Conquer Club

What's up with Yukon?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What's up with Yukon?

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:06 am

Why everybody killing each other way up there?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Re: What's up with Yukon?

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:12 am

I'm told it's just a result of small sample sizes making the statistics subject to random skew.

Small population sizes contributed to the high rates reported per 100,000 population — according to Statistics Canada, there were three homicides each in Yukon and Northwest Territories in 2014, and four in Nunavut, for a total of 10 across the territories.

But the Yukon is kind of like our Wild West. When I was in Dawson, I saw a guy ride his horse right up to the bar and order a drink, just like in some kind of western.

Canada's normally strict gun laws are relaxed when you're in bear country, and everything up there is bear country.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 am

Plus it's not just the adorable little 600-700 pound grizzly bears such as we have down south here, they also have polar bears.

show: polar bear video

I thought there would be Kodiaks there as well, but it seems they are only in Alaska. Coastal Browns might wander in on occasion but they would be quite rare.

There could be disputes over gold claims, there's a bit more isolation than Alaska and the North West Territories and finally same as the rest of the areas in that latitude, in winter the sun sets for several months.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:02 am

Dukasaur wrote:I'm told it's just a result of small sample sizes making the statistics subject to random skew.

Small population sizes contributed to the high rates reported per 100,000 population — according to Statistics Canada, there were three homicides each in Yukon and Northwest Territories in 2014, and four in Nunavut, for a total of 10 across the territories.

This makes sense; a small sample size can distort the data when compare to larger sample sizes. Those who studied and understand statistics know that factor well.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,