Conquer Club

Midkemdil [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:32 am

ya sorry I forgot to quote your ideas in my previous post :wink:

the text midkemia is nearly impossible to read, i shouldn't put it in italic if i where you

fixed, maybe I'd change the colour..I think it's the colour that makes it difficult to read

the text "attack routes, no ....." is pixely and not easy to read, maybe it would be all fixed if the background isn't transparant?

changed background, changed font and changed colour.

the letter N (from north) and created by Gnome is a bit to much blurry i think

the N can be changed but when I change the created by Gnome it will become invisible on the white background from the mountain, I'll see what I can do :)

the colours in the legend are a bit to flashy, maybe tone down them but not to much so you can see which bonus area they present?

I toned them down...

Actually I did see your post...But you didn't see the changes?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Wisse on Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:21 pm

all nice, sorry i only did take a quick look (to the n and the title, but its good now ;) )
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Keredrex on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 pm

Think you should change the font .. Version 6 reads better.... The Font is nice but it needs to read well while you play a game for any number of hours
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:19 pm

sorry if its been pointed out already, but the eastern and western kingdoms are the wrong way round. apart from that one minor detail i quite like it
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Gypsys Kiss wrote:sorry if its been pointed out already, but the eastern and western kingdoms are the wrong way round. apart from that one minor detail i quite like it

lol I've never noticed it before...you are right, I made a mistake there

THX :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Keredrex wrote:Think you should change the font .. Version 6 reads better.... The Font is nice but it needs to read well while you play a game for any number of hours

ya that's true but it fits better in the map...I think it's not that difficult to read it....you still have the attack names in a normal font when you take a turn. The names are all diffrent so I think you wont miss...
Maybe I'll make a vote on the fonts later when map is ok.
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby cairnswk on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:19 am

Version 7.

gnome....i am liking this progress, especially with the new font and the fix on those blurry legend names and colours that i mentioned before.

Keep up the good work, and yes do experiment with the fonts if you find some thing that appeals to everyone. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:24 am

Hi Gnome, im likeing where this ma is going. Its a new style which i feel wil be succesful.

A few concerns of mine:

1. The stroke around your terr names is to strong i feel. could you possible make it a little more transparent. This will stop terr names being so eye catching and let people enjoy the beautiful graphics you have.

2. The colors for middle kingdom and north kesh, could one of them be changed or swapped with another color at the moment theres rather similar and being next o rach other could casue ingame confusion.

3. The outer boarder of the whole map is to thick to me. Could you move the compass and the knife in a litle and maybe reduce the size a little?

4. i think the title needs to be a little clearer and bigger. I can read it easily but i think there could be other that couldnt read it so easly.

5. Do you thik you could possible increase the size of the legends a little? jsut so there a little more dominaned and readable.

thats all for now. keep up the ood work gnome :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gnome on Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:23 pm

Version 8.0
details are below

gimil wrote:1. The stroke around your terr names is to strong i feel. could you possible make it a little more transparent. This will stop terr names being so eye catching and let people enjoy the beautiful graphics you have.

I reduced the glow...don't know if this looks better...I think names are less readable now...I'll try some other method...but I've no time now...

2. The colors for middle kingdom and north kesh, could one of them be changed or swapped with another color at the moment theres rather similar and being next o rach other could casue ingame confusion.

I changed teal into orange, but I'll change it back into teal, I think teal is a beautiful colour and you have to be stupid to think that teal and dark blue are the same...it's in the legend...

3. The outer boarder of the whole map is to thick to me. Could you move the compass and the knife in a little and maybe reduce the size a little?

4. i think the title needs to be a little clearer and bigger. I can read it easily but i think there could be other that couldn't read it so easily.

5. Do you think you could possible increase the size of the legends a little? just so there a little more dominated and readable.

I reduced the upper border and made the title and the legend bigger
the title is also made easier to read
I'll see what I can do about the right border...but now it's 800px that's a nice round number:wink:
but you are right...the right border is too thick (I'll fix it tomorrow)

that's all for now. keep up the good work gnome :D

Thx man :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby insomniacdude on Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:53 pm

I might try to not make the backdrop around Harlech so bright. The army shadow is almost indistinguishable. I know in play the numbers actually on there are going to help set it out, but army colors themselves might blend in pretty easily. Neutral and yellow might be hard to distinguish for some people.

I'd also have to agree with you on teal vs orange. The teal looks better and if you confuse the dark blue and the bright teal, part of me might die inside. Besides, now in the legend the orange and the yellow of North Kesh are easier to confuse then the blue and teal that the map used to have.

Otherwise a pretty solid map.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby Gnome on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:03 pm

Version 9.0

I might try to not make the backdrop around Harlech so bright. The army shadow is almost indistinguishable. I know in play the numbers actually on there are going to help set it out, but army colors themselves might blend in pretty easily. Neutral and yellow might be hard to distinguish for some people.

well hope you like it now...and rest of the people:wink:
I think now it looks not transparent...but it is...I can't reduce it anymore, that's why I left it so bright, I don't think the army colours will be a problem, I tried it...

I'd also have to agree with you on teal vs orange. The teal looks better and if you confuse the dark blue and the bright teal, part of me might die inside. Besides, now in the legend the orange and the yellow of North Kesh are easier to confuse then the blue and teal that the map used to have.

I changed teal back...and I swapped green and blue, green fit's way better in middle kingdom, 'Sorceror's Isle' is visible now :wink:

3. The outer boarder of the whole map is to thick to me. Could you move the compass and the knife in a little and maybe reduce the size a little?

better like this? I forgot to remove the white border but you can see what it will look like...

1. The stroke around your terr names is to strong i feel. could you possible make it a little more transparent. This will stop terr names being so eye catching and let people enjoy the beautiful graphics you have.

I didn't liked the previous change so I tried something else, I think it's better now...

The army circles really pop out, and army circles are so passƩ anyway

I tried a lot of things but they just don't fit in this map...I think I'll just stay with the old fashion army circles, I think they belong in this map...

changes for next version:
'Sorceror's Isle' which should be 'Sorcerer's Isle'
Bonuses are lined up again in the legend
all suggestions that you can give me :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Mr_Niels on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:56 am

i really like the map!
i deffinitly want to play it soon!
nice one dude :)
Major Mr_Niels

Postby Coleman on Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:25 pm

Not sure if this has been said, but the letter 's' (it appears twice) towards the bottom where you explain how places are connected. Well, it looks strange to me. Actually you could/should probably consider changing the font for that section.

I'd type it Attack routes, no territory borders.

There is a stray pixel, maybe two or three that make it look like you wrote it " attack routes, no territory borders' " at least to my eyes.

The only other part I have problems with is the white lines connecting arrows in the water. They look very pixely. Again, maybe it was already brought up. Some of them are great. The one from Timons to Rillenon is wonderful. But Queg to Krandor is not so great.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Gnome on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:31 am

Coleman wrote:Not sure if this has been said, but the letter 's' (it appears twice) towards the bottom where you explain how places are connected. Well, it looks strange to me. Actually you could/should probably consider changing the font for that section.

ya I'm still looking for some great fonts to make the terr names and the gameplay note, I think it's best to make all fonts simular so it doesn't look to chaotic...

I'd type it Attack routes, no territory borders.

I'll take care of this :wink:

There is a stray pixel, maybe two or three that make it look like you wrote it " attack routes, no territory borders' " at least to my eyes.

true, didn't noticed that yet

The only other part I have problems with is the white lines connecting arrows in the water. They look very pixely. Again, maybe it was already brought up. Some of them are great. The one from Timons to Rillenon is wonderful. But Queg to Krandor is not so great.

I was looking for a replacement...the arrows are just standard lines whit an arrow top and back...it's just a basic arrow...But I don't find anything good...any suggestions?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:46 am

i don't see your respons on these 2 questions i asked (if you did sorry then i couldn't find them)
1. why is there no texture in the sea
2. the arrows are not in the same style as the map, can you change them?

also i go another thing for ya,
i don't like the new title it looks to flashy, and all my attention is at it and not at the map
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby Gnome on Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:56 am

Wisse wrote:i don't see your respons on these 2 questions i asked (if you did sorry then i couldn't find them)
1. why is there no texture in the sea

If I make a texture in the sea it will be really chaotic...I'll post you a map with some texture in it, you'll see...

2. the arrows are not in the same style as the map, can you change them?

read my last post:
Gnome wrote:

I was looking for a replacement...the arrows are just standard lines whit an arrow top and back...it's just a basic arrow...But I don't find anything good...any suggestions?

also i go another thing for ya,
i don't like the new title it looks to flashy, and all my attention is at it and not at the map

yup, I'm still not satisfied with all fonts on the map...
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:00 am

ok seems good to me

and about the arrows
look to my china map, then you say how did you make them, well simple
1. pick a pickture of an arrow from internet of from the programm u used (i picked it from photoshop)
fill it with the colour you want, cut the things you don't want off (i cutted the whole righ half off it) then use blending options to make it perfect
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby The1exile on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:12 am

Just want to say I like the way this map is going.
Lieutenant The1exile

Postby Gnome on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:55 am

Version 10.0

details:
-I changed the sea...there was no good texture for it but I like it better now...it's not so 'in your face' anymore...
-Title is made less flashy but still readable
-the Harlech army circle is made more transparent so it fits better in the whole map
-as for the sea routes... :wink: I just faded them, I like the result...but I'm still working on them
-I tried some new fonts...I think I'll make a new Poll and let people vote on what font they like the most
-Gameplay note is adjusted

The1exile wrote:Just want to say I like the way this map is going.

Thx man :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Wisse on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:59 am

i still don't like the arrows but you wrote you are still going to work on them so i will w8 for that

the other updates are good :)
Image Image
Sergeant Wisse

Postby mibi on Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:46 am

the type is less than legible.
Captain mibi

Postby Coleman on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:20 am

Do you have xml done? I don't predict army circles moving or names changing, or the layout changing. I'd say it is about time for that.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Gnome on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:31 pm

all my Xml is done, maybe I need to change some little coords but even my small map's xml is done
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby Gnome on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:32 pm

mibi wrote:the type is less than legible.

Well I already said many times that i'm still looking for a nice font :wink:
I'll make a poll once I have found some options...

Any remarks on the other graphics?
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby The1exile on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:26 am

I like it. The font might need fixing up (I can read it fine) but if you can get that done, you're made.
Lieutenant The1exile

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas