Conquer Club

Hannah Montana and the sexualization of children

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Hannah Montana and the sexualization of children

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
muy_thaiguy wrote:
Juan_Bottom wrote:What is with programs about teenager's target audience being little kids? I don't understand why Hannah Montana(to single out one) is a show for 8 year old girls. Is that not a completely silly role model?

And why the hell is Wal*Mart selling "training bras" to seven year olds? Even make-up kits?
Bratz Dolls are taking space away from Barbie, and yet they ain't helping. They are pretty literly tramp dolls.

Are we teaching children to dress sexy to feel self-worth?

What is the cure? Are we trying to get kids to get themselves pregnant or something?

A little late on the uptake, by about 3-4 generations. Look at Madonna, Britney Spears, and all the others. Besides, its not the programs I have a problem with, it is the parents that actually buy the stuff that worries me.

I agree, but have you seen what's available in the stores lately?

I am thankful to have boys, but I occasionally shop for my nieces, etc. In our area you have a very hard time finding anything NOT "Hanna Montana".

Plus, at some point, when everyone else really IS wearing it... making too much of an issue just makes them want it more. (or act out in ways that are worse).

Parents are caught between a rock and a hard place. I don't know what the answer is.
Sewing and knitting classes.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:02 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Sewing and knitting classes.

:D
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Hologram on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:
Hologram wrote:Of course it doesn't, because everyone thinks that their own morals are right.

Now, there are common themes, such as thou shalt not kill (at least not your friends' friends), but as far as sexuality goes, many cultures view sexuality in many different ways.

I'm not talking about socially acceptable morals. I'm talking about something else, I'm talking about what makes people happy, and that is important. I believe that this will end up with an overall loss of happiness in the long run. I don't care if something is unappealing to me or to society, if it makes people happy and hurts no-one. In that case, it is a good thing. But if society condones it, even if I condone it, and it's hurting people more than it's making people happy, then it is not a good thing. That is my standard.

This is still "relative," you can say, but it's definite: If what makes people happy changes, then what's right changes. But what's right doesn't depend on personal opinion. This is my humanist definition of morals.
Oh of course. But, regrettably, happiness is not achieved by all people all of the time. And culture or not, many people will make the decisions that make them happy, because they're wise, or will make the decisions that lead to instant but short-lived gratification because they're unwise.

Wisdom and morality do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.
The inflation rate in Zimbabwe just hit 4 million percent. Some people say it is only 165,000, but they are just being stupid. -Scott Adams, artist and writer of Dilbert
Cook Hologram

Postby heavycola on Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:55 am

:( i thought this was going to be another story thread, like Hary Potter and the Goblet of Fire or something. Very, very disappointing.
Corporal 1st Class heavycola

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:43 am

Damn.
I was hoping for some Hannah Montana flaming.

Don't you just want to chuck her off a cliff?
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:45 am

Would it be totally inappropriate for me to make some kind of "I'd like to sexualise Hannah Montana. WITH MY PENIS!!!1" gag here? Or would that be breaking some kind of taste threshold?
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:46 am

Dancing Mustard wrote:Would it be totally inappropriate for me to make some kind of "I'd like to sexualise Hannah Montana. WITH MY PENIS!!!1" gag here? Or would that be breaking some kind of taste threshold?

Wrong use of "or" there, but I think that sort of thing is expected here.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby Hologram on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:03 am

Dancing Mustard wrote:Would it be totally inappropriate for me to make some kind of "I'd like to sexualise Hannah Montana. WITH MY PENIS!!!1" gag here? Or would that be breaking some kind of taste threshold?

I wouldn't mind. In fact I'd probably add something like "Too late. I ALREADY DID!!!!!" or something like that.
The inflation rate in Zimbabwe just hit 4 million percent. Some people say it is only 165,000, but they are just being stupid. -Scott Adams, artist and writer of Dilbert
Cook Hologram

Postby Hologram on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:06 am

Minister Masket wrote:Damn.
I was hoping for some Hannah Montana flaming.

Don't you just want to chuck her off a cliff?

Yes, yes I do. But that's just because she's an idiot. It has nothing to do with her be too "sexy".

Is sexy the right word? I don't find her sexy. I find her actually quite repulsive. Nasty would be more like it. Stupid kids, they don't know what's good.
Cook Hologram

Postby Snorri1234 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:21 am

Just have to wait a month or so.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:56 pm

Is it just me, or is this a case where the government backed off, and things have gone way down hill? In the mid 80s the government laxed on it's children's programing regulation.

Now ordinaraly I'm against the government regulating things, but since they've stopped things have not improved.

#1 They need to stop advertising geared towards children. Save maybe age appropriate advertising.

#2 They need to control who's being targeted by these programs. IMO it all started with Saved by the Bell.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Matroshka on Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:55 pm

It's depressing to me to see things like this, but they don't start selling these without demand.

Children don't have jobs. It's the parents' responsibility to clothe their children. If a parent wants to dress their daughter like a whore, that's their prerogative. The government should force a standard morality on people.
Sergeant 1st Class Matroshka

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:32 pm

A standard of morality? No... it's about keeping kids safe, not moral. But I think that's what you ment, without finding the words?

Postby JaseSpades on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Matroshka wrote:It's depressing to me to see things like this, but they don't start selling these without demand.

Children don't have jobs. It's the parents' responsibility to clothe their children. If a parent wants to dress their daughter like a whore, that's their prerogative. The government should force a standard morality on people.

True....to an extent. But then we have to think, where did the demand come from?
of this I'm not sure, but it seems to me that the demand came from the "media" but the "media" came from the demand, making it full circle....things are going downhill figurativly and litterally!

it is very depressing, and i have devoted a lot of my life breaking from the norm, trying to "teach" people "its ok to be something even if its not morally, or by group standards "correct""

in short, its aways been here, it always will be here, but the answer is not to ignore, say "oh well" or think it'll run itself out, even if its pointless, we must fght the powers that corrupt our lives and stop them from being more than what they could be, dont only think about yourself, think about others!!! ((((so ends my long-ass spiel)))))

YOU DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW THE WORN PATH, FOR IT IS BETTER TO MAKE YOUR OWN!!!

"To the sound of a heartbeat pounding away!!!..."

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a pinata: hiding amongst the candy, hoping the kids don't break through with a stick!!!"

myspace.com/jasespades
Private 1st Class JaseSpades

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Is it just me, or is this a case where the government backed off, and things have gone way down hill? In the mid 80s the government laxed on it's children's programing regulation.

Now ordinaraly I'm against the government regulating things, but since they've stopped things have not improved.

#1 They need to stop advertising geared towards children. Save maybe age appropriate advertising.

#2 They need to control who's being targeted by these programs. IMO it all started with Saved by the Bell.

I actually agree, to a point.

I was not allowed to watch anything but "G" rated movies until I was about 10. My folks were a bit strict, but by no means outlandishly so back then. And, though tame, they were not pure boredom, either. A lot of humor.

Now, you can hardly even FIND "G" rated moves. Even Disney films are almost always rated PG, if not PG-13. The few true "G" movies are boring and dull.

Partly, the rating system is a bit cock-eyed. I mean why is a kiss or a bit of nudity (depending on context) rated so very much higher than violance, even non-contextual violance, which actually does cause issues with kids (the 5 year old who jumps off a roof with an umbrella, or sets a fire cracker off in his brother's bed .. with him still in it, because he saw it on TV ).

Part is also that many producers like to "push the envelope" for creative reasons (as much as anything else).

A big part is definitely that most movies are now geared to the 10-12 year old male. (literally... that is their target audience, for the most part). They are supposedly the ones who buy the most tickets. But, that tends to become a "self-fulfilling prophesy". If they actually made more movies geared toward other groups, others might go more often.

As for the advertising bit ... yes, I think trying to sell fruitloops to 4 year olds when we know that it will endanger their health is, well, a bit unsavory... even if it is "just business". And, say what you want about parental control and critical thinking. A four year old just does not have the thinking capacity to truly say "they are just trying to sell me something, I should not pay attention". And as for the parental control bit .. yes, but it would be nice if the children's shows did not make our job even harder. There are only so many battles you can fight at one time, especially with kids.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby austrianeagle on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 pm

So, movies must include crotch hitting, dierreah, sex refrences and vomit? :D
Somewhere, anywhere but here
Cadet austrianeagle

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:06 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Is it just me, or is this a case where the government backed off, and things have gone way down hill? In the mid 80s the government laxed on it's children's programing regulation.

DON'T YOU DARE BAD MOUTH KELLY KAPOWSKI!!!!

Sorry about the all caps, but I feel that strongly about Tiffany Amber-Thiessen.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby Snorri1234 on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:23 am

Matroshka wrote:It's depressing to me to see things like this, but they don't start selling these without demand.

Nah. First they create the demand, then they start selling.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 am

Snorri1234 wrote:

Nah. First they create the demand, then they start selling.

I was going to say that, but I was too lazy to post.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby pimpdave on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:00 am

jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:28 pm

jbrettlip wrote:DON'T YOU DARE BAD MOUTH KELLY KAPOWSKI!!!!

Sorry about the all caps, but I feel that strongly about Tiffany Amber-Thiessen.

I'm sorry sir. It won't happen again sir. Please don't hit me sir.

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,