Conquer Club

[Official] Canada REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby hulmey on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:40 pm

I think we have taken a set back wards rather than step forwards with this horrid map. sorry Wm bu ttim a honest guy. The current canada map is much better!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:00 pm

hulmey wrote:I think we have taken a set back wards rather than step forwards with this horrid map. sorry Wm bu ttim a honest guy. The current canada map is much better!!!
I would rather you be honest then a suck up. I am glad you will tell it like it is.

I agree this map is very different. That was what I was going for.
Major WidowMakers

Postby edbeard on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:12 pm

could you put it on random instead of 88? I'd like to see how it looks with more realistic numbers over the circles.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby mibi on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:41 pm

yeah that map isnt really top notch WM or anything.

some issues being the blurryiness of the earth, a super fined photo or render would be much better. The territory type, legend, army circles and yellow connectors are all sub par.

The title treatment however is first rate, well done.
Captain mibi

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:36 am

Dude, I can't read the numbers on your map.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 am

gimil wrote:Dont worry guys ill beat Widow Maker this time :lol:

I'm sick of your fucking false promises.

just kidding.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 am

i can only say i'm disappointed. this is probably your ugliest design ever. sorry but that's my opinion. it looks but ugly.

the earth is blurry, the borders aren't true to the image behind them, the title is stupid in it's design, the army circles are horrible and the overall look is very unpleasant and unclear. unfortunatelly this is how the revamping goes and i guess there's nothing that can be done about it. unfortunatelly a poll where people vote on a first impression was decided as the right thing. too bad. from all the revamps done so far the canada revamp meant a lot to me since my very first win was on this map and i was actually planning to play this map once the revamp is over. but i'll never do it again.

congrats on winning hopefully some people are happy because so far i see lots of disappointed people.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby nagerous on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:13 am

you've got quebec and ontario the wrong way round.
Captain nagerous

Postby Skittles! on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:24 am

nagerous wrote:you've got quebec and ontario the wrong way round.

I think they've already established that fact and WM is currently going to switch that around.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby WidowMakers on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:42 am

nagerous wrote:you've got quebec and ontario the wrong way round.
I know. Maritimes and B.C. are also switched.

This map looks ugly, it is a step backward, I don't like it, etc, etc
I know the above quote is not really a quote but you get the idea. I can see many people are not happy with the style of map I made. My intention was not to try and ruin the map. I too really like the Canada map gameplay (probably not as much as DiM). When the revamp started I wanted to try and make something different that had never been seen or done before. That is why I chose the earth, space, sun and moon. Plus this is probably the map I have spent the least amount of time on. I rushed at the end and I knew that if I won the community would tear me a new one on how "bad" it looked.

Based on this style the map is a darker map. I wanted to go for a satellite style picture map.
DiM wrote:the earth is blurry, the borders aren't true to the image behind them, the title is stupid in it's design, the army circles are horrible and the overall look is very unpleasant and unclear
I understand what you mean about the earth and army circles.

I don't understand your issue with the borders. I took the current Canada map and overladed it on the globe. Some of the borders changed (NOT XML borders just graphical borders) because the current map was wrong. Such as the location of the mountains int he west.

mibi wrote:The title treatment however is first rate, well done.

Some people love the title and some hate it.

DiM wrote:i can only say i'm disappointed. this is probably your ugliest design ever. sorry but that's my opinion. it looks but ugly.

mibi wrote:yeah that map isnt really top notch WM or anything.

Well I was bound to make someone unhappy eventually. I have made or revamped 7 different maps. Circus Maximus(RV), Great Lakes, Indochina(RV), King Of The Mountains, Montreal(RV), Rail USA, 8 Thoughts and now Canada(currently being revamped).

Each map has a different and unique style. I have tried to not fall into the mold of one man, one map style.

So to my critics who say this map is bad, what could I do to make it better and still keep this style? There have already been some suggestions and I will work on those. As both DiM and mibi know, when you set out to break the rules (graphics, size, XML) you are going to make people mad. I set out to make this map different in every way than the original. I know we have a long way to go (no 32 minute quench here, huh DiM?) I just wanted everyone to know I will do my best and appreciate the support both positive and negative.
Major WidowMakers

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:18 am

WM...congratulations on another Revamp. I'm sure you'll take this map somewhere special like all your others.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby oaktown on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:10 am

there are some differences in the large and small maps, such as the color and glare of the sun... is this intentional?

And I know this is a geeky complaint, but the face of the moon facing the image's point of view wouldn't be full given its position relative to the sun. Feel free to tell me to shove it on this one, wid.
Captain oaktown

Postby mibi on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:11 am

i like the concept, it just needs to be crisper, oh and keep the title.
Captain mibi

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:19 am

Coleman wrote:
Gilligan wrote:I was really hoping for D.

I was as well, but our final decision was not to do a revote or anything of that nature. I am confident WidowMakers can transform his version into something we all would like.

Eh, I dont know...a lot of good space is wasted on making sure it looks planetary. Unnecessary IMHO
Cook unriggable

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:21 am

Good job winning Widow.

nagerous wrote:
you've got quebec and ontario the wrong way round.
I know. Maritimes and B.C. are also switched.

are you planing to fix it?
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby Wisse on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:26 am

Gilligan wrote:I was really hoping for D.

me2, but well i hope windows maker can make a good map out it
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Keredrex

Postby eternal_sunshine on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:24 am

FWIW, I really like your map!

Keredrex wrote:Good job Widow Had a feeling that was yours.... I Still think All submissions should of gotten a second go Based on feedback it might of made the COMPETITION a bit more interesting

Here was My 2nd go after what was said in the posts....

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff11 ... KREXv2.jpg

And I would like to know who made all the maps since the decision has been made Why Not it might help for future collaborations
Corporal 1st Class eternal_sunshine

Postby cena-rules on Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49 am

reverend_kyle wrote:Dude, I can't read the numbers on your map.

then get glasses.

I voted B but this is my second favourite. I dont like the yellow lines too much but other than that I like this.
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Postby MR. Nate on Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:16 pm

WidowMakers wrote: I have tried to not fall into the mold of one man, one map style.

You've succeeded. I would never guess that the same author did both this map and KoTM.

By the way, Screw everyone who doesn't like it. It's your second best map ever. (I am still madly in love w/ Great Lakes)
AAFitz wrote:There will always be cheaters, abusive players, terrible players, and worse. But we have every right to crush them.
MeDeFe wrote:This is a forum on the internet, what do you expect?

End the Flame Wars.
Corporal MR. Nate

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:50 pm

cairnswk wrote:For the record...i voted E.

thanks.. I was wondering who voted it because I didn't.

then get glasses.

if this was quenched right now it would be the hardest map on CC to read the numbers on. I would hate to see it quenched without being able to read the numbers because then i'd never be able to play it.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:28 pm

Keredrex wrote:Good job Widow Had a feeling that was yours.... I Still think All submissions should of gotten a second go Based on feedback it might of made the COMPETITION a bit more interesting

Here was My 2nd go after what was said in the posts....

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff11 ... KREXv2.jpg

And I would like to know who made all the maps since the decision has been made Why Not it might help for future collaborations

http://i1.tinypic.com/5ywic2c.jpg

this was mine based on input.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby DiM on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:32 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
This map looks ugly, it is a step backward, I don't like it, etc, etc
I know the above quote is not really a quote but you get the idea. I can see many people are not happy with the style of map I made. My intention was not to try and ruin the map. I too really like the Canada map gameplay (probably not as much as DiM). When the revamp started I wanted to try and make something different that had never been seen or done before. That is why I chose the earth, space, sun and moon. Plus this is probably the map I have spent the least amount of time on. I rushed at the end and I knew that if I won the community would tear me a new one on how "bad" it looked.

Based on this style the map is a darker map. I wanted to go for a satellite style picture map.

never seen or done before is not exactly how i'd say it. satelite image with color overlays has been done in san francisco map and has also been attempted in other maps that got abandoned.
as for the fact you spent little time, well, this type o design actually requires little time. all you had to do is draw the borders and add a fill. the hard part is done by the background image. i don't like this style, never liked it in san francisco and will never like it here. to me it looks like something from landgrab or lux delux. they take all sorts of images and draw overlays o transparent coloring. in my opinion this is a style that requires little work and skill and it isn't something a map should look like. if i remember corectly the author of plasagna map did something along these lines (with overlays) of course in a much crappier way but still it gives an idea on the design.

WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:the earth is blurry, the borders aren't true to the image behind them, the title is stupid in it's design, the army circles are horrible and the overall look is very unpleasant and unclear
I understand what you mean about the earth and army circles.

I don't understand your issue with the borders. I took the current Canada map and overladed it on the globe. Some of the borders changed (NOT XML borders just graphical borders) because the current map was wrong. Such as the location of the mountains int he west.

the borders you drew don't correspond with the borders on the satellite image. if you look closely the borders don't follow the landscape in some areas.

WidowMakers wrote:
mibi wrote:The title treatment however is first rate, well done.

Some people love the title and some hate it.

i don't hate it i would actually like it a lot. i just find it stupid since there's only one maple leaf in the title replacing an A why are the other 2 As not replaced? usually when you do a replacement like that you do it on all the letters that are the same.

WidowMakers wrote:
DiM wrote:i can only say i'm disappointed. this is probably your ugliest design ever. sorry but that's my opinion. it looks butt ugly.

mibi wrote:yeah that map isnt really top notch WM or anything.

Well I was bound to make someone unhappy eventually. I have made or revamped 7 different maps. Circus Maximus(RV), Great Lakes, Indochina(RV), King Of The Mountains, Montreal(RV), Rail USA, 8 Thoughts and now Canada(currently being revamped).

Each map has a different and unique style. I have tried to not fall into the mold of one man, one map style.

So to my critics who say this map is bad, what could I do to make it better and still keep this style? There have already been some suggestions and I will work on those. As both DiM and mibi know, when you set out to break the rules (graphics, size, XML) you are going to make people mad. I set out to make this map different in every way than the original. I know we have a long way to go (no 32 minute quench here, huh DiM?) I just wanted everyone to know I will do my best and appreciate the support both positive and negative.

make it better and keep the style? in my opinion whatever you do will not improve it because as i said the style is crap.

but if you still want to keep it then make the image more clear. redraw the borders to follow the exact landscape in the background, move the view to be more top-down rather than this perspective skew. and i guess that's about it.
as i said this style doesn't leave too much to do. it's basically the easiest way to make a map but at the same time the least modifyable. other than colors there's basically no artwork no texture no gradients no fill no nothing. it leaves no room for artistical expression.
compare it to indochina revamp. that map oozes with feeling with art with everything and it's a pleasure to look at it. now move your eyes on this one. no feeling no nothing.

i have only one hope. that no more maps like this are produced. since san francisco was made there have been a few attempts but they all died and i was glad but if this one gets quenched i'm afraid people will start taking satellite images putting transparent colors and voila we have maps.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby unriggable on Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:07 pm

I only have a problem with the map to picture size ratio (how obsenely stupid it is) and the yellow lines that connect the islands.
Cook unriggable

Postby casper on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:14 pm

hulmey wrote:I think we have taken a set back wards rather than step forwards with this horrid map. sorry Wm bu ttim a honest guy. The current canada map is much better!!!

I completely agree. Widowmakers, I dig most of your maps. But this one...I can't really find anything positive to say except the font is nice.

Also something to ponder...by replacing all these maps with new versions we are also losing a bit of Conquer Club history in the process. That being said, the ones that have been revamped so far desperately needed it. I just don't think that is the case here. Think of the original Canada map as an old historic house. It might not have all the amenities of today's maps but it does have a certain charm which is completely lost in this new map.

Hulmey, we can start the CC Map Preservationist Society.
Major casper

Postby Keredrex on Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:21 pm

reverend_kyle wrote:http://i1.tinypic.com/5ywic2c.jpg

this was mine based on input.

Better...And a lot easier to read.. Too bad though I wonder what everyones including Widows would of looked like after a final run... It would of been nice to see each of the maps potential
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas