Conquer Club

Issue 6: 28/01/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Tue May 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Editor’s Note

I hope everyone is playing in some fun tournaments this week. Take some time to browse this week’s issue for some new tournaments, and to see what is happening in some active ones.

Enjoy!
Gozar

Index

News
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with Steelhorse
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

News
Have a comment on any news item? Send in your letters to Gozar.

Staff Positions
The Conquer Club newsletter is now hiring for the position of Distributor. If you are willing to assist me in sending out the newsletter every week, please PM me, stating your interest.

Newsletter Poll
I will be running a weekly poll in the Suggestion Thread in the Q&A subforum. Stop in to vote! Not enough people voted last week, so I will leave last week’s poll running: “What tournament style do you enjoy most?”

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Kill or Be Killed
Organiser:Natewolfman

CC AFL League
Organiser:TheScarecrow

Doubles Trip Through Time
Organiser:Physics=2muchFD

Monopoly $$$ “Income Tax Refund: Collect $20”
Organiser:simor

The 2-8 League
Organiser:pjdonald

For Greater Glory
Organiser:Sir. Ricco

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread.

The Player’s Tournament
Organiser:Godd
Round two is now underway.

”You’re Eliminated” V
Organiser:Godd
This one has just begun and has twice the eliminations of previous “You’re Eliminated” tournaments.

Cairns Coral Coast Masters:
Organisers: Optimus Prime/ Gozar
Four divisions compete for premium membership, on maps designed by the tournament’s sponser, cairnswk.
Division One
Finals are now taking place.
Division Two
Division Three
Last round three game is now running.
Division Four
Still two finalists remain to be determined.

The World Leader's Assassin Tournament
Organisers: Gozar
Day Two of the World Leaders Conference is well underway. It is clear something is amiss, as leaders are vanishing by the handful.

The Long Walk
This elimination round has come down to the final game.

Battle Europe
The third installment of Gozar’s “Battle” series. Some round three games have now begun.

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Series Tournament from soundout9
Tournament Idea: New series tournament! For anyone who can win constantly.
Look for it: The first month I will start is probably February

The Mod Wars from Night Strike
Look for it: Middle or end of January

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”Battle For Middle Earth”-negoeien
”You’re Eliminated” IV”-JeF
”Lancey’s FA Cup Knockout Tourney”-fireearth
”LOST:Where are you?”-Shadowstar
”World War II: The Fight For Europe”-Dexterdexter
”Point Grabbers VI”- pogophiles
”Battle of Emoticons”- amazzony
“Bring It On!!!”: Session 1 Maps- BaldAdonis
”Bring It On!!!”: Session 1 Points- Clive
”3456 League”- dcc1220
”Assassin Fog of War”- Bad Speler
”4 Man Madness”-freyme

Interview with Steelhorse
Our latest installment of interviews brings us some information about Steelhorse All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with MarVal. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with Gozar. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, Steelhorse.

A: Hi, Goze. Nice to be here.

Q: What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: I've always loved games of any kind and tournaments are just games within a game. So, when I was offered the opportunity to help CC out with running the Tournaments area, it was a no-brainer for me.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran and first played in.

A: The first, and only, tournament I've run was the Satellite for the 19th Annual Risk Tournament of Champions, in Jim Thorpe, PA., last year. The prize was one seat in the tournament. I was still relatively new to the site, so I was nervous. I didn't want to screw it up and look stupid in front of half a million people. But, I had some friends help me out with the technical stuff, and it all worked out. I'd like to run more, but time is limited and alot of my time on Conquer Club is dedicated to TD and Mod duties.

I think the first tourney I played in was "The Big One," in September of '06.

Q: When did you get the job as tournament director?

A: May of '07.

Q: After Optimus Prime got the tournament director job, did your work load got heavier, lighter or didn't change (for example, requests for tournament privileges)?

A: Hmmm...both :lol: When I first started as a TD, Ak_Iceman needed a much deserved break. So, he trained me on the technical stuff and "how to's", and from there I was pretty much on my own. I was really the only active TD for a while. Then my buddy Optimus Prime came along, who I trained, just as I was. On one hand my load got much lighter as he dove head-first right into the job and he was very familiar with the Tourney area already. This helped immensely. He was able to share, and assumed most of, the load granting privileges, answering questions, and helping wayward tourney organizers.

On the other hand, he has so much energy, enthusiasm, and great ideas to make the tournament area better, that I had a hard time, and still do, keeping up with him. Sometimes, he's like a jackrabbit on crack!!!

All kidding aside, alot of the new features and additions to the tourney area that you've seen over the last few months were his idea and his hard work. CC is lucky to have such a dedicated and hardworking staff member. He's been a Godsend to me. I'd say I raised him pretty well. :wink:

Q: How much of a hassle is it to deal with that big kid of a robot?

A: Hehe, see above. No hassle at all.

Q: Why haven’t we seen any tournaments from you in a while?

A: Just RL time constraints. My wife and I had our first child back in June and life has been non-stop insanity ever since. He has more energy than Opt.!!! Come to think of it, he is just like Optimus in that respect. Hmmm, makes me wonder...where was Optimus back in September of '05? :shock: If my son ends up being able to morph in to an 18-wheeler, we'll have to have a chat.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: I really like the tournament I'm in that Coleman is currently running, Conquer Club Superstars. It was a unique idea from the start. Or, maybe I like it so much because I haven't gotten knocked out of it yet. He always runs a good tourney.

Q: Why did you pick the name “Steelhorse”?

A: Well, I'm going to date myself, but since 1986 my favorite song has been Bon Jovi's, "Wanted Dead or Alive." You know, "on a steelhorse I ride..." I use Steelhorse, or some variation of it, for most of my online screen names.

Q: Where did you get you avatar?

A: I wish I could say I designed it myself on Autocad or something fancy, but nope. I just Image Googled "Steelhorse" and that was one of the jpeg's that came up. So I stole it. If someone reading this recognizes it from a local business or something...Thanks!!!

Q: What were some highlights for you of the 19th Annual Risk Championships? Will you go again?

A: Easily, the biggest highlight for me was meeting alot of fellow CC'ers and putting faces to names. Everyone I met was awesome and I can't wait to see them again this year, and hopefully, many new CC faces.

I have to go again this year. I'm heavily involved in running it.:lol: This will be my 8th year with RiskTOC.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: If there were something that would make running tourneys easier, I think it would be the ability to send mass PM's. I think this is on the horizon, so let's keep our fingers crossed.

As far as taking anything away, or changing things, I dont' think so. You have to remember, this site is only a couple years old. It's still in its' infancy. If you think about what has been accomplished in such a short period of time, by just a few people, it's astonishing. And, it continues to evolve on a daily basis. Are there things that could improve? Sure. And, the powers that be know what most of them are. But, change can seem tediously slow at times. Trust me, Conquer Club is going to do nothing but grow and get better. Stick around and see. :wink: Look how far we've come in just a couple years. Imagine what we'll be 5 years from now.

If I didn't believe in it, I wouldn't have chosen to be a part of it.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: I'd like the software to be re-programmed so that my dice roll more 6's. No...ALL 6's.

Q: Some say you have a calm demeanor, while others say otherwise. Do you feel there are two sides to yourself?

A: Doesn't everyone have two sides? Most of the time, I try to maintain a calm demeanor. But, as "Fistk" suggested, I have my moments. :wink:

Q: Boxers or briefs?..... or bikini!

A: :-k The person who asked this already knows the answer. I'd rather talk about her undergarment proclivities...the Wonder Woman thongs. :lol: I had no idea Underoos even made thongs!!!

Q: Are you afraid you will be hanged for stealing a horse?

A: Sometimes I think hanging would be an escape from hell, not a sentence to it. :roll:

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future?

A: Yes, I will be running at least one satellite tournament between now and October to give away seat(s) for the 20th Annual Risk Tournament of Champions. The tournament(s) will be announced once the exact dates and location of this year's event have been decided.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Thanks, been a pleasure.

Next Issue

Interview with MarVal Marval will answer reader submitted questions in our tournament interview series. If you have not submitted a question yet, you have until Tuesday, January 29th, to either PM me, or visit this thread.

First Newsletter Poll Results Vote in the poll, and the results will be posted next week.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor- Gozar
Title Design- spinwizard
Distributors-soundout9/Gilligan/militant/lanceyboyuk/jennifermarie
Contributors-People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives