Conquer Club

GRRM: Trump is king Joffrey

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

GRRM: Trump is king Joffrey

Postby waauw on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 am

They have the same level of emotional maturity. And Joffrey likes to remind everyone that he’s king. And he thinks that gives him the ability to do anything. And we’re not an absolute monarchy, like Westeros is. We’re a constitutional republic. And yet, Trump doesn’t seem to know what that means. He thinks the presidency gives him the power to do anything.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a23863674/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-politics-trump-climate-change/

Also, the whitewalkers are an analogy to climate change.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: GRRM: Trump is king Joffrey

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:26 am

Is Melania more like Sansa or more Like Maergery?
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:23 pm

betiko wrote:Is Melania more like Sansa or more Like Maergery?

Considering how unhappy she looks, maybe more like the whore that he shot full of arrows.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:41 pm

waauw wrote:
They have the same level of emotional maturity. And Joffrey likes to remind everyone that he’s king. And he thinks that gives him the ability to do anything. And we’re not an absolute monarchy, like Westeros is. We’re a constitutional republic. And yet, Trump doesn’t seem to know what that means. He thinks the presidency gives him the power to do anything.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a23863674/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-politics-trump-climate-change/

Hermione is black and Dumbledore is gay.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:13 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
waauw wrote:

TGD- please don't repeat your freak-out over Star Wars actors. That was embarrassing.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
waauw wrote:

TGD- please don't repeat your freak-out over Star Wars actors. That was embarrassing.

Are you sure that was me? I loved The Last Jedi.

Postby betiko on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Colin Farrel was great in that movie
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Wed May 01, 2019 3:03 am

waauw wrote:Also, the whitewalkers are an analogy to climate change.

And the seven kingdoms are based on medieval England.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
waauw wrote:

Are you sure that was me? I loved The Last Jedi.

Perhaps my mistake- I remembered you saying that some of the actors had been cast due to political correctness.

I could be wrong, but I enjoyed the movie too.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Well, to be honest, I think some of the actors were hired to portray some kind of racial diversity. I'm as indifferent as long as they are good actors. Boyega is great. Diego Luna was great. No complaints from me.

I was more commenting on JK Rowling trying to be more woke. I'm waiting for Stephen King to start doing it - The Walking Dude is really Trump!

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 01, 2019 10:12 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Well, to be honest, I think some of the actors were hired to portray some kind of racial diversity. I'm as indifferent as long as they are good actors. Boyega is great. Diego Luna was great. No complaints from me.

I was more commenting on JK Rowling trying to be more woke. I'm waiting for Stephen King to start doing it - The Walking Dude is really Trump!

Honestly, I'm just glad you've calmed down so much over it. If you've got to the point that they were cast because they are good actors, that's progress, even if you need to throw in the occasional comment about them being diversity hires.

You should probably avoid watching The Dark Tower, btw, but that's generally good advice for everyone.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Thu May 02, 2019 9:26 am

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Well, to be honest, I think some of the actors were hired to portray some kind of racial diversity. I'm as indifferent as long as they are good actors. Boyega is great. Diego Luna was great. No complaints from me.

Honestly, I'm just glad you've calmed down so much over it. If you've got to the point that they were cast because they are good actors, that's progress, even if you need to throw in the occasional comment about them being diversity hires.

You should probably avoid watching The Dark Tower, btw, but that's generally good advice for everyone.

My opinion to "cast good actors" has never changed. My opinion that it is bad to cast not good actors for the sake of diversity has also never changed.

I suppose I could quibble with how Marvel's main characters have become diverse, but that appears to have been driven by the market and not by any apparent wokeness so I'm largely indifferent to that as well (plus I haven't read any Marvel superhero comics in years).

My favorite comic currently is Doctor Aphra (Marvel, Star Wars). Aphra appears to be Asian (although there is no "Asia" in Star Wars) and gay; neither of those things bother me.

If you're itching for an argument, as evidenced by your "I'm just glad you've calmed down" and "that's progress" (as if my position has somehow changed), I can pretend something bothers me. Do you have a particular preference as to what that would be? Is there a particular conservative character you'd like me to cosplay?

Postby mrswdk on Thu May 02, 2019 9:39 am

thegreekdog wrote:cosplay

Cultural appropriation.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby jimboston on Thu May 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Not that anyone is taking any of this seriously, but...

The books were written well in advance of Trump ever running for President. I don’t think GRRM had the foresight to predict not only Trump running, but also him winning, and then being the nutjob he has become. Therefore, Joffrey is NOT an analog for Trump.

jimboston wins again!
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

My opinion to "cast good actors" has never changed. My opinion that it is bad to cast not good actors for the sake of diversity has also never changed.

I suppose I could quibble with how Marvel's main characters have become diverse, but that appears to have been driven by the market and not by any apparent wokeness so I'm largely indifferent to that as well (plus I haven't read any Marvel superhero comics in years).

My favorite comic currently is Doctor Aphra (Marvel, Star Wars). Aphra appears to be Asian (although there is no "Asia" in Star Wars) and gay; neither of those things bother me.

If you're itching for an argument, as evidenced by your "I'm just glad you've calmed down" and "that's progress" (as if my position has somehow changed), I can pretend something bothers me. Do you have a particular preference as to what that would be? Is there a particular conservative character you'd like me to cosplay?

Dude, you were pissed off and obviously still are that great actors were cast not because of their talent, but because of their racial background (as a heads up, you've never criticised white actors being cast in Star Wars films being cast because of their race. If Mark Hammel was a black dude, you know he wouldn't have been cast).

Obviously I was needling you given your outspoken disdain of the casting of the last film. I'm not sure that you've let these things go though.

Let it go, dude. You can't go through life watching fun movies thinking "that actor is only in that role for diversity".
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm

“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Image

It's not really a trap if I'm directing him to a hole he already dug, is it? Plus I told him to stop digging that hole at the time. Plus he says it's not a hole.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Dude, you were pissed off and obviously still are that great actors were cast not because of their talent, but because of their racial background (as a heads up, you've never criticised white actors being cast in Star Wars films being cast because of their race. If Mark Hammel was a black dude, you know he wouldn't have been cast).

Obviously I was needling you given your outspoken disdain of the casting of the last film. I'm not sure that you've let these things go though.

Let it go, dude. You can't go through life watching fun movies thinking "that actor is only in that role for diversity".

Okay, but I'm literally not doing any of those things. I wasn't and I'm not pissed off that great actors are cast regardless of their race/ethnicity/sexual orientation/etc. I criticize actors regardless of race/ethnicity/sexual orientation, etc. I was not disdainful of the casting choices of the last film (I was disdainful of some of the situations - like Leia having god-like force powers and Ackbar dying with no fanfare). I've definitely let it go; if I recall correctly, you were the first one to bring it up.

Postby Symmetry on Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Hey- if you've let that stuff go, I'll take your word for it. I won't quote you on it again. Fair's fair.

Leia having force powers was kinda weird for me too. I get that she's a Skywalker, and there's a ton of stuff between Return of the Jedi and the new trilogy that fans love- comics, novels etc. It wasn't a great way to establish that she has the force though in the movie. I was more pissed off that the Skywalker twins blanked Chewie in both films.

That was cold.
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,