Conquer Club

The Soviet Union [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby pepperonibread on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Alright...
100th reply to this thread! (and update):

Changes:
-Switched colors of continents
-Made "Arctic Islands" separate from other continents
-Changed "Southern Russia" to "Southeast Russia"
-Added translation under Soviet motto
-Made river between Taymyr and Mirny flow into ocean
-Moved a few names and army circles
-Made westernmost river longer
-Speeled "Sevastopel" rite

To do:
-Mountains? I didn't change these, as I've got no idea where to go with them.
-Regarding the motto, I think that it's fine how it is. I'm not trying to say "It's my map, let me do it my way," but I don't see a solid reason to change it. IMO, Stalin best represents the USSR in one aspect, as does "Workers of the World, Unite!" in another.
-
yamahafazer wrote:Cairnswk. Back to Russia as you so requested. Just one Q... are you trying to make us feal 100% dislecsik with thouse fonts???

It's working!
-Comments?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby cairnswk on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:59 pm

Pepperonibread....good image updates....good feedback from punters...good gameplay intereaction and details....a well deserved....

Move into the Foundry
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:51 am

I like this map...I'm searching for good comment but I don't really find things that bothers me...
Only some names that can be moved inside there own territory...like Moscow that hits two borders while it can be fitted better...Also Komi can be moved a bit down so the I doesn't touch the upper border...Maybe there are some others...
It's just a detail...maybe other people don't think it had to be moved...I just wrote this because I don't find anything else to critic on :wink:

Question: on the mountain border perm-Khanty Mansi, there is a blue line or something...Is it supposed to be a river or is it a crossable way? or a mistake?

Good work, I like it :!:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:26 am

Gnome wrote:I like this map...I'm searching for good comment but I don't really find things that bothers me...
Only some names that can be moved inside there own territory...like Moscow that hits two borders while it can be fitted better...Also Komi can be moved a bit down so the I doesn't touch the upper border...Maybe there are some others...
It's just a detail...maybe other people don't think it had to be moved...I just wrote this because I don't find anything else to critic on :wink:

Question: on the mountain border perm-Khanty Mansi, there is a blue line or something...Is it supposed to be a river or is it a crossable way? or a mistake?

Good work, I like it :!:

The little greenish-blueish line is just an artifact of the texture. I'll fix it.
I'll move the names, too.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby spinwizard on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:45 am

I don't think the mountains realy fit the theme... :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Gnome on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 am

spinwizard wrote:I don't think the mountains realy fit the theme... :)

I don't really agree with this...I do like the mountains in this theme :wink:
Sergeant 1st Class Gnome

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:54 am

love this map so far. just one niggling matter - can it be "workers of the world unite - you have nothing to lose but your chains"

and can you pepper it with random chapter headings from das kapital, because some of them are really cool!

the strife between workman and machine

the fetishism of commodities and the secret thereof

the secret of primitive accumulation

?

not that im suggesting soviet russia was in any sense marxist (it wasnt) but hey. really nice map. i cant remember from memory if Ulyanovsk is on it but if so ulyanovsk can be +1 because of the historical importance to the soviet state. check up check up x
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby spinwizard on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:01 am

Gnome wrote:
spinwizard wrote:I don't think the mountains realy fit the theme... :)

I don't really agree with this...I do like the mountains in this theme :wink:

meh! :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:14 am

quenchy quench quenchity
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:15 am

khazalid wrote:love this map so far. just one niggling matter - can it be "workers of the world unite - you have nothing to lose but your chains"

and can you pepper it with random chapter headings from das kapital, because some of them are really cool!

the strife between workman and machine

the fetishism of commodities and the secret thereof

the secret of primitive accumulation

?

not that im suggesting soviet russia was in any sense marxist (it wasnt) but hey. really nice map. i cant remember from memory if Ulyanovsk is on it but if so ulyanovsk can be +1 because of the historical importance to the soviet state. check up check up x

Thanks! I'll be sure to check on that. At least by Wikipedia, "Proletarians of all countries, unite!" is more accurate, but I agree that "Workers of the World, Unite!" does sound cooler; I may change that. Also, I don't think Ulyanovsk is on their, but I'm thinking about adding a +1 bonus for Moscow (for obvious reasons).
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby militant on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:22 am

pepperonibread wrote:
Thanks! I'll be sure to check on that. At least by Wikipedia, "Proletarians of all countries, unite!" is more accurate, but I agree that "Workers of the World, Unite!" does sound cooler; I may change that. Also, I don't think Ulyanovsk is on their, but I'm thinking about adding a +1 bonus for Moscow (for obvious reasons).

I really dislike maps where there is a small bonus because say for example i was in a 1vs1 and my opponent started with that although its only one army it is a big advantage over time, i dont think you should add it.
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:27 am

workers of the world is just a different translation, go with whichever takes your fancy skip.

'the ultimate aim of this map is to lay bare the economic law of motion of modern society' is also a nice distortion. i think that was marx himself, obviously with 'map' replaced by 'work'

anyway, 10/10. concept is excellent, graphics are excellent, playability looks to be excellent
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:34 am

militant wrote:
pepperonibread wrote:

I really dislike maps where there is a small bonus because say for example i was in a 1vs1 and my opponent started with that although its only one army it is a big advantage over time, i dont think you should add it.

What I meant to say is that it would give a +1 bonus, but the XML would be coded so that it would always start neutral, like the stars in WWII Eastern Front.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby asl80 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 am

pepperonibread wrote:
khazalid wrote:love this map so far. just one niggling matter - can it be "workers of the world unite - you have nothing to lose but your chains"

not that im suggesting soviet russia was in any sense marxist (it wasnt) but hey. really nice map.

Thanks! I'll be sure to check on that. At least by Wikipedia, "Proletarians of all countries, unite!" is more accurate, but I agree that "Workers of the World, Unite!" does sound cooler; I may change that.

I agree - A much better phrase in english (and hey, why can't a translation be a little liberal to give it force in the new language, as i'm sure it did in the original language {Was Marx writing in german or english at that stage anyway?})

P.S. And just as an aside, the updated and contempoary slogan is;
"Workers of the world unite! You've got nothing to lose but your chains ... your morgage, two cars, dvd player and consumerist convenience!"
Lieutenant asl80

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:40 am

marx hardly ever wrote anything. engels wrote the original in german i think
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:42 am

haha yes. nice addendum.

you ever stumble across pierre bourdieu, social/cultural capital and such?
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby asl80 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:46 am

no no, point me in the direction of some ...
or a little taste here?

[ooo, actually, after a quick wiki search - i do remember coming across some of his field-habitus stuff - a little vague on it though]
Lieutenant asl80

Postby khazalid on Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:59 am

just on the materialism bit.. slightly relevant but not entirely so...

anyway, moving swiftly on. this map rox ur sox
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby MasterKujacnbsh on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:43 am

I dont like the color of Far East. I looks unplayable.
Private MasterKujacnbsh

Location: In a land of magical unicorns and rapists who rip your eyes out and then like eat them and stuff....

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm

Glad to see that this map is moving along. So many people tried to work a Russia map...and the answer all along was the Soviet Union. :)

Into the map now...is the route between Caucasus and Turk. to increase movement around the map? I almost think European Russia could benefit from losing that border, but that is up for debate.

The Artic Islands work well as a highway around the map, though watch the length of the names. I'd look into perhaps shortened or abbreviated names for them...or at least the Novo. one.

The current layout with the names can be somewhat confusing. I think some areas you might have to move the names around. For instance, take a look at Aktobe/Orenburg. On first glance it's difficult to exactly tell which name goes where. Perhaps if you moved orenburg to left side of the shadow, and nudged stalingrad left also? Might be a few others to play around with.

I'd almost consider adding a route from Chukotka to Novo Island...to increase movement in this area...I'm just thinking as I'm typing so bare with me. In the west of the map, is a larger number of attack routes, but in the east they are more sparse. Consider the great defense of Mirny and Irkutsk...two countries that can seperate the map. The west don't have an parallel. So really perhaps adding the route wouldn't do much...but I'd look into the "West" vs "East" scenario. (Ironic that I'm talking about West vs East in regards to a Soviet Union map. :))

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby pepperonibread on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:28 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Glad to see that this map is moving along. So many people tried to work a Russia map...and the answer all along was the Soviet Union. :)

Into the map now...is the route between Caucasus and Turk. to increase movement around the map? I almost think European Russia could benefit from losing that border, but that is up for debate.

The Artic Islands work well as a highway around the map, though watch the length of the names. I'd look into perhaps shortened or abbreviated names for them...or at least the Novo. one.

The current layout with the names can be somewhat confusing. I think some areas you might have to move the names around. For instance, take a look at Aktobe/Orenburg. On first glance it's difficult to exactly tell which name goes where. Perhaps if you moved orenburg to left side of the shadow, and nudged stalingrad left also? Might be a few others to play around with.

I'd almost consider adding a route from Chukotka to Novo Island...to increase movement in this area...I'm just thinking as I'm typing so bare with me. In the west of the map, is a larger number of attack routes, but in the east they are more sparse. Consider the great defense of Mirny and Irkutsk...two countries that can seperate the map. The west don't have an parallel. So really perhaps adding the route wouldn't do much...but I'd look into the "West" vs "East" scenario. (Ironic that I'm talking about West vs East in regards to a Soviet Union map. :))

--Andy

I'll color-code my responses :D
Blue: I agree with you here, I guess I'll see what others think.
Red: Easily fixed.
Green: I'll be moving these around, especially once I start working on the small map.
Pink: I'm not so sure about this (up for debate as well)
Orange: Really, you also need an island to secure your borders, but I see your point. I'll see if I can go anywhere with this "West vs. East" idea.
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Elijah S on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:14 pm

I really like this map and am looking forward to playing it!

The Stalin, icons, and font are appealing and seem to capture a real Soviet Era feel.

WTG!
Sergeant 1st Class Elijah S

Postby flyingdics on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:58 pm

The Russian at the top has a typo. The final letter "B" should be a "b". They are completely different letters. Great map!
Cook flyingdics

Postby amazzony on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:00 pm

I really like this map (though I despise Soviet Union). And though it was an era between Russian Empire and Russian Empire then it shouldn't be called Russia because it was completely different. But that to that.

What's bothering me a bit is the text. I mean, actually one letter to be more exact :P Letter "R". When you turn it around like it's done in this map then it's absolutely different letter in Russian. But I guess it's a really tiny thing so not important.

And there was mentioned the mountains - they are perfect. They are exactly where they should be - Urals - the border that in different contexts is considered as the border between Asia and Europe.

Quibbler amazzony
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:19 pm

flyingdics wrote:The Russian at the top has a typo. The final letter "B" should be a "b". They are completely different letters. Great map!

Alright, I'm confused. Does anybody have the motto in capital letters, like I have now?
Corporal pepperonibread

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas