost. Or he could be Darth Plageuis but I think that would undermine Ren's rise as a result of his death. Instead of Ren kills big bad and takes his own place as the new big bad, it's Ren killed big bad but haha not really.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:06 pm

Speculation is fun, but hopefully nearly all these questions will be answered in Episode IX.

I recall speculation after the first Star Wars (1977) in some unauthorized (non-George Lucas) novels had Leia and Luke linked romantically., We did not learn until later that they are TWINS. SO, not so FAST.......BUT discussion is fun and keeps interests and the MAGIC alive.

JP4Fun

strike wolf wrote:I think we'll see Snoke again. I'm half convinced he manipulated the circumstances of his own death. A line he used about having the right piece in the right place shortly before the conveniently placed lightsaber skewers him combined with his line from the end of Force Awakens where he tells Hugs to bring Kylo Ren to him to complete his training (for those of you unaware, the Sith rule of training involves the Sith apprentice completing his training by killing his master) makes me feel that his death wasn't as sudden as it seemed to us in the movie.

So why let himself die? As he himself pointed out, Ren was stronger in raw power with the force and Rey was Ren's opposite and equal but he bested both of them. Why? I think it's because he was more in tune with the force. Just the dark side instead of the light. So being in tune with it, he could fully expect to not so much die die but come back like Obi Wan and other jedis as a force ghost. Or he could be Darth Plageuis but I think that would undermine Ren's rise as a result of his death. Instead of Ren kills big bad and takes his own place as the new big bad, it's Ren killed big bad but haha not really.

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:16 pm

‘Star Wars’: Supreme Leader Snoke Had ‘At Least One Other Apprentice’ Besides Kylo Ren, Official Magazine Reveals
The Rule of Two doesn't apply to non-Sith.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/star-w ... 201910739/

Michael Nordine

Dec 23, 2017 5:57 pm

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens”

(Warning: Spoilers follow.) Anyone hoping that “The Last Jedi” would reveal more information about Supreme Leader Snoke, the powerful villain played by motion-capture master Andy Serkis, was surely disappointed that the character dies halfway through the film without so much as a hint toward his backstory. Since so much “Star Wars” lore has always been expanded upon in the Expanded Universe of books and other ancillary media, however, fans will be relieved to learn that Snoke’s story isn’t entirely over.

As pointed out by the Playlist, a new Lucasfilm magazine called “The Souvenir Guide to the Movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi” has an article devoted to Dear Leader that reveals a crucial bit of information: Kylo Ren wasn’t his only student. The only information is in the first sentence, but it’s enough to prove that the Rule of Two doesn’t apply to non-Sith: “Force sensitive, and highly attuned to the dark side but not a Sith, Snoke has trained Kylo Ren and at least one other apprentice.”

This being an official Lucasfilm publication, that tidbit is canon. And since it raises more questions than it answers, it’s sure to have fans speculating as to that other apprentice’s identity and what role he or she might play in the future — not that they should get their hopes up about “Episode IX” answering any of them.

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 pm

One more:

‘The Last Jedi’: Rian Johnson Explains Why Adam Driver’s Shirtless Scene Was All About ‘Intimacy’ Between Kylo Ren and Rey
He calls it the film's "beefcake" moment.

Michael Nordine
Dec 24, 2017 1:02 pm

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/star-w ... 201910778/

“The Last Jedi” features many surprising scenes, few of them more attuned to the meme-loving segment of online fandom than one that finds Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren without his shirt. There’s no apparent reason for it, beyond fan service — even his scene partner, Daisy Ridley’s Rey, asks if he can cover up — but director Rian Johnson says there’s more to the moment than meets the eye.
Read More:‘Star Wars’: Supreme Leader Snoke Had ‘At Least One Other Apprentice’ Besides Kylo Ren, Official Magazine Reveals

“It’s all about those Force connection scenes,” Johnson tells People in a new interview. “The keyword being intimacy. And the idea that this was a way to just, why not step that up? The idea that, what’s even more uncomfortable having a conversation face to face with a person you don’t want to, is if they’re half-naked during it, while you’re having to do it. And so it was just another way of kind of disrobing Kylo literally and figuratively a little bit more, and pushing that sense of these conversations becoming increasingly more intimate.”

Read More:Ridley Scott Doesn’t See Why ‘Alien’ Can’t Be as Big as ‘Star Wars’ or ‘Star Trek’
There’s much tension between Kylo and Rey in the latest “Star Wars” movie, much of it implicitly sexual, as they try to turn one another toward their respective sides of the Force. Asked whether Driver was shy about the scene, Johnson says the actor “knew he looked good.”

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:55 pm

for those, like me, who did not know:

Darth Plagueis

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Plagueis

"Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."
―Palpatine[src]

Darth Plagueis was a male Dark Lord of the Sith and the master of Darth Sidious. He acquired considerable knowledge in the field of midi-chlorian manipulation, but was ultimately betrayed and murdered by his own apprentice, in accordance with the "Rule of Two." Sidious later recounted the tale of his master's demise to lure Anakin Skywalker to the dark side.

"Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself."
―Palpatine, to Anakin Skywalker[src]

Postby waauw on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:08 pm

What in hell was Fin's function in this movie? The entirity of character development seems to be about Rey and Ren. All of Fin's plotline seems to be nothing but a sequence of mindless action scenes set in stark contrast to Rey.
Lieutenant waauw

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,