Conquer Club

Christmas food

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

When is it acceptable to start eating Christmas food?

September
33%
October
No votes
November
11%
December (1st-23rd)
33%
Christmas Eve
22%
Christmas Day
No votes
Never - it is a celebration of false gods
No votes

Total votes : 9

Re: Christmas food

Postby jimboston on Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:59 pm

GaryDenton wrote:This is another holiday food - Apple Cranberry Vegetarian Dressing.

More often called stuffing down here because these bread crumbs or cornbread mixtures were used to stuff turkeys before we found it was better to cook it separately.

http://elemming.blogspot.com/2019/11/99-vegetarian-mushroom-apple-cranberry.html

99% Vegetarian Mushroom Apple Cranberry Sausage Dressing

Friendsgiving Dressing

99% Vegetarian Thanksgiving Dressing Recipe

1 cup sweet onion chopped (½ a Honeysweet onion)
1 cup chopped mushrooms (½ an 8 oz package)
1 cup chopped meatless sausage links (8 oz package)
¾ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped red pepper
2 medium chopped apples
¾ cup dried cranberries
¾ cup chopped pecans
1 6 oz. box whole wheat bread crumbs stuffing mix
1 6 oz. box Hawaiian bread crumbs stuffing mix
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp. sage
2 tsp. ground rosemary
½ tsp. thyme
2 tsp. basil

In a large bowl cook fruit, nuts, chopped vegetables, meatless sausage, and spices in oil in a microwave on 80% power for 20 minutes stirring several times. Stir in breadcrumbs and broth and cook at 80% power for 20 minutes stirring two or three times.

As always, the recipe is only a starting point and is modified based on whimsy and what is available at the time.

“Friendsgiving” and “Vegan” Dressing

Figures

Fucking “Friendsgiving”… how about people have families and love their damien’s and center their life around their families?

f*ck your “friendsgiving”.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby bigtoughralf on Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:36 pm

Maxleod wrote:Of course you don't like Christmas food, or anything Christmas-related, Jew.

Found the Kanye fan.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:56 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Votanic wrote:Many people serve a similar or identical meal at both U.S. Thanksgiving* and Christmas (or other year-end holidays).

I'm completely fine with that because I love all the classic Thanksgiving dishes: turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, yams, various greens, and pumpkin pie.

It's a meal too good to be eaten only once a year.

*Perhaps Canadian Thanksgiving too.

It's all disgusting crap.

I do eat it, since I've married three Canadians in a row so I always get invited to all these stupid Thanksgiving dinners by my various in-laws and I'm not boorish enough to insult a free dinner, but I see no value in it.

Turkey=most boring meat imaginable. Potatoes, pumpkin, turnip=disgusting, carbohydrate-laden, bland, texture-free vegetables. Stuffing=a way to recycle bread that should have been fed to the hogs.

I was with you all the way until a read potatoes. Now, I don't think the thanksgiving version of potatoes are potatoes being their best self but they are the best think on the table next to turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, or any of the crazy american diabetes inducing shit like sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top those mash potatoes are probably the only thing I'll actually enjoy. f*ck gravy out of a packet, I'm just eating those potatoes naked.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Votanic on Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:34 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:I was with you all the way until a read potatoes. Now, I don't think the thanksgiving version of potatoes are potatoes being their best self but they are the best think on the table next to turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, or any of the crazy american diabetes inducing shit like sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top those mash potatoes are probably the only thing I'll actually enjoy. f*ck gravy out of a packet, I'm just eating those potatoes naked.

This paragraph is really hard to follow, but overall I am picking up on a pro-potato vibe.

Dukasaur wrote:I do eat it, since I've married three Canadians in a row so I always get invited to all these stupid Thanksgiving dinners by my various in-laws and I'm not boorish enough to insult a free dinner, but I see no value in it.

So you are only Canadian by marriage? What kind of Thanksgiving did you experience as a child?
Captain Votanic

Postby bigtoughralf on Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm

Duk's European, so Christmas was celebrated with the annual family orgy.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:09 pm

Votanic wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:I was with you all the way until a read potatoes. Now, I don't think the thanksgiving version of potatoes are potatoes being their best self but they are the best think on the table next to turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, or any of the crazy american diabetes inducing shit like sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top those mash potatoes are probably the only thing I'll actually enjoy. f*ck gravy out of a packet, I'm just eating those potatoes naked.

This paragraph is really hard to follow, but overall I am picking up on a pro-potato vibe.

Dukasaur wrote:I do eat it, since I've married three Canadians in a row so I always get invited to all these stupid Thanksgiving dinners by my various in-laws and I'm not boorish enough to insult a free dinner, but I see no value in it.

So you are only Canadian by marriage? What kind of Thanksgiving did you experience as a child?

Never really had one.

My father was not only a militant atheist but actually a militant anti-all-social-conventions rebel. So he refused to recognize any holidays, whether religious or secular.

My mother was a little more conventional, so she did try to celebrate Christmas and Easter despite my father's objections. Especially if my father was away on a trip, we'd paint Easter eggs together at Easter and have Christmas dinner at Christmas.

There is no Czech equivalent for Thanksgiving, however, so that wasn't on her radar. Plus we lived in Fort Erie (a border crossing between Canada and the U.S.) so I got conflicting messages from my Canadian teachers and American radio stations about when Thanksgiving even was! About the only thing I remember is being forced to make papier mâché Turkeys at school.

Some of our friends did go to Oktoberfest parties, so I did get to some of those. That's about the closest I got to a Thanksgiving party until my first marriage.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Votanic on Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Votanic wrote:

Never really had one.

My father was not only a militant atheist but actually a militant anti-all-social-conventions rebel. So he refused to recognize any holidays, whether religious or secular.

My mother was a little more conventional, so she did try to celebrate Christmas and Easter despite my father's objections. Especially if my father was away on a trip, we'd paint Easter eggs together at Easter and have Christmas dinner at Christmas.

There is no Czech equivalent for Thanksgiving, however, so that wasn't on her radar. Plus we lived in Fort Erie (a border crossing between Canada and the U.S.) so I got conflicting messages from my Canadian teachers and American radio stations about when Thanksgiving even was! About the only thing I remember is being forced to make papier mâché Turkeys at school.

Some of our friends did go to Oktoberfest parties, so I did get to some of those. That's about the closest I got to a Thanksgiving party until my first marriage.

That is a really moving story, Duk. You should turn this into a screenplay. You could be the next Erin Brockovich.
Captain Votanic

Postby Votanic on Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:43 pm

Pecan pie is by far, my least favorite kind of pie, at least among 'normal' pie variations.

Pecans are basically underperforming walnuts, but thereal problem with pecan pie is that brown sugar and corn starch slime that the nuts are congealed within.

Tonight I ate several slices of pecan pie.

It seemed okay... I told myself it was better refrigerated, but I think I was just craving sugar.

Now I don't feel so good.

Pecan pie is still my least favorite kind of pie.
Captain Votanic

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:32 am

Whoever voted September has the patience of a cat. Just wait god dammit!
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby TeeGee on Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:07 am

If beer is a xmas food, i consume it on a regular basis, year round

I saw yams mentioned here.. I always thought yams were sweet potatoes, surprised to learn they are not.
Its a new food for me to try..

Click image to enlarge.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:20 am

Putting up with Christmas nonsense should be restricted to the period of Dec 21st (to celebrate the holiday's true meaning as a pagan celebration of the solstice) to the actual day of Christian Christmas on Jan 7th.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:48 am

I LOVE Xmas and it's joy, food, decor, music, etc. I started decorating a week ago

You should come hang with me, DoD...maybe I could knock some of that curmudgeon outta ya :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Votanic on Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:15 pm

TeeGee wrote:If beer is a xmas food, i consume it on a regular basis, year round

I saw yams mentioned here.. I always thought yams were sweet potatoes, surprised to learn they are not.
Its a new food for me to try..

Click image to enlarge.

Yes, sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) and true yams (Dioscorea spp.) are completely different starchy vegetables.

In most temperate regions, true yams are relatively rarely grown or sold.
However in some regions of the U.S., sweet potatoes are often called yams.
Captain Votanic

Postby Votanic on Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:34 am

Make sure to eat many persimmons (Diospyros kaki cvs.) this autumn.

Ripe Hachiya are the best.... but also get some Fuyu because you can eat that kind before they're completely ripe... and you will want to eat some kind of persimmon while the Hachiya are ripening.
Also hang them from a string and let them in a cool, dry room. A properly dried persimmon is as sweet and moist as a Medjool date (Phoenix dactylifera cv.), but larger and even better.
Captain Votanic

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:45 am

Dukasaur wrote:Putting up with Christmas nonsense should be restricted to the period of Dec 21st (to celebrate the holiday's true meaning as a pagan celebration of the solstice) to the actual day of Christian Christmas on Jan 7th.

This is the kind of nonsense up with which I shall not put.

1. "true meaning" does not fit this sentence at all. By making up an artificial meaning for yourself does not make it 'true'. The first mention of Christmas refers to it as "For the first advent of our Lord in the flesh, when he was born in Bethlehem, was December 25th, Wednesday, while Augustus was in his forty-second year, but from Adam, five thousand and five hundred years. He suffered in the thirty-third year, March 25th, Friday, the eighteenth year of Tiberius Caesar, while Rufus and Roubellion were Consuls." (taken from a commentary on Daniel by Hippolytus c.170-235). So to get "true meaning" of "when he was born in Bethlehem" to be the 'solstice' makes no sense. Even the much later Chronograph of 354 refers to Christmas as "Birth of Christ in Bethlehem of Judea".
  2. Nobody claims the actual day of Christian Christmas is January 7th. The Orthodox liturgical calendar celebrates it on December 25th. However, they observe December 25th on the day that we chose as January 7th. This isn't unique to Christmas. They celebrate all the days 13 days apart from us since the year 1900. In 2100, it will move to a 14 day gap and every hundred years (or 200) the gap will increase by a day until eventually the calendars are reunited for a hundred (or 200) years. That should happen in AD 48 900.
  3. Every day is a fitting day to celebrate the Incarnation, when God became flesh, the infinite became finite, the eternal became temporal. Without that, there would be no hope for mankind.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:19 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Putting up with Christmas nonsense should be restricted to the period of Dec 21st (to celebrate the holiday's true meaning as a pagan celebration of the solstice) to the actual day of Christian Christmas on Jan 7th.

1. "true meaning" does not fit this sentence at all. By making up an artificial meaning for yourself does not make it 'true'. The first mention of Christmas refers to it as "For the first advent of our Lord in the flesh, when he was born in Bethlehem, was December 25th, Wednesday, while Augustus was in his forty-second year, but from Adam, five thousand and five hundred years. He suffered in the thirty-third year, March 25th, Friday, the eighteenth year of Tiberius Caesar, while Rufus and Roubellion were Consuls." (taken from a commentary on Daniel by Hippolytus c.170-235). So to get "true meaning" of "when he was born in Bethlehem" to be the 'solstice' makes no sense. Even the much later Chronograph of 354 refers to Christmas as "Birth of Christ in Bethlehem of Judea".
  2. Nobody claims the actual day of Christian Christmas is January 7th. The Orthodox liturgical calendar celebrates it on December 25th. However, they observe December 25th on the day that we chose as January 7th. This isn't unique to Christmas. They celebrate all the days 13 days apart from us since the year 1900. In 2100, it will move to a 14 day gap and every hundred years (or 200) the gap will increase by a day until eventually the calendars are reunited for a hundred (or 200) years. That should happen in AD 48 900.
  3. Every day is a fitting day to celebrate the Incarnation, when God became flesh, the infinite became finite, the eternal became temporal. Without that, there would be no hope for mankind.

Yeah, it's never a bad time to be joyful, whatever the reason. All the best.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:00 am

DoomYoshi wrote:

If the Eastern (Orthodox) Church would adopt the Gregorian calendar, and give up the much less accurate Julian calendar, this problem (January 7) would be solved.

There were two reasons to establish the Gregorian calendar. First, the Julian calendar assumed incorrectly that the average solar year is exactly 365.25 days long, an overestimate of a little under one day per century, and thus has a leap year every four years without exception. The Gregorian reform shortened the average (calendar) year by 0.0075 days to stop the drift of the calendar with respect to the equinoxes.[3] Second, in the years since the First Council of Nicaea in AD 325,[b] the excess leap days introduced by the Julian algorithm had caused the calendar to drift such that the (Northern) spring equinox was occurring well before its nominal 21 March date. This date was important to the Christian churches because it is fundamental to the calculation of the date of Easter. To reinstate the association, the reform advanced the date by 10 days:[c] Thursday 4 October 1582 was followed by Friday 15 October 1582.[3] In addition, the reform also altered the lunar cycle used by the Church to calculate the date for Easter, because astronomical new moons were occurring four days before the calculated dates. Whilst the reform introduced minor changes, the calendar continued to be fundamentally based on the same geocentric theory as its predecessor.[4]

(...)

By any criterion, the Gregorian calendar is substantially more accurate than the 1 day in 128 years error of the Julian calendar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

BUT, the most important point here is stated very well by both Duk and DY:

Every day is a fitting day to celebrate the Incarnation, when God became flesh, the infinite became finite, the eternal became temporal. Without that, there would be no hope for mankind.

Yeah, it's never a bad time to be joyful, whatever the reason. All the best.

I totally agree. Let me say it here: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to ALL.

I am grateful for good discussions and enjoy the challenge to offer good arguments and to find information to learn more and to sharpen my mental faculties.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby Votanic on Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:33 pm

Now might be a good time to review and critique our holiday, dietary choices.

Personally, I'm going to try to be even less social next year and thus avoid situations that might incur the consumption of unnecessary calories... but we shall see.
Captain Votanic

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,