The Men Who Built America (History Channel Series..lol)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:I might watch it, but I rather see the Story of All of Us



Indeed that's the story of every country, the story of all of us.

Every country has held slaves and battled with indiginous peeps.


Some more than others.

In any case, the indiginous peeps in our case, were more slaughtered by the black plague than they were us. As in all other countries with "indiginous peeps" they would most likely have a massive presence, if not have kept the invaders out, if it were not for the plague having something like an 80% mortality rate with Native Americans.

By the way phatty...the use of the phrase; "battled with indiginous peeps"... makes you a POS :D

I hope you someday get to be that type of peep.


You nail why I fear "Progressives"....

hmm, others? Which countries handled their slavery issue within their first born generation?


And a follow up question. When in history has the loser of a war or battle been treated like the winner? You do understand the Indians lost the battles, right? You do understand that throughout most of world history, the losers were enslaved and murdered, right?

And why are you snarling at me all the time lately? Is it really because I used the word peeps instead of peoples?
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:33 pm

User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 pm

Personal Anecdote- my first year living in the US. Weird confrontation in the cafeteria:

Student: America never lost a war!
Symmetry: Well, there was Vietnam.
Student: That wasn't a war.
Symmetry: I visited the memorial last week.
Student: [To entire cafeteria] Symmetry just said America is a loser!

LATER

[Symmetry picks chewing gum out of hair, notes that humiliating defeat in Vietnam is uncomfortable to people who chew gum]
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:Personal Anecdote- my first year living in the US. Weird confrontation in the cafeteria:

Student: America never lost a war!
Symmetry: Well, there was Vietnam.
Student: That wasn't a war.
Symmetry: I visited the memorial last week.
Student: [To entire cafeteria] Symmetry just said America is a loser!

LATER

[Symmetry picks chewing gum out of hair, notes that humiliating defeat in Vietnam is uncomfortable to people who chew gum]


Why the hell are you posting that bullshit story here? :-s
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Personal Anecdote- my first year living in the US. Weird confrontation in the cafeteria:

Student: America never lost a war!
Symmetry: Well, there was Vietnam.
Student: That wasn't a war.
Symmetry: I visited the memorial last week.
Student: [To entire cafeteria] Symmetry just said America is a loser!

LATER

[Symmetry picks chewing gum out of hair, notes that humiliating defeat in Vietnam is uncomfortable to people who chew gum]


Why the hell are you posting that bullshit story here? :-s


Is this not the thread for vague anecdotes about macho American dudes?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby AAFitz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:I might watch it, but I rather see the Story of All of Us



Indeed that's the story of every country, the story of all of us.

Every country has held slaves and battled with indiginous peeps.


Some more than others.

In any case, the indiginous peeps in our case, were more slaughtered by the black plague than they were us. As in all other countries with "indiginous peeps" they would most likely have a massive presence, if not have kept the invaders out, if it were not for the plague having something like an 80% mortality rate with Native Americans.

By the way phatty...the use of the phrase; "battled with indiginous peeps"... makes you a POS :D

I hope you someday get to be that type of peep.


You nail why I fear "Progressives"....

hmm, others? Which countries handled their slavery issue within their first born generation?


And a follow up question. When in history has the loser of a war or battle been treated like the winner? You do understand the Indians lost the battles, right? You do understand that throughout most of world history, the losers were enslaved and murdered, right?

And why are you snarling at me all the time lately? Is it really because I used the word peeps instead of peoples?


No, dont worry, Im not that pettty. I assure you, its based on a complete lack of respect for your lack of character. Using peeps instead of peeps is just another in a long list of examples.

As far as answering your questions goes: You know those are rhetorical questions right? :lol:
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
User avatar
Major AAFitz
 
Posts: 7216
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby AAFitz on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Phatscotty wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Personal Anecdote- my first year living in the US. Weird confrontation in the cafeteria:

Student: America never lost a war!
Symmetry: Well, there was Vietnam.
Student: That wasn't a war.
Symmetry: I visited the memorial last week.
Student: [To entire cafeteria] Symmetry just said America is a loser!

LATER

[Symmetry picks chewing gum out of hair, notes that humiliating defeat in Vietnam is uncomfortable to people who chew gum]


Why the hell are you posting that bullshit story here? :-s


[Phatscotty] Why the hell are you posting th[ose countless] bullshit stor[ies] here?
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"
User avatar
Major AAFitz
 
Posts: 7216
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:47 am
Location: On top of the World 2.1
Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:48 pm

AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
AAFitz wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
MegaProphet wrote:I might watch it, but I rather see the Story of All of Us



Indeed that's the story of every country, the story of all of us.

Every country has held slaves and battled with indiginous peeps.


Some more than others.

In any case, the indiginous peeps in our case, were more slaughtered by the black plague than they were us. As in all other countries with "indiginous peeps" they would most likely have a massive presence, if not have kept the invaders out, if it were not for the plague having something like an 80% mortality rate with Native Americans.

By the way phatty...the use of the phrase; "battled with indiginous peeps"... makes you a POS :D

I hope you someday get to be that type of peep.


You nail why I fear "Progressives"....

hmm, others? Which countries handled their slavery issue within their first born generation?


And a follow up question. When in history has the loser of a war or battle been treated like the winner? You do understand the Indians lost the battles, right? You do understand that throughout most of world history, the losers were enslaved and murdered, right?

And why are you snarling at me all the time lately? Is it really because I used the word peeps instead of peoples?


No, dont worry, Im not that pettty. I assure you, its based on a complete lack of respect for your lack of character. Using peeps instead of peeps is just another in a long list of examples.

As far as answering your questions goes: You know those are rhetorical questions right? :lol:


dodge. If your post is going to basically say nothing, why even post? (other than a vague attack on my character) Just get some perspective is all. You continually cram the history of America into the lens of 2012. It's a Progressive trait.

cracking yourself up a lot today eh?

I always use the word peeps.

We the Peeps!
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Symmetry on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Phatscotty wrote:I know why you stalk me....


That's gonna need a bit of elaboration. Creepy wall posts doesn't quite cut it. Especially if you're going for the "I'm ignoring you" schtick.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1752
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Just realized something else too. All these men who built America and brought us railroads, steel, electricity, modern finance, oil, the automobile etc etc they all did so at a time when American's kept every penny of their earnings IE no income tax
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Lootifer on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Correlation does not imply causation.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Competing
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Lootifer wrote:Correlation does not imply causation.


Luckily, I was not implying causation. Not even close. The implication was just to note that government is not the only entity that can provide infrastructure, we would not go back to the stone age if the government had to get its money from somewhere other than American workers earnings, and to point out that our golden age of innovation and opportunity existed when there was extremely limited government, we were on the gold standard, and there was no income tax. Schools and colleges provided much better education without federal government money.

Implication: We had all the right ingredients to earn the nickname "land of opportunity"
further implication: we have all the opposite ingredients now, and the result is the opposite of opportunity
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Lootifer on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Schools and colleges provided much better education without federal government money.

Implication: We had all the right ingredients to earn the nickname "land of opportunity"
further implication: we have all the opposite ingredients now, and the result is the opposite of opportunity

So I guess you're not a fan of John Adams then eh? ;)

Reading the wiki on the history of education in the US there is a substantial increase in public schools during that self same golden era. While again correlation doesn't imply causation its an interesting counter point to note.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:30 pm
Location: Competing
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:05 pm

Lootifer wrote:
Schools and colleges provided much better education without federal government money.

Implication: We had all the right ingredients to earn the nickname "land of opportunity"
further implication: we have all the opposite ingredients now, and the result is the opposite of opportunity

So I guess you're not a fan of John Adams then eh? ;)

Reading the wiki on the history of education in the US there is a substantial increase in public schools during that self same golden era. While again correlation doesn't imply causation its an interesting counter point to note.


Funny you should ask. I'm about 200 pages into his autobiography at the moment. Adams is definitely one of my favorites. I've seen the HBO series probably 100 times (I always fall asleep to it). Have you read his autobiography or maybe seen the series? Not sure what your assumption implies, but you can try to trap me with it. 8-)

I will grant your point that 100% of schools were not independent of federal funding. I was going to put that in my previous post, but didn't think you would go there, since it doesn't prove or disprove anything really. I would assume based on common sense and a growing population along with building more schools to accomodate the growth (with the exception of the flu pandemic and world wars and probably some great depression years) that public school investment has grown probably every year.....

example: Barack Obama and Democrat controlled Congress increased education spending 100% in either 2009 or 2010, and the other year I think it was increased by 78% (when you add up various factors, not just the budget of the BOE). What was the outcome? teachers strikes, union growth in money and power, and results that stayed about the same as the year before.... unless you count the warm fuzzies and ego stroking some people seem to be dependent on

For the sake of the thread topic tho, there is a clear takeover of the education system by the federal government around the time of "the great society". When it comes to public funding, for these purposes, it can be pretty much summed up as pre great society and post G. S. And it's crystal clear that while schools have gotten a lot nicer and have swimming pools and internet access and heat and AC and free lunch programs, the results of our education system since the 1960's has been steadily getting worse.

bottom line is, IMO, our once best in the world education system will probably not survive the impact of the counter-culture and the now too powerful teachers unions.
Last edited by Phatscotty on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Major Phatscotty
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:50 pm
Medals: 86
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (5)
General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Training Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (11) General Contribution (2)

Re: The Men Who Built America

Postby Metsfanmax on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Phatscotty wrote:For the sake of the thread topic tho, there is a clear takeover of the education system by the federal government around the time of "the great society". When it comes to public funding, for these purposes, it can be pretty much summed up as pre great society and post G. S. And it's crystal clear that while schools have gotten a lot nicer and have swimming pools and internet access and heat and AC and free lunch programs, the results of our education system since the 1960's has been steadily getting worse


Lootifer wrote:Correlation does not imply causation.
User avatar
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
Head Thinker
Head Thinker
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: NY
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Metsfanmax and 5 guests

Login