Conquer Club

Euro 2008 conquer club!

Tournaments that are no longer happening

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

good idea, bad idea?

good idea
80%
bad idea
17%
dunno
3%

Total votes : 30

Euro 2008 conquer club!

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:32 pm

now i dont know much about tourney's, but i know that the world cup conquer club has taken right off, and i was just wonderin if someone would be up for starting a Euro 2008 conquer club tourney, i can't as im hopless at organizing and i have no experience at all. This post might seem a bit premature but, i was thinking there could be play offs to get into the tourney in the first place nd since there wasnt time in the conquer club world cup for it, and of course for this to go ahead we would need someone to organize it, of course i will help the organizer anyway i can, so if anyone wants to organize or help organize then plz leave a comment, after we have all that sorted we can then sort out teams, i know this is a rip off of cc world cup but it will still be fun! :D
Last edited by matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class matt-the-twat

Postby HighBorn on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:38 pm

ok sounds fun.... ill help anyway i can
Private 1st Class HighBorn

:D

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:42 pm

kl thanx

Postby Haydena on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Erm, just a thing, it's Euro 2008, then world cup 2010... But if I'm still around, I'll help out for sure :)
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

oops

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:46 pm

oopsy thats what i meant soz lol i'll change it on my main post............ thanx for ur support

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:10 pm

I suppose i could organize the games, and stuff and dates and all that kind of thing but as im not a premium member i would need help from a premium member, who would be up for puttin private games up and issuing passwords? as soon as we have a person up for that then we can get crackin with gettin teams together, what do u guyz think? 60 teams for the play offs and then for the actual tournament get it down to 30? and do u guyz think it should be open to all countries or just europe?

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Hm, I like the idea of games to get into the final play off stage. But I'm thinking many will lose interest if somethings aren't played until 2008 or 2010. Maybe this could be like and end of the year Tournament, or something, :)

And it would actually be nice to see a large scale tournament for standard 'singles' play.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Haydena on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:22 pm

I'd be up for helping with anything, give me details and I'll help set up websites, teams, games (if I manage to get permium by the end of the year) and anything really, got plenty o' time on me hands...

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:26 pm

Plenty of time? Weren't you going to post a nice edit of the latest version of Japan map? :P

--Andy

hhhhhhmmmmmmmm

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:37 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dunno, peeps probs would loose interest maybe it would be better to do the tournament ahead of schedule, mind you if u wanna do a tournament on this kind of scale then theres bound to be people who wont join games and stuff and especially with so many teams i think the playoffs could end up taking a long time............. so maybe we organize things this year like get all the teams togther and the rules, etc. and then next year we start the playoffs and get them sorted and sort out whos in what table, and then we start the actual tourney, that order makes sense but as you say peeps would lose interest so i say we get the teams sorted last thing this year and then do playoffs next year so the players are still interested, and pm the players tellin them whether they've made it through to the torney it's self a little bit before we do the tourney, so they're reminded, bloody hell im blabbering on.... anyway we still need to work out whether its singles or teams, teams would be easier, tell me your thoughts, and ur help is much appreciated :D

thanx again Matt-the-twat

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:38 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Plenty of time? Weren't you going to post a nice edit of the latest version of Japan map? :P

--Andy
whats all this about a japan map? :shock:

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:44 pm

Talk to Haydena about it in the Foundry. Yell at him some more to get an updated version of it.

--Andy

:D

Postby matt-the-twat on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:06 pm

lol why would i want an updated japanese map anyway? i think you've got the wrong man lol

Postby Phobia on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:09 pm

should be good, book me a place in it :)
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby Pedronicus on Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:15 pm

take my advice - don't get involved in a land war in asia, or organise a conquer club competition
Major Pedronicus

Postby Haydena on Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:08 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Plenty of time? Weren't you going to post a nice edit of the latest version of Japan map? :P

--Andy

The large version's taken quite a bit of time unfortunately... :?

I know, I know, I've been a bit lax... :)

Postby resitnecdan on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:14 am

Ok, first of all I want to say this is a great ideea. Now let me tell you my opinion on this matter.
I think the organizing part could take at most 2 months, don't see what you could do more there. And after that we count the teams registered and I would say 16 could go to the final round (to find those 16 we will play playoffs)
About the teams: I think that the best would be for them to be Country teams, only from Europe (ex. Romania, Great Britain) and I am of the opinion that in the actual tournament there should be a maximum number of teams from the same country (I would suggest 3). And the games should be triples in my opinion.
Oh, and just for the fun of it the matches should be played on Europe Map. :lol:
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby qeee1 on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:58 am

Pedronicus wrote:take my advice - don't get involved in a land war in asia, or organise a conquer club competition

A competition on the scale of the World Cup was something not tried before on CC, and was hell to organise.

I agree a large scale singles tourney would be nice for a change, but I think a team tournament is more suited to the Euro 2008 format.

Either way, it's far too early to start organising. We had plenty of people drop over the course of 2 months. If you waited 2 years? I'd say you'd be lucky to maintain half of your original sign ups.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby resitnecdan on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:35 am

qeee1 wrote:
Pedronicus wrote:take my advice - don't get involved in a land war in asia, or organise a conquer club competition

A competition on the scale of the World Cup was something not tried before on CC, and was hell to organise.

I agree a large scale singles tourney would be nice for a change, but I think a team tournament is more suited to the Euro 2008 format.

Either way, it's far too early to start organising. We had plenty of people drop over the course of 2 months. If you waited 2 years? I'd say you'd be lucky to maintain half of your original sign ups.

That's exactlly my opinion but I came up with a diferent sugestion: why wait till 2008 to organize it since we can do it now? At most 2 months for registration and all, and by the end of August we can start the playoffs (depending on the number of registrations). When they are ready we go to the final phase of the tournament. So what do you say guyss?

Btw I offer to help with the organizing part.
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:01 am

resitnecdan wrote:
qeee1 wrote:

That's exactlly my opinion but I came up with a diferent sugestion: why wait till 2008 to organize it since we can do it now? At most 2 months for registration and all, and by the end of August we can start the playoffs (depending on the number of registrations). When they are ready we go to the final phase of the tournament. So what do you say guyss?

hold fire on this idea. A tournament organising tool is underway (I think I'll have some input) - once this is made, then consider this idea.

One thing that never ceased to amaze me organising this competition was the attitude of some American players. They pm'd me directly saying things like: "Hi, I'm from the USA - I'll play for any team"

we stuck them in a pool of players and messaged them several times to contact other players to create a team (They had 2-4 weeks to do this)

Then there was a load of players teaming up at the last knockings, with people they had little or no knowledge of.

Then halfway through the group stage, when their hastily organised teams had no contact with each other, they lost a game or two and started pm'ing me back saying I'm leaving this competition as our group has no chance of winning.

If you have spent untold time organising such a mammoth undertaking with no prior experience, only to have a couple of people drop out just because they fear losing another 20-30 points is incredible. I had to get away from my PC before i stuck my head through the monitor screen in frustration.

Before you commence any work on this idea - I strongly recommend the following:

1. Valium (lots of it)
2. Taking 6 weeks off work to organise
3. Take a further 12 weeks off work to re organise after everyone drops out / deletes games
4. Re fresh your stash of Valium (and add morphine and Jack Daniels to your shopping list)
5. wait for the tournament organiser software
Major Pedronicus

Postby Augusta on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:12 am

Pedronicus wrote:
resitnecdan wrote:
qeee1 wrote:

hold fire on this idea. A tournament organising tool is underway (I think I'll have some input) - once this is made, then consider this idea.

One thing that never ceased to amaze me organising this competition was the attitude of some American players. They pm'd me directly saying things like: "Hi, I'm from the USA - I'll play for any team"

we stuck them in a pool of players and messaged them several times to contact other players to create a team (They had 2-4 weeks to do this)

Then there was a load of players teaming up at the last knockings, with people they had little or no knowledge of.

Then halfway through the group stage, when their hastily organised teams had no contact with each other, they lost a game or two and started pm'ing me back saying I'm leaving this competition as our group has no chance of winning.

If you have spent untold time organising such a mammoth undertaking with no prior experience, only to have a couple of people drop out just because they fear losing another 20-30 points is incredible. I had to get away from my PC before i stuck my head through the monitor screen in frustration.

Before you commence any work on this idea - I strongly recommend the following:

1. Valium (lots of it)
2. Taking 6 weeks off work to organise
3. Take a further 12 weeks off work to re organise after everyone drops out / deletes games
4. Re fresh your stash of Valium (and add morphine and Jack Daniels to your shopping list)
5. wait for the tournament organiser software

lol - guess you really learned something from that organising marathon you went through Pedro. But thanks a lot for sticking it out - the tournament is fab! Simply fab! Love the web-sites and everything.
Good that CC has someone so dedicated I think - makes this the very best gaming site around.

A+ Pedro for that job (and to the rest of the organising team as well). From me at least. Hope you would consider doing another when you get your strengths back :)
In Somnis Veritas -
In Dreams There Is Truth

Member of The Imperial Dragoons
Sergeant Augusta

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Postby matt-the-twat on Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:28 pm

the job does seem pretty big and stuff and the timings all worng, i just wanted someone to notice it so we could poke holes in the idea then refill em for a while, and then get started, and i never really wanted to organize it in the start, i knew how much work would go into it i just though there wouldn't be so much rush if we set to work on it now, also i think if it should be done, wait for pedronicus and the team to finish the tourney thing, so i think we're all agreed tht we leave this idea for at least another year? :shock:

Postby resitnecdan on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:41 am

Sincerelly I don't see why we should leave ot for another year, I mean a year is a long time in CC. :?
Lieutenant resitnecdan

well....

Postby matt-the-twat on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:21 pm

well yup i suppose but if the new tourney kit is comin then we may as well wait for that, and pedronicus has put a lot of doubts in my mind so i'll help and do whtever the majority tell me to but i think we should leave it for a year, and it is a long time as u say, so anyone who starts now might leave cc in that time, and it would be kinda crap if we did it two years before or somethin so...................we could just do another semi big tourny so we can get used to how to do it? what do u guyz think?

Postby resitnecdan on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:23 pm

Well I think we can do a first edition of European Cup. See what it takes. We can always have the second or third edition in 2008 :lol:
Proud member of The Imperial Dragoons

Highest place 30
Highest score: 2136
Most points in a game: 121
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Next

Return to Abandoned