The New World [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:16 am

GoranZ wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Yeah, it would be possible for 2-player games if you would only code 2 starting positions, then those positions would be ignored in 3-8 player games.


I think that this isn't possible... its the same as with King Court.


Yes it is. You can code any amount of starting positions and each starting position can have any amount of territories.

If there are not enough starting positions for a given game type (ie. 2 positions for a 3-8 player game) then the positions are ignored and the xml works as if there were no positions at all.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:17 am

GoranZ wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Yeah, it would be possible for 2-player games if you would only code 2 starting positions, then those positions would be ignored in 3-8 player games.


I think that this isn't possible... its the same as with King Court.


i don't know about the king court issue but i believe 3 starting positions is the minimum. (in 2 player games 1 will be random and the other 2 will be players)

i think that's actually doable, in 2 player games this will solve the imbalance (most of the map will be neutral and 2 players will randomly start in one of 3 pre-assigned areas) in 3 player games the same 3 area's will be used (may spoil the fun a little in 3 player games because everyone will know which starting locations are in use) and in 4-8 player games the game will be exactly the same as it is now, i believe.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Lieutenant zimmah
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 am

zimmah wrote: i believe 3 starting positions is the minimum.


Nope, you can have any amount of starting positions. Although if you only code 1 it will be ignored in all game types.

zimmah wrote:(in 2 player games 1 will be random and the other 2 will be players)


Starting positions are distributed differently from regular territories, regarding 2-player games. Ie. they are always divided equally, if you have 4 starting positions then each player gets 2 in a 2 player game.

If you have 3 starting positions, then each player gets 1, and the 3rd one is either made neutral or added to the pot with the rest of regular territories and distributed that way, depending on how it's coded (ie. if it's coded as neutral or not).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:37 am

natty_dread wrote:
zimmah wrote: i believe 3 starting positions is the minimum.


Nope, you can have any amount of starting positions. Although if you only code 1 it will be ignored in all game types.

zimmah wrote:(in 2 player games 1 will be random and the other 2 will be players)


Starting positions are distributed differently from regular territories, regarding 2-player games. Ie. they are always divided equally, if you have 4 starting positions then each player gets 2 in a 2 player game.

If you have 3 starting positions, then each player gets 1, and the 3rd one is either made neutral or added to the pot with the rest of regular territories and distributed that way, depending on how it's coded (ie. if it's coded as neutral or not).


oh believe i read it somewhere that the minimum was 3, but maybe it was wrong. didn't make much sense to me either.
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Lieutenant zimmah
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby Geger on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 am

Geger wrote:Thank you for both answers.

Just found this link viewtopic.php?f=649&t=68154

... I'm still reading, I hope I can find something ;)


Sorry couldn't find anything (because I don't understand how xml works :lol: ).

I just found a similarity with Monster-Map. I have no idea, how he did. But if we follow his logic and use it in New World, where we split the starting position into 2 groups (N- and E-Homelands), each player will have :

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 2 N-Homelands each.
- both players would have 2 E-Homelands

In a 3 and 4 player game
- all players would have 1 N-Homelands each .
- all players would have 1 E-Homelands

In more than 4 player game
- no idea :mrgreen:

... not exactly what I want. :?
User avatar
Colonel Geger
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 am
Location: Sumatra
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:58 am

Well, it could be coded with 4 starting positions, each position holding one native homeland and one european homeland, with one european homeland left over.

In 2-player games, each player would get 2 n. homelands and 2 e. homelands, and one e.homeland would be neutral.
In 3-player games, each player would first get 1 n.homeland and 1 e. homeland, then the remaining 1 n.homeland and 2 e.homelands would be divided randomly among the 3 players, so in effect: two of the players would get 2 e.homelands and 1 n.homeland, while one player would get 2 n.homelands and 1 e.homeland.
In 4-player games, each player would get 1 n.homeland and 1 e.homeland, and one e.homeland would be neutral.
In 5-player games and above, all the homelands would be distributed randomly as they are now (the positions would be ignored).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:59 am

natty_dread wrote:Well, it could be coded with 4 starting positions, each position holding one native homeland and one european homeland, with one european homeland left over.

In 2-player games, each player would get 2 n. homelands and 2 e. homelands, and one e.homeland would be neutral.
In 3-player games, each player would first get 1 n.homeland and 1 e. homeland, then the remaining 1 n.homeland and 2 e.homelands would be divided randomly among the 3 players, so in effect: two of the players would get 2 e.homelands and 1 n.homeland, while one player would get 2 n.homelands and 1 e.homeland.
In 4-player games, each player would get 1 n.homeland and 1 e.homeland, and one e.homeland would be neutral.
In 5-player games and above, all the homelands would be distributed randomly as they are now (the positions would be ignored).



i think this would be the best solution.

just which european homeland should start neutral then in 2 and 4 player games? i'd say holland.

and which native/european lands should be linked?
Image
owenshooter wrote:i disagree with you and i'm right!

Een van de Veroveraars der Lage Landen
User avatar
Lieutenant zimmah
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: VDLL
Medals: 42
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Map Contribution (4)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby natty dread on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:25 am

I guess the best solution might be spreading each pair as far from each other as possible, ie. the homelands furthest from each other would be paired.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread
 
Posts: 13257
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Location: fucked off
Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (12) Map Contribution (12) General Contribution (7)

Re:

Postby ApexPredator on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:16 pm

babinecz wrote:it is a great idea, but i agree that some of your facts are off...i.e. aztec are furhter south than that, "MAPUCHES," are actually a group of indigenous people from paraguay that relocated to southern argentina (patagonia essentially) because of the saramiento racial cleansings, so, not really applicable. i think it would be good if you just had the imperial nations, and include russia as an extra one, because they did have northwestern territories at the presumed point of early to mid sixteenth century i'm believe you are aiming at. just lose all the native empires and stick with six empires starting, and have the respective western territories neutral for the conquering

This one could be cool. Most of the other historical corrections are, as stated, not very good for gameplay.
Plus, Russia's always fun.
Private ApexPredator
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby ogro on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:32 am

Thank you for your New World map. I enjoy it a lot.
Talking about strategy: How is possible for a player to avoid bombing from Europe to colonies?
I will appreciate your answer.
Regards... and congratulations for the map.
Corporal ogro
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Monterrey
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby nolefan5311 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am

ogro wrote:Thank you for your New World map. I enjoy it a lot.
Talking about strategy: How is possible for a player to avoid bombing from Europe to colonies?
I will appreciate your answer.
Regards... and congratulations for the map.


Not sure I really understand the question, but you can always conquer that region from the Landing Point.
Image
User avatar
Major nolefan5311
 
Posts: 1623
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 am
Location: Florida
Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm

Aha !

"+1 for 2 territories within an empire"

"Homelands bombards any other territories within their empire"

Put these together and, by logic, which nobody (except some women arguing) can deny, homelands and landing bases are in the same empire.

therefore their is either a mistake on the map explanation, or in the xml, for thre not to be a +1 bonus for this.

Logically.

:twisted:
User avatar
Captain Teflon Kris
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Lancashire, United Kingdom
Medals: 170
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Aha !

"+1 for 2 territories within an empire"

"Homelands bombards any other territories within their empire"

Put these together and, by logic, which nobody (except some women arguing) can deny, homelands and landing bases are in the same empire.

therefore their is either a mistake on the map explanation, or in the xml, for thre not to be a +1 bonus for this.

Logically.

:twisted:


Sorry I don't think I understand what you mean?
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: The New World [Quenched]

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Homelands and landing bases are in the same empire, so, according to the map information, that is a +1 bonus.

Therefore there is either a mistake on the map explanation, or in the xml, for there not to be a +1 bonus for this (which there isnt).

Only a problem for new players on the map, and most folks would agree that +4 auto and +3 auto is enough bonus for homeland and landing site, no need for the other +1 that the mao text states.
User avatar
Captain Teflon Kris
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:39 pm
Location: Lancashire, United Kingdom
Medals: 170
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (4)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (8)

Previous

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Login