Conquer Club

Euro2008

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Euro2008

Postby _sioux_ on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:00 am

Who do you think will win?

Why?
Private _sioux_

Re: Euro2008

Postby Pedronicus on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:09 am

11 men from one country.
Because thats what will happen.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:12 am

Pedronicus wrote:11 men from one country.
Because thats what will happen.

Actually it's 23.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby 3mp3r0r on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:56 am

well, before england got kicked out it was set to be ItalyvsPortugal in the final and GermanyvsEngland fighting for 3rd place

seeing how theyre kicked out im going to guess GermanyvsItaly in final, and it will be a toss up for which one of them win. Portugal will come 3rd, but the question for me is who will be fighting them for 3rd
seeing how i know more Germans than Italians im rooting for them :D
Just a random clown from http://www.seriousless.com the seriousless gaming community
Private 1st Class 3mp3r0r

Postby _sioux_ on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:35 am

I belive both Portugal and Italy will be in the last 4.

Germany will face off Portugal probably in the quarter finals, and germans are unlucky with Portuguese games,, so...

Frenche and Holand are also to teams that can go to the semi finals.
Private _sioux_

Postby tiberiusaquila on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:50 am

Les Bleus.

A very strong cast of individuals who will prove to play smarter and more unrelenting as a team than the others.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

high score 2143 10.26.11
Corporal tiberiusaquila

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

_sioux_ wrote:I belive both Portugal and Italy will be in the last 4.

Germany will face off Portugal probably in the quarter finals, and germans are unlucky with Portuguese games,, so...

Frenche and Holand are also to teams that can go to the semi finals.

no they arent because them 3 are in the same group :roll:

germany v portugal and italy v spain
germany v spain
spain(hopefully), germany (likely)
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:06 pm

i know nothing about soccer.. but i'm gonna throw a bone to romania and wish them all the luck in the world
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby _sioux_ on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:23 pm

Germany played very good todya.

QF
Germany versus Chez
Portugal versus Croacia
Private _sioux_

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:34 pm

_sioux_ wrote:Germany played very good todya.

QF
Germany versus Chez
Portugal versus Croacia

germany, croatia and portugal are all on same side, also who are chez?

group a and b are one side and group c and d are the other side.

Postby johnnyrotten on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:07 pm

Didn't think Germany were that good today, but as the tournament goes on they'll improve, as they did in the World Cup two years ago. Germany to win it, italy runners up, France 3rd, Portugal 4th.
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby Ryuuzaki on Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:13 pm

First of all you can say all you want about Italy, but if you know something about football you should know that Italy is a more tactical than simple talent. They usually win their games for a small margin because they are famous for their defensive style, they score, and then they close the game in their defense. If they simulate fouls or use cheap shots, well i got a news flash for you, football today isn't the same it was a few years ago, today every team uses that kind of game. Italy is a tactical team since ever, and the Italian football is also more tactical in comparison to British football that has more speed and showering forward. You have different styles. For example in the English leagues most of the plays are done in depth with long passes and a faster and more lively football, in Italian football they "chew" the game, short passes, tight defense, more like a chess game. Spanish or Portuguese leagues you have what you can call a more dribbled football, with more fantasy, more for show off than aggressiveness.

But that's one of those things that is clear as water for those people that enjoy to watch football. Personally i can tell you that most of my free time is dedicated to football, either playing it, watching it or studying it. Runs in the family.

So you might not like them, and you might be right about what you say, but their football style is clearly more slow and tactical, and they also are World Champions. I personally don't think they have a pretty football style like the fast and manly football played in the British leagues, or a artistic and fantasy football like Portugal or Spain, but with their tactics they always manage to go far.

About Czech Republic, they didn't deserve the win against Switzerland, actually it was kind of a boring match, to much fuss in the midfield, but Czech Republic is weaker without Pavel Nedved, Smicer, Patrick Berger, Poborsky, actually the only thing they have solid is their defense.
Just think about it, Ujfalusi (Fiorentina) Grygera (Juventus) Rozenhal (Lazio) Jankulovski (Ac Milan) and of course Petr Cech (Chelsea), now try to compare it to other players, they play in smaller clubs like Nuremberg, Osasuna, Anderlecht, etc. You can honestly see that their midfield forward isn't that good.

About Portugal you needed to see the game, Portugal won 2-0 to Turkey, but they could have won 5-0 Portugal had many chances in their 24 shoots on goal against 3 from Turkey, three shoots on the post, several danger shoots, and they had 70% control of the game. The bigger problem about Portugal is that they play well and pretty, manage to create the chances, but when it counts, they don't take it. They manage to have more than 5 or 6 clear chances of goal and only make one or two. Finishing is the bigger problem, and it's also what it's needed in football, you only win if you score more than the other team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Spain, they have immense talent, and a great team, you talked about Xavi and Fabregas, but they have huge names all around the pitch, Sergio Ramos one of the best right defenders you can see today, Puyol is great int he center of the defense, you have talents like Fernando Torres or David Villa, a magnificent goalkepper, one of the best in the world Iker Cassilas, you have fantasy players like David Silva, not mentioning pure midfield talent of Xabi Alonso or Iniesta. But they have one problem, they play with their heart, not with their mind. they often get caught in counter attacks, they play more by sections than with a fluid gameplan, they need to be more free, and in my personal opinion they deserved a proper gaffer. They amaze us in the beginning but the flame doesn't stay there. Maybe this year you'll get to see more of them.
I'm still thinking why players like Vicente, Joaquin or Reyes, not to mention the amazing Raul, don't get selected to play in this Euro.

The Dutch have more names than talent. Nowadays they lack that flawless tactical style that you add a fluid game style that gave them the name in the past of Mechanical Orange, because of their mechanized and fast game with quick passes and the great use of 1-2 passes. The old and good days of Van Basten and Cruyff. But they are in the called group pf of death, a group with Italy, France, Netherlands and Romania...well it's a pretty tough one.

For me the surprises in this Euro 2008 may come from 3 teams, Croatia with a well renewed and young team with younger players like Rakitic, Modric, Corluka, and Kranjcar, allied to more experienced players like Klasnic, Petric, Olic.

Romania for their also renewed team, with a pretty fast and incisive football style. And the third one is Russia. It's a more remote possibility but, they have the coach for it, they have the knowledge, and they also have players. Pay close attention to these three teams.

My bets are still in the Southern Europe. Portugal, Italy and Spain but more reticent towards Spain. France can also get there if they want to, they just need to open up their football to the wings with Ribery and Malouda.
New Recruit Ryuuzaki

Postby mandalorian2298 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:08 pm

Germany kicked but today. They work great as a team and they run like crazy. They'll make it at least to the semis.

Czechs really played well considering their best two midfielders (Rosicky and Nedved) aren't playing.

Croatia played poorly, but we are usualy better against strong opponents. Still, even taking in consideration bad refereeing, it's really hard to explain how we menaged to compleatly lose the midfield battle against Austrians. :roll:

P.S. Why do people think that Italy is one of the favorites!? They have sucked bad ever since Donadoni took the bench (despite the undeniable quality of their players).
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 am

mandalorian2298 wrote:Germany kicked but today. They work great as a team and they run like crazy. They'll make it at least to the semis.

Czechs really played well considering their best two midfielders (Rosicky and Nedved) aren't playing.

Croatia played poorly, but we are usualy better against strong opponents. Still, even taking in consideration bad refereeing, it's really hard to explain how we menaged to compleatly lose the midfield battle against Austrians. :roll:

P.S. Why do people think that Italy is one of the favorites!? They have sucked bad ever since Donadoni took the bench (despite the undeniable quality of their players).

Because Italy are the world champions? And they haven't sucked to get to Euro 2008. They actually won the group ahead of France. No other team is more complete in all departments than Italy. Pity Cannavaro was injured last week.

As for the Czechs they played very badly and were very fortunate to get away with the win, just like the Croatians. However I think Croatia are a much better side than the Czechs this year apart from the goalkeeper of course.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:09 am

the italian football bores me, i went on holiday to sardinia and saw a match cagliari played and it bored me, there was no atmosphere.

having lived in spain though, i know spanish football and its exciting lively stuff like the premiership, the difference being the prem is more about strength, however it is becoming more like la liga in that technical skills are becoming needed more and more.

sams tournament predictor

group A

chzech republic 7
portugal 7
switzerland 1
turkey 1

group B

Germany 9
Poland 6
Croatia 6
Austria 0

group C

Holland 9
Romania 4
France 3
Italy 1

Group D

Spain 9
sweden 6
Russia 1
Greece 1

2 germany v Portugal 1 1 Czech rep. v Poland 0 2 Holland v Sweden 1 1 Spain v Romania 0
2 Germany v czech rep. 0 1 Holland v Spain 2
1 Germany v Spain 1
ET finish 1-1 spain on pens

iv gone for romania to upset group c. where teams are level its cos i worked out the scores and added them up.

Postby lozzini on Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:the italian football bores me, i went on holiday to sardinia and saw a match cagliari played and it bored me, there was no atmosphere.

having lived in spain though, i know spanish football and its exciting lively stuff like the premiership, the difference being the prem is more about strength, however it is becoming more like la liga in that technical skills are becoming needed more and more.

sams tournament predictor

group A

chzech republic 7
portugal 7
switzerland 1
turkey 1

group B

Germany 9
Poland 6
Croatia 6
Austria 0

group C

Holland 9
Romania 4
France 3
Italy 1

Group D

Spain 9
sweden 6
Russia 1
Greece 1

2 germany v Portugal 1 1 Czech rep. v Poland 0 2 Holland v Sweden 1 1 Spain v Romania 0
2 Germany v czech rep. 0 1 Holland v Spain 2
1 Germany v Spain 1
ET finish 1-1 spain on pens

iv gone for romania to upset group c. where teams are level its cos i worked out the scores and added them up.

i highyl doubt romania will go through ahead of france and italy, and will take that as a joke

my tip for the final is also germany vs spain, with a spain win
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:05 am

it was part joke part optimism part hatred.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:the italian football bores me, i went on holiday to sardinia and saw a match cagliari played and it bored me, there was no atmosphere.

group C

Holland 9
Romania 4
France 3
Italy 1

Image Italy with only 1 point? I honestly don't think you know much about football Sam...no offence intended.

Besides you cannot judge Italian football on only 1 game you saw. Cagliari are one of the weakest teams in Serie A.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:

group C

Holland 9
Romania 4
France 3
Italy 1

Image Italy with only 1 point? I honestly don't think you know much about football Sam...no offence intended.

Besides you cannot judge Italian football on only 1 game you saw. Cagliari are one of the weakest teams in Serie A.

FOR GOD SAKE ITS A JOKE!!!

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:
FOR GOD SAKE ITS A JOKE!!!

So was mine. :)

I just couldn't believe that you thought that. :p
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:40 am

i think that italy will finish 2nd with 4 points, and tbh france i dont know atm. ill see how they play 2nite.

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 am

sam_levi_11 wrote:i think that italy will finish 2nd with 4 points, and tbh france i dont know atm. ill see how they play 2nite.

It's such a difficult group anything could happen.

I believe Italy, France and Holland have a squad which could actually win the Euro. Romania is a very strong team as well, one which should not underestimated. We'll see what happens tonight as you said...a false start could be catastrophic in this group!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 am

i think n e one who loses still stands a chance because all the teams are so good. dont forget romania beat holland in qualifying and finished above them.

Postby _sioux_ on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:55 am

Sam_Levi i said QF (quarter finals) so i know all those teams are in groups A and B.

Ryuuzaki - great coments.. totaly agree on everything.

Germany suprise me.. I want to see Holand versus Italy later...

France is sucking big time, Romenia is playing in a smarter way, because the are the downdog.
Private _sioux_

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 pm

i hope romania win just because france have been so bad

Next

Return to Out, out, brief candle!