Map Name: Asia / Greater Asia? / Asian Continent?
Mapmaker(s): MrBenn, Peter Gibbons
Map Size: TBC
Current Draft - 1st July 2010
- I've had this update for some time, although it definitely needs a lot more work yet!
- I'm not convinced about breaking Russia up - I quite like it as one big territory (but that's just me, I guess).
- I've added territory names, and started playing around with getting them to fit... it's definitely going to be a squeeze in some areas, but I'll work on that in due course.
- The region groupings are still tentative, although for the most part I think they make sense how they are. Pakistan could easily be shifted into the Indian Subcontinent, and would probably make that a better bonus, although it would make the "Stans" a lot harder to hold.
- I still need to finish off the Indonesian bit of the map, but most of the other borders are sorted now; hence the updated draft (which is still missing territory names at this stage):
- I'll probably add a couple of extra island territories in due course; but for now the discussion should continue around sensible bonus regions, and any natural impassables that could be added in sensible places.
I've rarely played the Asia map, but was just doing so due to the setup of one of my tournaments. I find the map good from a gameplay perspective, but pretty weak in almost every other aspect. Then I started to think how it isn't even all of Asia to begin with, which led me to thinking of the Europa map, which I think is one of the best on the site. That caused me to contact its mapmaker, MrBrenn, with an idea that is probably obvious to those reading this right now...
I am proposing a new map of Asia that, like Europa, would contain every nation-state on the continent. There will be some major issues to iron out because some countries dwarf their neighbors in Asia, but it worked out really well with Europa and I think it can be done here. So the goal of this project is to construct a graphically pleasing Asia map that stretches all the way from Yemen to Japan and from Indonesia to Turkey. So with the basic concept out of the way, here's an initial design brief.
???? - This might be my biggest stumbling block of all! To my knowledge, there's no natural metropolitan name equivalent to "Europa." And "Asia 2" is out because it signifies a revamp. "New Asia" also makes zero sense. I'm racking by brain but hoping that someone in the foundry will have the creative spark.
46-51 (there will be debate on this both for political, geographic and gameplay issues, but I'm thinking the following entities are on the borderline for inclusion: Palestinian Territories, Cyprus, Seychelles, Maldives, Taiwan)
I'm leaving this one to MrBrenn to fill in. I recruited him because I thought he might be intrigued about creating a follow-up to Europa. I'd be happy for him to pursue a similar design, but I'm also very much open to it being taken in an entirely new graphical direction. In other words, watch this space!
See introduction above.
Me? Well, none--other than offering my occasional two cents on about 20 or so maps that have gone through the foundry. But I am partnering with a somewhat experienced cartographer!
So, with that, the idea is out there. MrBrenn and I have exchanged PMs and I'm posting this per his instructions. I'm sure we should get a little discussion going here before he launches into an initial draft, so have at it! Is this a map that people would like to see? If so, as I hope, what sort of input do people have to offer? There are gameplay hurdles to overcome as I've mentioned (I'm imagining we need some impassables, unlike Europa), so all ideas are welcome because other than the general thought of "hey, let's have an Asian map like Europa!" I haven't hashed this out too far.