Conquer Club

Dune

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Dune

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:43 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Sadly he's moved back to NJ -

It's sad that he moved, or sad that he moved to New Jersey?

Almost certainly both

Yup.
Though I do think NJ is far better than its reputation.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:59 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:the explanation that the emperor was afraid of their power didn't make any sense - the movie fairly clearly stated that the house full of bald guys was way more wealthy and powerful, so you'd have thought if he was going to backstab anyone it would have been them

House Harkonnen had arms and troops but House Atreides was gaining political support among the other houses of the Lansraad. House Corrino, the Emperor's house, owns the largest number of shares of stock in the CHOAM Corporation, which actually mines the Spice Melange, but the other houses - if they vote together - could outvote House Corrino. So the Padishah Emperor had to create chaos to prevent unity among the houses of the Lansraad.

The houses also can't engage in protracted war with each other because they each have an emergency store of nuclear weapons available as a last resort, so they have to resort to sneak attacks and sabotage. The use of nuclear weapons was banned after the destruction of Earth in the Jihad, but each house is allowed to keep some in reserve in case humanity ever encounters an alien species.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby bigtoughralf on Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:55 pm

Well that was NOT made clear. The jihad vibe was pretty obvious though, the movie was quite transparently an analogy for the English invasion of Ireland.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Well the Jihad occurs 7,000 years before the events in the film when Faykan Butler leads a revolt called the Butlerian Jihad. In the final battle of the Jihad, Butler orders the destruction of Earth with nuclear weapons in order to take-out the government computer system Omnius. The human species retreats into deep space with its remaining nuclear weapons, bans computers, and descends into a feudal system of government. Some of this is explained in the prologue to the Lynch film.

(In the seventh book - set another 20,000 years after the events in the film - it's revealed that, unknown to anyone, Omnius launched a self-replicating construction probe into deep space moments before Earth was destroyed and has spent the last 27,000 years rebuilding itself in the Andromeda Galaxy. The events in Dune set into motion a sequence of events that leads to humans entering the Andromeda Galaxy, accidentally making contact with Omnius and revealing the location of the human species to it. The series then abruptly stops with the heavy implication that Omnius returns and wipes out the human species.)
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby riskllama on Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:01 pm

anyone else find this slightly weird seeing saxi passionate about something other than Hot Pockets, US politics or Covid-19?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Maxleod on Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:39 pm

A sand planet, giant worms, a "chosen one", galactic plots, a mysterious "force", an evil emperor, Dune is nothing but a Star Wars rip-off.
I'm not gonna see it.

let's see who takes the bait first. i bet llama
Lieutenant Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Postby jonesthecurl on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:13 pm

Published in 1965.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby riskllama on Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:44 pm

lol, Max = smrt
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:14 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:the explanation that the emperor was afraid of their power didn't make any sense - the movie fairly clearly stated that the house full of bald guys was way more wealthy and powerful, so you'd have thought if he was going to backstab anyone it would have been them

House Harkonnen had arms and troops but House Atreides was gaining political support among the other houses of the Lansraad. House Corrino, the Emperor's house, owns the largest number of shares of stock in the CHOAM Corporation, which actually mines the Spice Melange, but the other houses - if they vote together - could outvote House Corrino. So the Padishah Emperor had to create chaos to prevent unity among the houses of the Lansraad.

The houses also can't engage in protracted war with each other because they each have an emergency store of nuclear weapons available as a last resort, so they have to resort to sneak attacks and sabotage. The use of nuclear weapons was banned after the destruction of Earth in the Jihad, but each house is allowed to keep some in reserve in case humanity ever encounters an alien species.

Wow, saxi gives a straightforward explanation about something.

Four thumbs up!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:52 am

OH yeah, I also forgot one of my favorite scenes ... so much foreshadowing ... as the Harkonnen are leaving Arrakis, Chani says "Why did the Emperor choose this path, and who will our next oppressors be?" ... and then it instantly cut to Paul!!! I mean like just 5 seconds of super subtle set-up for the third movie! =D> Like even if you aren't familiar with the text, but you're watching carefully, you get the sense that not everything is right with Paul.

And also this scene of Salusa Secundus!!!

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:29 am

I think that's subtext you're reading into the film because you've read the books tbh. I didn't get any bad vibes from Paul during the film. To me Chani's comment just sounded like the comment of a jaded desert person assuming the next house will be just as oppressive as the last, rather than anything prescient.

Also shout out to the actor who played that Fremen judge character, who some UK viewers will know from Top Boy as Ranell's mum. Another Top Boy actor storming Hollywood (Letitia Weight being another one).

riskllama wrote:anyone else find this slightly weird seeing saxi passionate about something other than Hot Pockets, US politics or Covid-19?

I think it's because he has a femboy fetish. Just look how devoted he is to that Chinese transexual who used to post here.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:42 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
riskllama wrote:anyone else find this slightly weird seeing saxi passionate about something other than Hot Pockets, US politics or Covid-19?

I think it's because he has a femboy fetish. Just look how devoted he is to that Chinese transexual who used to post here.

More like the Chinese kid was devoted to me. Always trying to taste test my kielbasa. I finally had to say "BACK OFF."
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:48 pm

More likely Vienna sausage.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:08 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

More like the Chinese kid was devoted to me. Always trying to taste test my kielbasa. I finally had to say "BACK OFF."

Ambiguous response tbh

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby KoolBak on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:03 am

Normally I don't see posts from ralf, but since someone quoted it, I have this question:

Ralf's been here 60 days. Who the f*ck is he referring to so familiarly that "used to post here" and how TF does he know this?

Sounds like someone has returned. Shouldn't the mods check this out and axe this new douche?

I lol'd at dune being a star wars ripoff :lol: I read this in 71.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:05 am

Dukasaur wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:My biggest complaint? WTF were they doing with the bagpipes, that just seemed so out of place to me.

Did seem a little odd. But the Great Houses all have little things tying them to their semi-mythical ancestries on Old Earth. 99% of Old Earth's culture was lost in the Butlerian Jihad. The tiny little scraps that remain are cherished. I think the bagpipes are meant to be exactly this. A tiny little scrap of prehistoric human culture that survived the Jihad and signals House Atreides' pre-Jihad ancestry.

I've had additional thoughts on this.

Frank Herbert was strongly influenced by Lawrence of Arabia in designing the character of Paul.

I think the bagpipes are a homage to the cinematic rendition of Lawrence of Arabia.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:53 am

KoolBak wrote:Normally I don't see posts from ralf, but since someone quoted it, I have this question:

Ralf's been here 60 days. Who the f*ck is he referring to so familiarly that "used to post here" and how TF does he know this?

Sounds like someone has returned. Shouldn't the mods check this out and axe this new douche?

I mentioned it to Ralf in an inbox conversation, which is how he knows about it.

Dukasaur wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:My biggest complaint? WTF were they doing with the bagpipes, that just seemed so out of place to me.

Did seem a little odd. But the Great Houses all have little things tying them to their semi-mythical ancestries on Old Earth. 99% of Old Earth's culture was lost in the Butlerian Jihad. The tiny little scraps that remain are cherished. I think the bagpipes are meant to be exactly this. A tiny little scrap of prehistoric human culture that survived the Jihad and signals House Atreides' pre-Jihad ancestry.

I've had additional thoughts on this.

Frank Herbert was strongly influenced by Lawrence of Arabia in designing the character of Paul.

I think the bagpipes are a homage to the cinematic rendition of Lawrence of Arabia.

GOOD CALL! =D> =D> =D>
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby KoolBak on Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:23 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
KoolBak wrote:Normally I don't see posts from ralf, but since someone quoted it, I have this question:

I mentioned it to Ralf in an inbox conversation, which is how he knows about it.

Copy me. I don't believe you :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:11 am

Who else is PUMPED about Steven Spielberg's West Side Story? I was honestly skeptical but the trailer has me excited! Initially I thought they should have placed it in contemporary times, though I suppose it would be a little unbelievable to have a Puerto Rican street gang on the West Side of Manhattan in 2021. (Thanks, Giuliani!)

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 am

I skimmed the trailer and couldn't see any femboys. So what's got you so excited?

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:I skimmed the trailer and couldn't see any femboys.

I heard you were starring in it.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:00 pm

DUNE Part 2, Trailer 2 just dropped ...

- 2 seconds you see Christopher Walken as the Padishah Emperor
- Start to foreshadow Paul's transformation into mad cult leader

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:50 am

Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:50 am

I was very excited to hear this.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,