The King's Court [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

The King's Court [Quenched]

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 am

ImageImageImageImageImage

I’ve been thinking over the past few weeks about making a board game style map that would condensate some map concepts – Feudal, Waterloo, Poland and Clandemonium
-We would have 8 starting positions – The Castles – that would be directly connected to the King’s Court by a family member.

Every Castle cluster will have a Catapult maker, an Archer training ground, a vassal Knight, and 2 villages (the more favoured positions/castles on map will have the second village slightly dispersed by 1 hexagon)

The King’s Court

Every family member has direct access to the King’s four Counsellors. These high placed advisers will lend some special abilities to the noble family that better knows how to use their influence on them. They will also grant access to the King.

The King is the most important character/region on map – He can one-way assault any Castle. Gaining power over the Noble families and reverting their Castles to the State.

Art & Concept - Kabanellas
Code - chipv

XML - http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/5/8/1902058/Kings_Court.xml
Large Map - http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_Beta5_img.png
Small Map - http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_Beta5_small_img.png

Version 20

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Neutral starters map
all 'N' territories will start with 1 neutral troop

Click image to enlarge.

Previous versions
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KC_image.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KC_V10_img.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KC_V11_img.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KC_V12_img.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_V13_img.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_V13_img-1.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_V16a_small_img.png
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af105/Kabanellas/KCourt_Beta3_img.png
Last edited by Kabanellas on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:50 am, edited 37 times in total.
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (1)

Re: The King's Court

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 am

OMG I love this. Do it do it do it! :D

I would advise you to move castle D up one and castle H down one. They're the only ones next to impassables, which gives them an advantage...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks a lot Natty :)

I can't move them out of place, because they need to remain reachable from the Trebuchets.

And concerning that possible advantage of having an impassible close to it. I don't really agree - all the other castles (unlike D and H) are close to map borders which will compensate for not having an impassable.
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Location: "Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it."
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (7)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (13) Map Contribution (7) General Contribution (1)

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:06 am

Very interesting... Obviously I'd liek to see the graphics be something other than clandamonium but its very early yet.

As for the gameplay... you're charting new territory. This definitely looks like a lot of fun, though perhaps some time will be needed to get accustomed to it. It reminds me a bit of waterloo

But I'd like to see the king, counselors and family make a pyramid scheme rather than a square. I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

Kabanellas wrote:And concerning that possible advantage of having an impassible close to it. I don't really agree - all the other castles (unlike D and H) are close to map borders which will compensate for not having an impassable.

I still disagree. The King's Court acts as an impassable (since it can only be accessed from the castles) making the map actually O-shaped, a ring. Thus I don't see a disadvantage to being in the center... the center castles are effectively just as close to borders as the other ones.

If you don't want to move the castles, just move the impassables ;)

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Postby grifftron on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 am

very very cool kab, can't wait to see this develop more.

-griff
‹army of nobunaga› me and so many other people including people in your own clan look at you as a joke
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 120
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (16) Training Achievement (3) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (30) General Contribution (3)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:28 am

natty_dread wrote:I still disagree. The King's Court acts as an impassable (since it can only be accessed from the castles) making the map actually O-shaped, a ring. Thus I don't see a disadvantage to being in the center... the center castles are effectively just as close to borders as the other ones.

I'll try to explain my point of view Natty:

Take Castle B cluster, for instances. (ultimately) one could defend this cluster in point 4,6,7 and 1 - 4 borders. In Castle H cluster you would have 5 points to defend (even with that impassable)

Helix, I tried the pyramid scheme.. but doesn't quite make it to me graphically. And I had to make the central board wider, which is not a good thing.

Click image to enlarge.
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:04 am

I kind of see what you mean, but I like the way it looks with the pyramid thing.

i also love those little silhouettes. It kind of looks like everyone is about to kiss, tee-hee!

This is a totally random suggestion... but what if you used chess pieces instead of silhouettes... field marshal = Rook, bishop = bishop, nobles are pawns... its less a suggestion but more of a notice of similarity. Where the hell is the queen? If macbeth taught me anything it was the queen is one of the most powerful players... well, macbeth and chess.
Cook Industrial Helix

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Training Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (3)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:33 pm

lol

..I also love those silhouettes. And can't give up on them, they were all drawn by me :)
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:08 pm

I don't get how one attacks the archers on the impassables. S2 for example...

Also, how does this look shrunken down to small size?
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby rockandrull on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm not a feudal fan (everyone else is), but I like it. I noticed not every territory has a name. And how can you own an umpassable territory?
Private rockandrull

Medals: 1
Tournament Contribution (1)

Postby natty dread on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Field marshal can assault all archers...

Postby theBastard on Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:04 pm

very interesting idea to do feudal table game :)

just one notice/question: why some castles have one village not bordering with its castle and other castles yes?
Corporal 1st Class theBastard

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:I don't get how one attacks the archers on the impassables. S2 for example...

Archers are connected with other archers within 4 Hexagons (even if in an impassable position), they can also be assaulted by the Field Marshall
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:09 pm

theBastard wrote:very interesting idea to do feudal table game :)

just one notice/question: why some castles have one village not bordering with its castle and other castles yes?

I've explained it in the first post :)

Kabanellas wrote:Every Castle cluster will have a Catapult maker, an Archer training ground, a vassal Knight, and 2 villages (the more favoured positions/castles on map will have the second village slightly dispersed by 1 hexagon)
Major Kabanellas
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Next

Return to The Atlas