Conquer Club

Atheism. Is there more to it than just mocking people?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Atheism. Is there more to it than just mocking people?

Postby Symmetry on Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:53 am

Bigbullets wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Bigbullets wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
warmonger1981 wrote:So basically science is relative to our understandings. Sounds like an argument for God not against. Just because you don't understand God does not mean that there is no God. Just like that understanding science. Just because you don't understand it does that mean it does not exist. It sounds like an initiate into Freemasonry. If you are not able to understand you are not given an answer. Eyes for those to see and ears for those to hear.

I really don't see belief in God as opposed to belief in science. It's opposed only when people put faith above reason. Take the KJV literalists, for example, or the Christian Scientists who eschew modern medicine like blood transfusion.

Always reminds me of the joke about the drowning man. A man is drowning. A lifeguard comes out, but the man says, "no, God will save me". A boat reaches him and offers help, but again, the man says "God will save me". A helicopter arrives to pull him out, and again the man refuses there help- "God will save me, I have faith".

The man drowns, and at St Peter's gate he demands to know why God didn't save him. "What do you mean?" says St Peter "We sent a lifeguard, a boat, and a helicopter..."

It's just a joke, obviously. but it does have a point.

KJV literalists?

People who believe in the Bible, but specifically the King James version of the Bible, as opposed to other versions.

I believe the Bible. So do a lot of people. And the KJV is the most accurate translation we have in english. And has the most supporting manuscripts.

It just makes you look silly putting people who believe a very mainstream english translation of the Bible in with Christian Scientists.

One of the key things is that the KJV version of the Bible was authorised by King James I of England (VI of Scotland, iirc). KJV literalists tend to forget about that.

Now, at that point in history, there were a few different versions of the Bible (I know that you think that the Bible is the Bible, but it's not quite that simplistic).

So, anyway, James I (and IV) needs to prove that he is divinely appointed as king. A problem of legitimacy, if you're still following, So he gets a new Bible produced. And, of course, that's now the Bible.

Bit silly to forget how the KJV Bible is one version among many, dontcha think?
Last edited by Symmetry on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:24 am

VI of Scotland, methinks.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 am

jonesthecurl wrote:VI of Scotland, methinks.

Cheers, fixed. Stupid fingers.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,