Conquer Club

World too populated?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is the World over-populated (with humans)?

Total votes : 0

Postby Mr_Adams on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:43 pm

DaGip wrote:Okay! Here is my solution...we invent some type of Nanotechnology that you can program to shut off sperm manufaturing from the testes...you can shut off sperm production or turn it on when you need to start making more babies! :P

Technology way beyond our time.

Chris7He wrote:
Neutrino wrote:
Chris7He wrote:
It's not suffering if I give them euthanasia. Mass murder is the answer to everything!

Since paragraphs don't seem to be getting the point across, I'll go the other extreme.

No.

You know... Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, and Lenin were my four favorite people. I used to have posters of them all over my room. I used to vandalize the school with their symbols until I got suspended for racism.

doesn't suprise me...
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby DaGip on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:47 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:
DaGip wrote:Okay! Here is my solution...we invent some type of Nanotechnology that you can program to shut off sperm manufaturing from the testes...you can shut off sperm production or turn it on when you need to start making more babies! :P

Technology way beyond our time.

Only because you don't believe! :roll:
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:55 am

Mr_Adams wrote:
Chris7He wrote:
Neutrino wrote:
Chris7He wrote:
It's not suffering if I give them euthanasia. Mass murder is the answer to everything!

Since paragraphs don't seem to be getting the point across, I'll go the other extreme.

No.

You know... Hitler, Himmler, Stalin, and Lenin were my four favorite people. I used to have posters of them all over my room. I used to vandalize the school with their symbols until I got suspended for racism.

doesn't suprise me...
Same here.
Last edited by muy_thaiguy on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Ettin on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:35 pm

I seriously hope that anyone suggesting mass murder is just joking, or maybe hasn't given the matter much thought. I do not believe that the worlds population needs to decrease, i think it would be better that way, but not necessary. The population does need to stop growing at such a rapid rate. Maybe laws that started weaker, such as a limit to no more than 3 or 4 kids, and then go from there.
Corporal 1st Class Ettin

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:49 pm

how about anyone who gets less than a 3.0 Gpa (in a public school) isn't aloud to have more than 1 kid? We can do 3 things at once 1)stop the rapid growth of human population 2) give +++insentive for kids to do well in school an 3) we can test the theory that inteligents is hereditary :D
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby got tonkaed on Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:how about anyone who gets less than a 3.0 Gpa (in a public school) isn't aloud to have more than 1 kid? We can do 3 things at once 1)stop the rapid growth of human population 2) give +++insentive for kids to do well in school an 3) we can test the theory that inteligents is hereditary :D

how about this....ill agree to that standard as long as i can pick the school district your children or future children go to school in. Then we can test whether or not the quality of school district has anything to do with the achievement potential of children mr eugenicist.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:04 pm

fine! You see, unlike some people, I'll be willing to And have the ability to help My kids with thier homework... Well you can choose schools if I don't put them in private school...
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby got tonkaed on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:fine! You see, unlike some people, I'll be willing to And have the ability to help My kids with thier homework... Well you can choose schools if I don't put them in private school...

well see i forgot part of the game....in order to make the experience more realistic your family will have to take on some charcteristics that may make the situation more realistic.

If i choose lets say East St. Louis as the area, you would in all likelyhood not have a steady job. You also would probably not be able to recieve as much government assistance as youd hope for, because people in your state are voting for representation that cuts social programs.

If you still have time to help your kids with homework after working 2 jobs and odd shifts, then of course by all means, thats what those parents try to do.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:30 pm

well atleast my suggestion doesn't involve mass murder! also, population limits will stop the people with such jobs from having multiple children to take care of.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Now this may sound a bit crazy, and it is in a way, but we should start thinking about other planets as an option i.e. mars. Take note that this is for the distant future. Now I admit, this will take a while but it is a serious suggestion being proposed by many people. It still considered somewhat of myth, but hear me out on this one:

Water and other necessary chemicals for sustaining life have been found to be present on mars. Unfortunately, the water is frozen underground. So we would need to warm up mars. We know how to do that, we have been doing it for years on earth. Emit mass amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere through what are essentially greenhouse gas factories, spilling out a much greater amount of greenhouse gases than on earth. With this, it would take about 100 years to warm up mars past the freezing point to melt the ice and create water. The soil, believe it or not is fertile enough for some plant life, so we introduce plants into the environment, and without predators, and mass amounts of carbon dioxide as energy the plants (in theory) will flourish. The plants then release oxygen making the atmosphere habitable to humans - without any oxygen masks, only a pressure suit until the pressure eventually equalizes. Of course this process would take a few hundred years or so, but within the span of humanity, that is a small amount of time to wait. This still seems a bit out of reach seeing that humans haven't even stepped foot on mars yet, but it is still an option being seriously considered by many astronomers, and others. Yea, its crazy, but it just might work. And you don't have to kill any babies. Well maybe a few.
Last edited by ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private 1st Class ritz627

Postby war_bloodline on Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm

Sadly some people beleive they need to end others lives.

Where I live a gunmen went into a church and killed 2 girls. Before that he killed 2 others in Denver. He would die himself at the church.

I don't know if you have or have not heard that news.

also....

Their was also a kid who shot himself out in the front of our school in Sep. and he was a Juinor like me, and I knew him very well.

Cadet war_bloodline

Postby a-person1192 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm

in reply to ritz627

If only scientists at NASA could find a way to get to mars and make it a reality.
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:08 pm

a-person1192 wrote:in reply to ritz627

If only scientists at NASA could find a way to get to mars and make it a reality.

Yea, but even one mission alone would be difficult to do and would cost millions and millions of dollars with today's technology, so until our technology in the area improves, I think it will take a while. It's hard to blame NASA on this one.

Postby unriggable on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:21 pm

Ritz thats impossible. There needs to be nitrogen in the soil, in a specific form, which is made by bacteria, which won't be able to exist on mars.
Cook unriggable

Postby ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:25 pm

unriggable wrote:Ritz thats impossible. There needs to be nitrogen in the soil, in a specific form, which is made by bacteria, which won't be able to exist on mars.

If I'm not mistaken, there is nitrogen in the soil, and we still aren't certain whether bacteria exist or not on mars, there could easily be some deeper in the ground where it is warmer.

Postby unriggable on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm

ritz627 wrote:
unriggable wrote:Ritz thats impossible. There needs to be nitrogen in the soil, in a specific form, which is made by bacteria, which won't be able to exist on mars.

If I'm not mistaken, there is nitrogen in the soil, and we still aren't certain whether bacteria exist or not on mars, there could easily be some deeper in the ground where it is warmer.

They would have to live very far down, but there is no water there so the wouldn't survive. It is very doubtful that they exist there.
Cook unriggable

Postby ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:29 pm

After all, bacteria have been grown in a simulated mars environment, which granted, isn't the same as the real thing, but it is definitely something that should be considered.

Postby ritz627 on Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:31 pm

unriggable wrote:
ritz627 wrote:

They would have to live very far down, but there is no water there so the wouldn't survive. It is very doubtful that they exist there.

There is water, coincidentally, further down. It's ice, but its still water, and there may even be thresholds where b/w the heat from mars' core and the colder temperatures from above create water.

Postby Neutrino on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:48 am

ritz627 wrote:Now this may sound a bit crazy, and it is in a way, but we should start thinking about other planets as an option i.e. mars. Take note that this is for the distant future. Now I admit, this will take a while but it is a serious suggestion being proposed by many people. It still considered somewhat of myth, but hear me out on this one:

Water and other necessary chemicals for sustaining life have been found to be present on mars. Unfortunately, the water is frozen underground. So we would need to warm up mars. We know how to do that, we have been doing it for years on earth. Emit mass amounts of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere through what are essentially greenhouse gas factories, spilling out a much greater amount of greenhouse gases than on earth. With this, it would take about 100 years to warm up mars past the freezing point to melt the ice and create water. The soil, believe it or not is fertile enough for some plant life, so we introduce plants into the environment, and without predators, and mass amounts of carbon dioxide as energy the plants (in theory) will flourish. The plants then release oxygen making the atmosphere habitable to humans - without any oxygen masks, only a pressure suit until the pressure eventually equalizes. Of course this process would take a few hundred years or so, but within the span of humanity, that is a small amount of time to wait. This still seems a bit out of reach seeing that humans haven't even stepped foot on mars yet, but it is still an option being seriously considered by many astronomers, and others. Yea, its crazy, but it just might work. And you don't have to kill any babies. Well maybe a few.

The main problem with this, as Unriggable says, is Mars severely lacks Nitrogen, making it a huge challenge to actually grow any kind of plant life.

Also there is no way the entire prosess can take 100 years. Basically you are planning to rerun the evolution of life on earth; a process which took billions of years. First Mars would have to be seeded with sulphur breathing bacteria (or something else which cn put a lot of CO2 in the air), then anerobic bacteria and finally some form of aerobic bacteria to keep up the oxygen stocks. At absolute minimum, using some variety of super-bacteria or gigantic terraforming machines, the entire process might take a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years.
This isn't including the time it'll take to move your hundreds of thousands of comets that are supplying the necessary Nitrogen into orbit, or the setbacks you'll suffer from dropping them on the planet.
It's not really worth the effort.

Stick with comets and asteriods. Each one can support a few hundred people almost indefinately, depending on how efficient their recycling technology is and there are billions upon billions of them in the Solar System alone.
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes, we own all your generals. Touch us and you loooose...

The Rogue State!
Corporal Neutrino

Postby Bavarian Raven on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:37 pm

on a side note...u said no plantlife can grow on mars because of lack of nitrogen...unless plant life has developed already that does not need nitrogen...everyone is thinking of plants in a "human" "earth" sort of view...
Sergeant 1st Class Bavarian Raven

Postby wrestler1ump on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:33 pm

We need to start encouraging abortion a bit more. Too many codeblue's coming onto this planet.
Private 1st Class wrestler1ump

Postby atheistheretic on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:35 pm

I believe we are 80% above what we should be. If the current geopolitical happenstances continue, we may have a newly created order of the ages soon. If that happens we might not have the problem for long.
Cook atheistheretic

Postby bryguy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:36 pm

ah ha! for now i got the vote to lean towards the No
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:01 pm

shoot 2 someones changed the tide of votes
Corporal bryguy

Postby ritz627 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:35 pm

Neutrino wrote:
ritz627 wrote:Now this may sound a bit crazy, and it is in a way, but we should start thinking about other planets as an option i.e. mars. Take note that this is for the distant future. Now I admit, this will take a while but it is a serious suggestion being proposed by many people. It still considered somewhat of myth, but hear me out on this one:

The main problem with this, as Unriggable says, is Mars severely lacks Nitrogen, making it a huge challenge to actually grow any kind of plant life.

Also there is no way the entire prosess can take 100 years. Basically you are planning to rerun the evolution of life on earth; a process which took billions of years. First Mars would have to be seeded with sulphur breathing bacteria (or something else which cn put a lot of CO2 in the air), then anerobic bacteria and finally some form of aerobic bacteria to keep up the oxygen stocks. At absolute minimum, using some variety of super-bacteria or gigantic terraforming machines, the entire process might take a few tens or hundreds of thousands of years.
This isn't including the time it'll take to move your hundreds of thousands of comets that are supplying the necessary Nitrogen into orbit, or the setbacks you'll suffer from dropping them on the planet.
It's not really worth the effort.

Stick with comets and asteriods. Each one can support a few hundred people almost indefinately, depending on how efficient their recycling technology is and there are billions upon billions of them in the Solar System alone.

Well, I grossly underestimated the time period, but I honestly think it wouldn't take a few hundreds of thousands of years, i believe that is a gross over estimation. It might take that long to make it completely like earth today, but mars has resources to make life habitable now, plain and simple, and a vast acceleration of a martian global warming should take now more than 25-50 thousand years... and in some places, as low as a couple thousand Keep in mind, we have changed earth's temperature about a degree or so in the past 150 years - mostly the past 100 years without even trying. Just imagine if we try to do it. Yes technology is lacking currently, but much later in the future this may be quite possible.

Also, comets and asteroids would never work. Besides having vastly irregular orbits, they generally located too far away from the sun and in dangerous places to send humans too. (Not the Mars isn't dangerous - or even earth for that matter). But couple this with near 0 gravity and absolutely no atmosphere, and comets and asteroids seem to never have the possibility of working. Not to mention - 0 gravity has proven to have detrimental effect on human health. No one would agree to go on such a perilous mission to live on and asteroid or comet. Also - considering comments have chunks of ice and debris trailing off of it at a regular basis, the idea is even more impossible. And, its questionable whether or not asteroids even have water on them.

If you get a chance, check out these:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Viyl2Ly4nI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6GsKbdBgNMo

This documentary is what convinced me. They elaborate more on it in the special, but these clips give the general gist. If you ever get the chance...watch it.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,