Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby jakejake on Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 pm

yeh i'd like that :D
Private 1st Class jakejake

Postby bellaraphon on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:49 pm

sounds good.
unriggable wrote:
Neoteny wrote:How big is the perfect penis?

Let's just say that the tower of Babel is a mistranslation.
Private bellaraphon

Postby sfhbballnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 pm

sounds simple enough, works for me, really help with speed games and such
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Skittles! on Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:52 pm

There's a script for this for Firefox, but it only updates every 5 minutes. This would be good for those who play on IE and aren't bothered waiting 5 minutes :]

I support
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby tenio on Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:26 am

i would like, only if it is easily implemented
Cadet tenio

Postby lozzini on Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:35 am

it would be usefull but i usually just keep a tab of the my games page up which solves that problem
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby lackattack on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:08 am

Already suggested: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16636

It would be hard on the server to put that logic on every single page. To calculate the number of turns you have waiting I have to go through all your games, expired turns, catch up expired rounds etc.

Unless I use caching and updated it every 5 mins...
Sergeant lackattack

Suggestion - Game Notification

Postby Matroshka on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Concise description:
  • Games that are ready to play show up next to "My Games" under the Game Menu in the side bar.

Specifics:
  • This would show just as new IM's, wall messages, etc. do already. ex: [ 1 ready ]

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Consistency in the side bar
  • Navigation
  • Ability to browse other sections of the site and be alerted of available games

Just a minor suggestion. I think it'd be handy and it fits in with the other notifications.
Sergeant 1st Class Matroshka

Re: Suggestion - Game Notification

Postby chipv on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Have you tried installing Turn Watch ?

You can add waiting games to Turn Watch and see how many players have joined. Also you will get an alert when the game starts.

If this is not good enough for you, then Turn Watch does have the information to do your suggestion exactly as you have described it.
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Postby Matroshka on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:07 pm

I have the Firefox add-on and the Google Desktop app, but their uses aren't the same as my suggestion.

Postby chipv on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:26 pm

Matroshka wrote:I have the Firefox add-on and the Google Desktop app, but their uses aren't the same as my suggestion.

Just to be clear - Turn Watch is a Greasemonkey script, not an extension. Are you thinking of the notifiers ?

ConquerTell notifier and Conquer Watch notifier (Firefox extension and a Google gadget) are basic notifiers, completely different, so if you mean those then of course you are right.

Install Turn Watch using the link above and then you will see what I mean.
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Postby Matroshka on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:33 pm

Sorry, I just assumed, by the name, that it what another type of the turn notifiers I have.

I installed it, and it seems like it does an ok job of what I was asking for. The load time is a bit annoying, but I'll try it for a while.

I would still like to see my suggestion implemented. It just seems logical that if you are notified of new IM's, and Wall posts this way, why not be notified of games this way?

But, on a priority scale, this would be towards the bottom.

Postby chipv on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:41 pm

Matroshka wrote:Sorry, I just assumed, by the name, that it what another type of the turn notifiers I have.

I installed it, and it seems like it does an ok job of what I was asking for. The load time is a bit annoying, but I'll try it for a while.

I would still like to see my suggestion implemented. It just seems logical that if you are notified of new IM's, and Wall posts this way, why not be notified of games this way?

I know exactly what you want. Turn Watch is a halfway house, but I could add in the code to make precisely your suggestion.
I think you may be waiting for this to happen for a while if you want a site change because the code is separate.
PMs and Wall posts are part of the forum whereas the game notification is really part of the game side of the site.
So , although it's not difficult to do, it does mean crossing data between server scripts and depending on how they are separated might not be that simple.
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Postby cicero on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Matroshka wrote:I installed it, and it seems like it does an ok job of what I was asking for. The load time is a bit annoying, but I'll try it for a while.

Quote often things which start life in a script end up becoming part of the site (colour codes, card counts ... I'm sure there are more.) So, this may well be the best way to get what you need in the short term. If the site admins are convinced by the proliferation of the script that almost everyone wants this feature ... who knows!

One thing, as you've noticed, is that there is some delay in running this script. Although it would be quicker if the functionality were built into the site some of that delay is because of the page requests (that trigger database requests) that are made to gather information on turns. I believe part of the reason this was rejected previously was the load this would put on the server since the database requests would be made for everyone - not just the relatively small minority currently using the script.

Having said that, servers can and do - frequently - get upgraded :)
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Postby Matroshka on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:59 pm

Thanks for the insight guys. :)

@chipv

I didn't notice that was your script until just now. I really appreciate the time that you and the other guys that make scripts for CC. These addition come in very handy.

That would be awesome if you could integrate my suggestion into Turn Watch somehow. But if it is time consuming,a pain, or you just don't want to do it, don't even worry about it. It's really just a small idea that popped into my head today and I thought I'd throw it out there/here.

Postby chipv on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Matroshka wrote:Thanks for the insight guys. :)

@chipv

I didn't notice that was your script until just now. I really appreciate the time that you and the other guys that make scripts for CC. These addition come in very handy.

That would be awesome if you could integrate my suggestion into Turn Watch somehow. But if it is time consuming,a pain, or you just don't want to do it, don't even worry about it. It's really just a small idea that popped into my head today and I thought I'd throw it out there/here.

I'll do it, I like the idea. Turn Watch can be sped up a lot, I just haven't gotten round to doing it.
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Number of Playable Games on the 'My Games' button

Postby the yokster on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:47 am

Concise description:

if when u have games going on and its your turn in on you can look and the my games tag and it will have like 1 writtern by it if its your turn in a game.
exampal. My Games (1)
this would mean that i would have 1 game where i can take my turn :D

Specifics:
  • xxxxxxx

it means you can look though forms and do other things without have to check my games every now and then to see if you have any turns!!!! instead u will just have to look at the number by my games
so much easyer!
Last edited by the yokster on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal the yokster

Re: my games u don't have to check anymore!!!!!! read!!!!

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:50 am

Has been suggested several times; please use the search function. As for it's status, I'm not sure.
Major Night Strike

Postby the yokster on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:52 am

well it happens with inbox

Inbox [1 new]
so why not with my games its so much easyer
Corporal the yokster

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:59 am

there are scripts and stuffu can use for this already
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 am

the yokster wrote:Concise description:

if when u have games going on and its your turn in on you can look and the my games tag and it will have like 1 writtern by it if its your turn in a game
exampal. My Games (1)
this would mean that i would have 1 game where i can take my turn

Specifics:
  • xxxxxxx

it means u can look though forms and do other things without have to check my games every now and then to see if u have any turns!!!! instead u will just have to look at the number by my games
so much easyer!

While it's not a bad suggestion... you really need a few tips on forum behavior if you want to be taken seriously.

1) Very few people will look in this thread, because it has 10 exclamation marks in the title. When we see "read!!!!" we don't think, "hmm, this must be an important topic." We think, "this person really wants attention." Usually people who post really annoying titles don't have very good suggestions. Yours happens to be good, but the title should reflect that by being calm. Also, the title would be more helpful if it actually said what you were suggesting. Something like, "Number of Playable Games on the 'My Games' button," would be perfect.

2) Your post is painful to read, because you use "u" instead of "you", and you refuse to write in sentences. This isn't text messaging, and it isn't a chat room. This is a message board, where we don't have to rush our typing. It's hard to tell what you're trying to say when the entire thing is just a string of words. We can understand you, but it takes unnecessary effort.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby the yokster on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:54 am

kk thankyou
i mean
Ok thankyou.

i have changed the things you pointed out
Corporal the yokster

Turn Counter [Implemented - See last post]

Postby skeletonboy on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:29 pm

Add a counter next to the my games button with the number of available turns. Eg [1 turn]. It should be similar to when you have a PM or wall post. This would be good in rt games when you are browsing the forum.
Last edited by skeletonboy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Re: Turn Counter

Postby karelpietertje on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Oh My God.
YES! PLEASE! so simple, so perfect.

This is, like exactly what we need!
It will speed up rt games, decrease the number of people missing their first turns in a speedgame, and just be really helpful in general :D
Major karelpietertje

Re: Turn Counter

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:31 pm

So so so so great!
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions