Conquer Club

Group / Clan question

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Group / Clan question

Postby KoolBak on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:35 am

So noticed there are tons (hundred plus?) of these that have been made. Our group, xigames, was one of the first here. We have our private forum, etc, but I recall some time ago, the private forums were being taken away / deleted if they were low use.

How many of these clans and groups are actually active? I recall years ago it seemed a clan a day was starting, all claiming to be the best....

Just curious what's still out there and how much space / processing power all that shit takes up in the CC world....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Re: Group / Clan question

Postby IcePack on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 pm

All of them must be active every 30 days or it’s deleted. There’s 1/2 as many clans as there was a few years ago (25-30 now).

Activity requirements are the same for social usergroups. Tho it’s not much processing power etc to have forum areas

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby TeeGee on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:51 pm

IcePack wrote:All of them must be active every 30 days or it’s deleted.

We are a lot more relaxed than we used to be on the 30 day rule.. some social groups have had no activity for nearly 12 months and still exist.
Even under the old system clans/social groups were not deleted after 30 days but given a 30 day warning to become active or be closed.
If we were to close a group today i am sure we would still give a 30 day activity warning for the group to become active
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby 2dimes on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm

It sucked when they tore down the stache shack. )-:
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:22 am

interesting. Thanks for that info guys :D

Guess I saw more than what's there when I scrolled through.

AND:

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 am

KoolBak wrote:interesting. Thanks for that info guys :D

Guess I saw more than what's there when I scrolled through.

You piqued my curiosity, so I went and counted. 140. That's everything together: Clans/Tribes/Social Usergroups/Official Teams/Academy Classrooms, etc.

A lot of them are inactive and could get deleted. I guess with the site not as busy as it once was, there isn't as much pressure to free up resources.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am

Whew. Rare I get to feel less dumb :lol:

AND:

Postby iAmCaffeine on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Forums require almost no kind of space or processing power. No need to worry.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:43 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Forums require almost no kind of space or processing power. No need to worry.

Actually that's not true. Heavy load from the forums is the reason we were always told to be strict with deleting unused usergroups before. Every time you enter the forums, before you can see the list, the server has to go through the database of fora, check each one and see if you have permission to see it or not. It's a linear problem -- checking 200 fora takes twice as long as checking 100.

The server has to do this for everyone. Doesn't matter if you're a vanilla user that isn't a member of anything or someone who's in 100 different usergroups. The server still has to go through each one and check.

Also, the information isn't persistent. The check has to be done every time you move to a new forum.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Caymanmew on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:13 am

Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Forums require almost no kind of space or processing power. No need to worry.

Actually that's not true. Heavy load from the forums is the reason we were always told to be strict with deleting unused usergroups before. Every time you enter the forums, before you can see the list, the server has to go through the database of fora, check each one and see if you have permission to see it or not. It's a linear problem -- checking 200 fora takes twice as long as checking 100.

The server has to do this for everyone. Doesn't matter if you're a vanilla user that isn't a member of anything or someone who's in 100 different usergroups. The server still has to go through each one and check.

Also, the information isn't persistent. The check has to be done every time you move to a new forum.

Can't say i am an except in anything programming wise or anything but wouldn't it be easier if it checked the user for what forums it has access to rather then checking the forums to see if the user has access? That way your not checking each forum for permission?
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby TeeGee on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:20 am

Caymanmew wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Can't say i am an except in anything programming wise or anything but wouldn't it be easier if it checked the user for what forums it has access to rather then checking the forums to see if the user has access? That way your not checking each forum for permission?

Blame the software developer.. CC is just an end user
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:02 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

The only reason that would ever be a problem is if the server is absolute dog shit. A forum should not be a burden whatsoever and if you're told it is, either that person is an idiot who shouldn't be in a position to tell you that, or the server is abysmal. Or, more likely, both.

Oh and as for TeeGee's comment, php forums haven't been good for a long time. Should've changed or upgrade but I imagine the way this site has been built might make that difficult. Hard to say without knowing more but (correct me if I'm wrong) from my understanding, lack coded a lot of this site himself and so making major changes to it wouldn't be very easy for anyone but him.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby TeeGee on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:08 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

The only reason that would ever be a problem is if the server is absolute dog shit. A forum should not be a burden whatsoever and if you're told it is, either that person is an idiot who shouldn't be in a position to tell you that, or the server is abysmal. Or, more likely, both.

Oh and as for TeeGee's comment, php forums haven't been good for a long time. Should've changed or upgrade but I imagine the way this site has been built might make that difficult. Hard to say without knowing more but (correct me if I'm wrong) from my understanding, lack coded a lot of this site himself and so making major changes to it wouldn't be very easy for anyone but him.

I don't think even Lack could fix it after he let the $5 a week Indonesian programming team free to meddle with the programming. I remember wasting countless hours with them fixing bugs they released live instead of testing on beta. I was surprised they lasted as long as they did, but the overall mess they left in the short time they had access is still being cleaned up.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:16 pm

TeeGee wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

I don't think even Lack could fix it after he let the $5 a week Indonesian programming team free to meddle with the programming. I remember wasting countless hours with them fixing bugs they released live instead of testing on beta. I was surprised they lasted as long as they did, but the overall mess they left in the short time they had access is still being cleaned up.

yikes lol
Cook iAmCaffeine

Return to Conquer Club Discussion