Conquer Club

Is 1 v 1 freestyle just who spends more time?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Is 1 v 1 freestyle just who spends more time?

Postby DannyUncanny on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 pm

I had a 1 vs 1 Freestyle game where I was winning pretty solidly with SA held under 8 armies. The other guy disappears for 20 hours, and then takes his turn. I take my turn 2 hours later, and right in the middle, he jumps in, grabs some key territory, and ends his turn, before I end mine, giving him an extra turn. Then he gets to go again after me, and uses the extra cards to take the game. Obviously I feel ripped off. He's can get 2 turns for every turn I take if he spends enough time watching the game. Whereas he waits many hours to take his turn, and I don't have time to sit around watching the game. Is the key to winning just sitting on the computer clicking refresh?
Lieutenant DannyUncanny

Re: Is 1 v 1 freestyle just who spends more time?

Postby Viceroy63 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:54 pm

Freestyle does have several advantages and disadvantages to it. One of the advantages is that if you are the first to play then those are troops that you don't lose by being eliminated if it comes to that. One of the disadvantages is the loss of sleep having to wait for the other players. If you want to be first that is and take advantage of being the first to play on the next round.

Freestyle is not a setting that I would play 1vs.1 because an astute player sitting by his computer hitting the refresher button (as you say), can catch you with your guards down. While you are conquering an area, he can be conquering you from behind in that very same area at the very same time that you are playing and you would not know it until the turn ends. It's sneaky but that is a special tactic inherit to freestyle games.

It's not that he played twice in one round but that he play first his next round as you played that round and did not give you time to absorb his attack in order to prepare a counter attack. That particular tactic is deadly when it involves other players and there are more options to attack one way and have every think that they know what he will do next and at the beginning of the next round reveal his true attack.

Freestyle settings are basically for people who have lots of time to keep checking up on the internet constantly to see if they can play first and not have to wait. For there in is the advantage of Freestyle. If you don't but check in on your games only once per day then I would suggest that you avoid freestyle games and stick with sequential settings.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby DannyUncanny on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 am

Why isn't there a freestyle mode that doesn't let other players gank you in the middle of your turn? So anyone can take their turn any time, but once a player has started their turn, nobody else can play at the same time and mess with them.
Lieutenant DannyUncanny

Postby rhp 1 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:41 pm

DannyUncanny wrote:Why isn't there a freestyle mode that doesn't let other players gank you in the middle of your turn? So anyone can take their turn any time, but once a player has started their turn, nobody else can play at the same time and mess with them.

that's why you play speed freestyle... snail freestyle is lame as hell
Lieutenant rhp 1

Location: IF YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOU'RE DOING, IT IS BEST TO DO IT....... QUICKLY

Postby Viceroy63 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:54 pm

DannyUncanny wrote:Why isn't there a freestyle mode that doesn't let other players gank you in the middle of your turn? So anyone can take their turn any time, but once a player has started their turn, nobody else can play at the same time and mess with them.

I agree with you there in that it would remove a lot of the surprise and secret attacks and would be an option that I would personally enjoy playing but I am also sure that it was considered as an option at the creation of this setting and decided against in order to create the secret surprise and real time attack. In other words the creators wanted this so that players who can master it can find themselves among the high scorers and possibly the Conqueror position due to this technique.

There are many paths to Conqueror, each man must choose the path that best befits him.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby Jippd on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 am

If you are talking 1 v 1 then playing sequential would solve your problem.
Major Jippd

Postby DannyUncanny on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I was talking about bigger games.

The 1 vs 1 game was just me trying something new. I now realize that it is a really stupid game that simply measures who can spend more time on the internet clicking refresh, or can afford to wake up at weird hours to play in the middle of the night to avoid the other guy out there clicking refresh. But ultimately any large free style game will come down to 1 vs 1 at some point where these super cheap tactics come back into play. Taking 2 turns for every turn your opponent takes can basically turn around almost any kind of advantage.
Lieutenant DannyUncanny

Postby Viceroy63 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:44 pm

DannyUncanny wrote:I was talking about bigger games.

The 1 vs 1 game was just me trying something new. I now realize that it is a really stupid game that simply measures who can spend more time on the internet clicking refresh, or can afford to wake up at weird hours to play in the middle of the night to avoid the other guy out there clicking refresh. But ultimately any large free style game will come down to 1 vs 1 at some point where these super cheap tactics come back into play. Taking 2 turns for every turn your opponent takes can basically turn around almost any kind of advantage.

Again; No one can take two turns while the other takes only one. At least not that I know of. What is lost is the timing or tempo of the game. Tempo is where I hit you first and then you hit me back with a sort of a pause between hits to absorb, readjust and sort of recuperate or regroup for another assault or hit. When I hit you and then as you are about to hit me back I also hit you right away I take that pause away from you so that when you hit me back it is not as strong. I wipe out your strength by not allowing you a pause to hit me back as best as you could. I should add here that the tactic discussed also has disadvantages that are not readily or easily seen at the time. It is a gamble but when done right it pays off big time. But it is the sort of knock out punch that you would save for the right time in the game.

In the game, you do not lose a turn. It just seems that way because the tempo has been change but no one lost a turn and the tempo could always be changed again eventually if you know how and if the game last long enough. This also happens in the game of Chess where White plays first so white by nature plays offensively and Black plays second and so by nature plays defensively. But as it happens the tables are sometimes turned so that suddenly Black is the one playing offensively and White is then on the defense.

This is due to a little know tactic called, "The In between move." The in between move, while it may not seemingly pose any threat at the time yet when couple with further moves proposes a problem for white that he must answer right away or lose something of value. The result is that in order to save himself from that predicament he must sacrifice his timing. White does not lose a turn but his inherent right to be the offensive player in the game had to be sacrificed to save the situation. It is a move that is not right away as obvious yet just as deadly. So is the play that follows immediately on the heals of another in Freestyle settings.

A play is made that is not as obvious but may prompt one to play in an anticipated manner or may not, and yet the end result is the same, the timing has been changed. The player who has played last and positioned himself and now holds the right spoils can now, by being the first player in the next round advance into a critical region or position to maximize his assault thus changing the timing in the game. No one has lost a turn and no one has played twice in a row. All will get the chance to play once in that round but the advantage had now been taken by that player who had probably stayed up all night waiting for the first player in the round to "hurry up" and play so that he can take the advantage of his position (having been the last to play for the position in the previous round) before some one else knocks him from his advantageous position to maximize his assault. But he did not play twice. He was simply the last to play in one round and then waited till the first player (which could not be him) to play in the next round.

As far as I know, no one can play twice in a row. It just appears that way. In Freestyle games everyone plays one time in each round.
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby TDK on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm

The disadvantage to taking two quick turns is the long wait you have until the third turn - but this only shows up in games with more than two players. Just stick with seq turns for 1v1 games and you'll have a lot more fun.
Cadet TDK

Postby Viceroy63 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:14 am

TDK wrote:The disadvantage to taking two quick turns is the long wait you have until the third turn - but this only shows up in games with more than two players. Just stick with seq turns for 1v1 games and you'll have a lot more fun.

That's right! A lot can happen in that long wait and you never know what it could be. One thing for sure is that if you become too big too early other players have a tendency to cut you back down to size when a player gets to big for their britches. LOL.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby anonymus on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 am

yeah, play seq instead.. will focus on the tactics and not on who is more at the computer/quicker to finish their turn.. that being said 1v1 seq is mainly about dice and drop so stick to teamgames.. that being said probably stick to quads to eliminate drop-chanse, that being said probably stick to bigger maps to eliminate the dice-chanse in first few turns in quads, that being said, probably stick to bigger conquesrmas like das schloss to be sure of what you are doing, that being said make sure to choose the right settings, that being said, remembre its just a game and play what suits you and not anything else.. that beniong said you need the damn freestyle and trench medals aswell--

good luck
/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
Major anonymus

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:32 pm

rhp 1 wrote:

that's why you play speed freestyle... snail freestyle is lame as hell

What the hell are you talking about?? Casual freestyle is not lame as hell and I suspect you would be terrible at it, which is why you say that.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Return to Conquer Club Discussion