Conquer Club

January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

An area holding all of the past and current Monthly Challenges.

Moderator: Community Team

January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 am

Official Monthly Challenge for January 2019
Brought to you by the Community Team.

Image

Click Here to Join Waiting 5 Player Games

January SCOREBOARD

No Sign-Ups Required

SETTINGS
Map: San Francisco
Players Per Game: 5
Game Type: Standard or Terminator
Initial Troops: ANY
Play Order: ANY
Spoils: Escalating or Nuclear
Reinforcements: No Forts
FOG: OPTIONAL
TRENCH: OPTIONAL
Round Limit: 20 or 30
Round Length: ANY
Joinablility: PUBLIC

MEDAL CRITERIA and SCORING
Gold Tokens are for WINS
Bronze Tokens for Joining games


Scoreboard is ranked by number of GOLD tokens divided by number of BRONZE tokens
(In other words, by overall win percentage).

At least 2 gold tokens and at least 5 bronze tokens are required for a CA medal, with an overall win percentage of at least 30%

Notes
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 am

FAQs:

Who can play a Challenge?
Challenges are open to everyone!

How do I join?
No signups required. Join and/or create games that meet the given parameters for this month as found in the OP. Only public games count towards the challenge unless otherwise explicitly stated in the challenge OP. There is also a "join games" link in the OP to provide an easy list of qualifying games.

What are the prizes?
All players who meet or exceed the minimum number of required points for the month will earn a Challenge Achievement Medal. The point requirements change every month as we aim to provide a vast assortment of challenges which includes a varying level of difficulty.
Image

Site Event Medals are awarded to the top three finishers on the challenge scoreboard.
1st: Image
2nd: Image
3rd: Image


In addition to the medals, the first place finisher receives: 1 Green Conquer Star
Image
And the 2nd-5th place finishers receive: 1 Blue Conquer Star
Image

When do I get my prize?
My goal is always to award prizes during the week following the completion of the event.

How do we deal with deadbeating?
Please report deadbeats in your games by sending me a PM. I will periodically do a random check however I cannot monitor every game. We will evaluate the distribution of prizes to a violating player on a case by case basis.

Tiebreakers?
Ties are awarded to the player who reached the point threshold first.

A player has me foed and it is preventing me from joining a lot of challenge games. What can I do?
PM the player in question. Be courteous and non-accusatory, ask why you are foed. Do your best to resolve any issues with the other user in this manner. However, if they decided not to remove you from their foe list then you will need to join games without that player or start your own.

What if I want to run a parallel tournament to the challenge?
Okay, awesome! Individual tournaments can be added to the challenges so that those games drop tokens. Send me a PM and we will get it added for the month.

Rulings:
1. Deadbeats will have entry points stripped.
2. Wins by round limit will drop tokens.
3. Inventory relating to the challenge will vanish at the end of the year.
4. Bot games do not drop tokens.
5. Any unforeseen abuse is still abuse. Don't take advantage of the system.

If you have any further questions or issues not covered here please either post in the active challenge thread or PM groovysmurf.

Last Updated: November 2018
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby Silly Knig-it on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:51 am

So the challenge goal of 30 is 30%, correct?

The gold and bronze tokens have no value other than to plug into the formula:

G divided by B >= 30 %

If Yes, winner
No, loser

Is the above correct?
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 am
Location: Everett, WA
Medals: 135
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (17) Tournament Contribution (30)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am

Silly Knig-it wrote:So the challenge goal of 30 is 30%, correct?

The gold and bronze tokens have no value other than to plug into the formula:

G divided by B >= 30 %

If Yes, winner
No, loser

Is the above correct?

Yep, that's correct. :)
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby josko.ri on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 am

Which is tiebreaker if players have the same winning %? Is it the same as before, who first reaches that score?
Image
User avatar
Brigadier josko.ri
 
Posts: 3173
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:18 pm
Medals: 307
Conqueror Achievement (1) The Championships Bronze (1) Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Monthly Leader Gold (6) Monthly Leader Silver (7)
Monthly Leader Bronze (7) Most Improved Gold (1) Most Improved Silver (1) Most Improved Bronze (1) Event Gold (1)
Event Silver (2) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Polymorphic Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (4)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

josko.ri wrote:Which is tiebreaker if players have the same winning %? Is it the same as before, who first reaches that score?


I believe so...
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby t4mcr53s2 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 pm

congratulations Josko 3 of 5 wins should do it I bet and since you got there first....
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist
Brigadier t4mcr53s2
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: maryland, usa
Medals: 129
The Championships Gold (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (2) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3)
Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (24) Training Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (20) Tribe Achievement (4)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby GaryDenton on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 pm

Curious, I have 8 games but they don't show up on the scoreboard but I can find them when I use the "click here to join waiting 5-player games" and change it to axtive games with myself as a player.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class GaryDenton
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:43 am

GaryDenton wrote:Curious, I have 8 games but they don't show up on the scoreboard but I can find them when I use the "click here to join waiting 5-player games" and change it to axtive games with myself as a player.

Thanks for the heads up! I've PM'd bigWham, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby GaryDenton on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:52 am

Appears one of your games has to complete before your games show up on the scoreboard.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class GaryDenton
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 am

GaryDenton wrote:Curious, I have 8 games but they don't show up on the scoreboard but I can find them when I use the "click here to join waiting 5-player games" and change it to axtive games with myself as a player.
GaryDenton wrote:Appears one of your games has to complete before your games show up on the scoreboard.

Until you reach the minimum requirements, your score is zero.

Usually there is room on the scoreboard for the people with some tokens despite a zero score, but the scoreboard only shows the Top 50 and this month there are a lot more than 50 people participating, so some of the ones with a zero score are not making it onto the scoreboard.
Image
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 22412
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 235
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Event Gold (2) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (26)
Clan Achievement (30) Training Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (32) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (21)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby anonymus on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 am

aww.. shit-balls, i need to learn how to read..
i joined way to many of these, since for once its nice settings.,, and then ofcourse the twist is that you shouldnt play any games..

goddamnit

/ :?:
Click image to enlarge.
image

show: BoganGod speaks the truth
User avatar
Captain anonymus
 
Posts: 1493
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:09 am
Location: Former DDR
Medals: 133
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Most Improved Gold (1) Most Improved Silver (2) Standard Achievement (4)
Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3)
Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (20) General Achievement (11)
Clan Achievement (20) Training Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (9) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby GaryDenton on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:36 am

And Swifte appears to be winning it with 5 wins from 7 games.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class GaryDenton
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:58 am
Medals: 32
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 am

I was on the scoreboard for this previously and now I’m not. I looked and it looks like the reinforcement option is the difference. Was something changed afterward?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chapcrap
 
Posts: 9676
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 191
Event Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (18) Clan Achievement (23) Training Achievement (6)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:10 pm

chapcrap wrote:I was on the scoreboard for this previously and now I’m not. I looked and it looks like the reinforcement option is the difference. Was something changed afterward?

No, it was always "no reinforcements". You only played 3 games and even though you won 2, you would still have 0 points. The scoreboard doesn't really differentiate players with 0 points so if there are more than a 100 people on the scoreboard, you may not show up.
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby chapcrap on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:41 pm

groovysmurf wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I was on the scoreboard for this previously and now I’m not. I looked and it looks like the reinforcement option is the difference. Was something changed afterward?

No, it was always "no reinforcements". You only played 3 games and even though you won 2, you would still have 0 points. The scoreboard doesn't really differentiate players with 0 points so if there are more than a 100 people on the scoreboard, you may not show up.

I understand that's what it says now, but previously, I was showing up on the scoreboard, which is why I stopped playing the games.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chapcrap
 
Posts: 9676
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 191
Event Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (18) Clan Achievement (23) Training Achievement (6)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby IcePack on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:31 pm

At least you didn’t play a bunch that were missing the round limit and therefore didn’t count.

What’s the purpose of round limit, if they have to be started / ended within the timeframe anyway? Doesn’t seem like that makes sense.
Image
RISE a winner, FALL asleep a Champion.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class IcePack
 
Posts: 13976
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 166
Event Silver (1) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (38)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (4) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (13) General Contribution (26)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 pm

chapcrap wrote:
groovysmurf wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I was on the scoreboard for this previously and now I’m not. I looked and it looks like the reinforcement option is the difference. Was something changed afterward?

No, it was always "no reinforcements". You only played 3 games and even though you won 2, you would still have 0 points. The scoreboard doesn't really differentiate players with 0 points so if there are more than a 100 people on the scoreboard, you may not show up.

I understand that's what it says now, but previously, I was showing up on the scoreboard, which is why I stopped playing the games.

You are on the scoreboard, but you didn't reach the minimum to qualify, so you're at 0 points. Unless I'm misundertanding the question here.

IcePack wrote:At least you didn’t play a bunch that were missing the round limit and therefore didn’t count.

What’s the purpose of round limit, if they have to be started / ended within the timeframe anyway? Doesn’t seem like that makes sense.

There are usually a few games that don't finish within the time limit, but usually only a few. Without the round limit, there would be many more. We can't completely eliminate games that don't finish, but keeping it down from "many" to "a few" is a valid gain.
Image
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 22412
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 235
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Event Gold (2) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (26)
Clan Achievement (30) Training Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (32) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (21)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:At least you didn’t play a bunch that were missing the round limit and therefore didn’t count.

What’s the purpose of round limit, if they have to be started / ended within the timeframe anyway? Doesn’t seem like that makes sense.

There are usually a few games that don't finish within the time limit, but usually only a few. Without the round limit, there would be many more. We can't completely eliminate games that don't finish, but keeping it down from "many" to "a few" is a valid gain.


How does round limits keep it from going over the time frame? the games last as long as they last. Only the ones that finish within the allotted time get counted regardless.
I feel like for alienating games that accidentally get the wrong settings (which would likely finish in the time frame), do the benefits of finishing a few games early (which likely would be within the timeframe even if they didn't have round limits) outweigh the issue of less games actually counting for the event?

Example, I looked all 217 games that finished for this event. 14 games went to round limit (most of those were set to 20).
8 games were mistakenly created without round limits and played for no reason. (nearly as many as went to round limit!) and none of those went to round limits.
Looking at the games, there was really only ONE game that risked NOT counting for this event if there wasn't a round limit

https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=18822262

So, one game POTENTIALLY wouldn't have counted for this event - but EIGHT GAMES for sure didn't count because of it. And the one that potentially wouldn't have counted, potentially could still have counted, because they could have adjusted their play the last 48 hours to make sure it fit within the window.

It seems a pretty small detail that has almost no impact on the event, yet frustrates and discourages people who think they are playing the event but aren't, and dont even realize it in time.
Now understandably, they could be more careful in creating the games. But again, if youre goal is to minimize from "many" to a "few", then your actually hurting "many" and only assisting a "few" which is the opposite here. And the assertion that there would be "many more" that didn't meet the time limits in this case doesn't check out either.
Image
RISE a winner, FALL asleep a Champion.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class IcePack
 
Posts: 13976
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 166
Event Silver (1) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (38)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (4) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (13) General Contribution (26)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:11 am

IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:At least you didn’t play a bunch that were missing the round limit and therefore didn’t count.

What’s the purpose of round limit, if they have to be started / ended within the timeframe anyway? Doesn’t seem like that makes sense.

There are usually a few games that don't finish within the time limit, but usually only a few. Without the round limit, there would be many more. We can't completely eliminate games that don't finish, but keeping it down from "many" to "a few" is a valid gain.


How does round limits keep it from going over the time frame? the games last as long as they last. Only the ones that finish within the allotted time get counted regardless.
I feel like for alienating games that accidentally get the wrong settings (which would likely finish in the time frame), do the benefits of finishing a few games early (which likely would be within the timeframe even if they didn't have round limits) outweigh the issue of less games actually counting for the event?

Example, I looked all 217 games that finished for this event. 14 games went to round limit (most of those were set to 20).
8 games were mistakenly created without round limits and played for no reason. (nearly as many as went to round limit!) and none of those went to round limits.
Looking at the games, there was really only ONE game that risked NOT counting for this event if there wasn't a round limit

https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=18822262

So, one game POTENTIALLY wouldn't have counted for this event - but EIGHT GAMES for sure didn't count because of it. And the one that potentially wouldn't have counted, potentially could still have counted, because they could have adjusted their play the last 48 hours to make sure it fit within the window.

It seems a pretty small detail that has almost no impact on the event, yet frustrates and discourages people who think they are playing the event but aren't, and dont even realize it in time.
Now understandably, they could be more careful in creating the games. But again, if youre goal is to minimize from "many" to a "few", then your actually hurting "many" and only assisting a "few" which is the opposite here. And the assertion that there would be "many more" that didn't meet the time limits in this case doesn't check out either.


That may be true this month, when it was escalating or nuclear on a relatively small-ish map. In months where flat rate or no spoils is used, or larger maps, I think you would find the ratio much different.
Image
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator
 
Posts: 22412
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 235
Monthly Leader Silver (1) Event Gold (2) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3)
Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (4) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (26)
Clan Achievement (30) Training Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (32) Tournament Contribution (32) General Contribution (21)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby IcePack on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:At least you didn’t play a bunch that were missing the round limit and therefore didn’t count.

What’s the purpose of round limit, if they have to be started / ended within the timeframe anyway? Doesn’t seem like that makes sense.

There are usually a few games that don't finish within the time limit, but usually only a few. Without the round limit, there would be many more. We can't completely eliminate games that don't finish, but keeping it down from "many" to "a few" is a valid gain.


How does round limits keep it from going over the time frame? the games last as long as they last. Only the ones that finish within the allotted time get counted regardless.
I feel like for alienating games that accidentally get the wrong settings (which would likely finish in the time frame), do the benefits of finishing a few games early (which likely would be within the timeframe even if they didn't have round limits) outweigh the issue of less games actually counting for the event?

Example, I looked all 217 games that finished for this event. 14 games went to round limit (most of those were set to 20).
8 games were mistakenly created without round limits and played for no reason. (nearly as many as went to round limit!) and none of those went to round limits.
Looking at the games, there was really only ONE game that risked NOT counting for this event if there wasn't a round limit

https://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=18822262

So, one game POTENTIALLY wouldn't have counted for this event - but EIGHT GAMES for sure didn't count because of it. And the one that potentially wouldn't have counted, potentially could still have counted, because they could have adjusted their play the last 48 hours to make sure it fit within the window.

It seems a pretty small detail that has almost no impact on the event, yet frustrates and discourages people who think they are playing the event but aren't, and dont even realize it in time.
Now understandably, they could be more careful in creating the games. But again, if youre goal is to minimize from "many" to a "few", then your actually hurting "many" and only assisting a "few" which is the opposite here. And the assertion that there would be "many more" that didn't meet the time limits in this case doesn't check out either.


That may be true this month, when it was escalating or nuclear on a relatively small-ish map. In months where flat rate or no spoils is used, or larger maps, I think you would find the ratio much different.


Have you looked into it at all, or is that just an assumption you’re making?
Even if it’s true, why not remove the restriction then for escalating and nuclear months? If it’s only certain conditions that warrant it, why use it as a blanket rule?
Image
RISE a winner, FALL asleep a Champion.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class IcePack
 
Posts: 13976
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:42 pm
Location: California
Medals: 166
Event Silver (1) Event Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4)
Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (38)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (4) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (13) General Contribution (26)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby chapcrap on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:22 am

Dukasaur wrote:
chapcrap wrote:
groovysmurf wrote:
chapcrap wrote:I was on the scoreboard for this previously and now I’m not. I looked and it looks like the reinforcement option is the difference. Was something changed afterward?

No, it was always "no reinforcements". You only played 3 games and even though you won 2, you would still have 0 points. The scoreboard doesn't really differentiate players with 0 points so if there are more than a 100 people on the scoreboard, you may not show up.

I understand that's what it says now, but previously, I was showing up on the scoreboard, which is why I stopped playing the games.

You are on the scoreboard, but you didn't reach the minimum to qualify, so you're at 0 points. Unless I'm misundertanding the question here.

I'm saying that I was on the scoreboard with 33. I'm not super worried about the medal (although I will literally die if I don't get it). I just thought there was a bug or a change. I know it's rare to find bugs on this site...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class chapcrap
 
Posts: 9676
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:46 am
Location: Kansas City
Medals: 191
Event Silver (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (31) General Achievement (18) Clan Achievement (23) Training Achievement (6)
Challenge Achievement (5) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:22 pm

IcePack wrote:Have you looked into it at all, or is that just an assumption you’re making?
Even if it’s true, why not remove the restriction then for escalating and nuclear months? If it’s only certain conditions that warrant it, why use it as a blanket rule?

Though having a round limit isn't necessary for many months, I believe it would be more confusing to switch back and forth. Having a round limit really doesn't affect these games, but it does differentiate them a bit and helps to ensure they finish on time.

chapcrap wrote:I'm saying that I was on the scoreboard with 33. I'm not super worried about the medal (although I will literally die if I don't get it). I just thought there was a bug or a change. I know it's rare to find bugs on this site...

I am not quite sure why you would have shown up on the scoreboard. I'm sorry, but it must have been a glitch as you didn't play enough games to qualify even.
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)

Re: January 2019 Monthly Challenge - Alcatraz

Postby groovysmurf on Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:23 pm

All medals and awards have been issued. Thanks to all who played. I will wait a couple days to lock this in case there are any other comments.
User avatar
Major groovysmurf
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH
Medals: 75
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (5) Challenge Achievement (8) Tribe Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (8)


Return to Monthly Challenges

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users