Conquer Club

Prohibition Chicago [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby fumandomuerte on Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:22 am

Can you change that comic sans font?
It gives the map a childish touch...
The rest is fine!, maybe more detailed dots connecting the block I guess.

Good Luck budy.
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby cairnswk on Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Version 17

Changes.....

1. Font changed to Trebuchet MS
2. Diamond Joes, Speakeasys, Gamblers Heaven icons changed
3. backglow placed on dots to Canadian Specials
4. Dots fixed up on Breweries to James Divinci's
5. Pixelation on river to be fixed when maps are split.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I'm waiting on gameplay approval before i split this map to small and large versions.
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:07 pm

Damn, I must be in a good mood tonight!
Captain oaktown

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:11 am

oaktown wrote:Image

Damn, I must be in a good mood tonight!

Yes...indeed..must be all that "snow" you had eh?!!
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:40 am

Cains I notice that you dont put the idea stamp in your first post. Is this because he havent given you it yet? If so jsut assume you have it and stamp all your maps. The last thing I have time to do is stamp up te cairns empire with idea stamps :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:22 pm

gimil wrote:Cains I notice that you dont put the idea stamp in your first post. Is this because he havent given you it yet? If so jsut assume you have it and stamp all your maps. The last thing I have time to do is stamp up te cairns empire with idea stamps :)

I would have thought that would be part of your job Gimil, as one of those "dedicated CAs" that Andy was on about in Gazala. LOL :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:34 pm

cairnswk wrote:
gimil wrote:Cains I notice that you dont put the idea stamp in your first post. Is this because he havent given you it yet? If so jsut assume you have it and stamp all your maps. The last thing I have time to do is stamp up te cairns empire with idea stamps :)

I would have thought that would be part of your job Gimil, as one of those "dedicated CAs" that Andy was on about in Gazala. LOL :wink:

your to nice cairns, I was in a hurry earier and never got the stamp out, here:

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

Final Forge

---The Prohibition Chicago Map has reached the ‘Final Forge’ Stage. I've revived this thread from the pits of the Foundry Furnace (okay, maybe not) and have examined the contents. Nearly every major concern has been addressed. If there are any other current concerns, please make your voice heard. If after a reasonable amount of time there has not been any objection or protest, the map will be deemed finished with the 'Foundry Brand' of approval and will be submitted for live play. As long as there is still discussion or posts that have yet to be commented on, the map will remain in Final Forge until said discussion has reached the conclusion that the map has reached its final and polished version.

Post questions and concerns if any.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:02 pm

There still seems to be some pixeliness around the river, mostly from the Genna Warehouse down, and to the ocean.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:58 am

AndyDufresne wrote:There still seems to be some pixeliness around the river, mostly from the Genna Warehouse down, and to the ocean.

--Andy

Appreciate your Final Forge visit Andy, but there are still things that have to be attended to on the map in the large version because the expansion from small to large does not work in some elements and i suspect this pixelation is one of those. I will examine.
Private cairnswk

Postby Skittles! on Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:51 am

this is going to be an awesome and quality map, cairns. can't wait till this comes out
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby gimil on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:44 am

Before you do the final split of the map cairns id like you to hold off till i get time to give the small another overview :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Night Strike on Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:53 am

I do hope this map turns out well, but shouldn't this still be in the Foundry since it doesn't have a large version?? (Same for Gazala I think.) I know that cairns is a respected Cartographer and has been working on the large image in private, but the policy states

And in the (main) Foundry forum the process will stay relatively normal. All maps will need to create good working images of both the large and the small maps (following the guidelines of course). Each map will go through the Foundry Process as they have been (I.E. comments/suggestions/advice/criticisms/etc). Once the Foundry Process is starting to slow and dwindle, if all guidelines have been met, it will be ‘Final Forged’ and moved into the next, and last, stage of development in the Final Forge forum.

I'm not purposefully trying to stir up a controversy and discussion in this thread (take it to the Foundry Discussion if you want to do that), but this is just what I see in this case.
Major Night Strike

Postby FreeMan10 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:32 am

I thought there have been large maps, just not the nearly-finalized one.

moving along now...
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby gimil on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:41 pm

Cairns has presented a large and competant map already :)

But splitting his images he means that he will resize his small and have two files (small and large) After this point its difficult to make major changes to both files.

Basically after the split it should only be small changes or nitpiking thats done on the map.

Or at least I believe this is how cairns does it :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:13 pm

gimil wrote:Before you do the final split of the map cairns id like you to hold off till i get time to give the small another overview :)

I thought you had already done that. :shock:
Latest V17 Gimil.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:14 pm

Skittles! wrote:this is going to be an awesome and quality map, cairns. can't wait till this comes out
Kewl! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:25 pm

Night Strike wrote:I do hope this map turns out well, but shouldn't this still be in the Foundry since it doesn't have a large version?? (Same for Gazala I think.) I know that cairns is a respected Cartographer and has been working on the large image in private, but the policy states

And in the (main) Foundry forum the process will stay relatively normal. All maps will need to create good working images of both the large and the small maps (following the guidelines of course). Each map will go through the Foundry Process as they have been (I.E. comments/suggestions/advice/criticisms/etc). Once the Foundry Process is starting to slow and dwindle, if all guidelines have been met, it will be ‘Final Forged’ and moved into the next, and last, stage of development in the Final Forge forum.

I'm not purposefully trying to stir up a controversy and discussion in this thread (take it to the Foundry Discussion if you want to do that), but this is just what I see in this case.

Night Strike...here is my process

1. I always work from a small map first.
2. All changes are made to the small map.
3. Initially the large map is simply an increase in size from 600w to 800x, with all aspects of the map increasing in size.
4. After all changes are made, the map is made into small and large version.
5. If changes are requested after this time, it means two lots of changes and i hate that, that is why i like to have all the changes done first on the small map.
6. When the two version are in place, small tweaks are made to army shadow sizes and alos any attributes that need resizing as well and army placement with the xml.
7. Map is complete.
8. I like to have all changes done before the map get split into two versions, that is why i get so pissed at people who come into foundry after a map has been in foundry for three months and they don't bother to make comments in that time, but then come in at the last minute and want changes made that could have been done on the small version first.

As far as i could see, and probably others for that matter...comments and suggestions had already dwindled on this map and Gazala in the last few weeks. Sorry, but can't help it if people wanting to make comments are slow.

I don't think you are stirring controversy, just wanting to understand what is going on here. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:I thought there have been large maps, just not the nearly-finalized one.
moving along now...

Yes FreeMan10....the large versions up until now have simply been upsized versions of the small map. That is why i expect all changes to the map be made to the small version before i go upsizing to the final two versions, which is what i call map-splitting.
Private cairnswk

Postby FreeMan10 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:21 pm

carins- Thanks for the explanation. This makes perfect sense to me, and would be how I'd go about it if I were to make a map. That will happen when I manage to get more than 3 hours sleep a night & develop some artistic ability. :?

Keep up the great work. I think this will be a very interesting map to play, and I'm looking forward to it.
Cadet FreeMan10

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:25 pm

FreeMan10 wrote:carins- Thanks for the explanation. This makes perfect sense to me, and would be how I'd go about it if I were to make a map. That will happen when I manage to get more than 3 hours sleep a night & develop some artistic ability. :?

Keep up the great work. I think this will be a very interesting map to play, and I'm looking forward to it.

Pleasure! :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Night Strike on Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:57 pm

I had gathered that was your process, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the major clarification. I was just making sure that there was no favoritism going on. Keep up the work (even though I don't like playing on the crazy-complex maps, I know others do).
Major Night Strike

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Night Strike wrote:I had gathered that was your process, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the major clarification. I was just making sure that there was no favoritism going on. Keep up the work (even though I don't like playing on the crazy-complex maps, I know others do).

no worries...Rail Oz will definitely suite you better, and probably galapagos also.
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Ok I found some very minor concerns, but I couldnt pull anything major out of your image cairns :)

1. Sam Cardinelli south west corner has 2 yellow dots that are sitting funny :) Im sure you'll notice what im talking about.

2. Genna Warehouse and Little sicily's east black boarder are very pixelly compared to other no straight boarders. There another few like that, James Vinci's and tax dept. river boarder along with belles south border.

I had a point 3. but I cant remeber it so it cant be that important :)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas