Conquer Club

Famine V.19.3 pg1+35 [I] [Reworking]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue, vacation, or abandon?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Total votes : 0

Postby Unit_2 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:13 pm

Ok, whens the next update? :)
Sergeant Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby rgbubba on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I know you worked hard on it but it looks plain to me.
"ENJOY THE GAME"
Private rgbubba

Postby bryguy on Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:41 pm

and to that i say

oh and i would like to call to your guys attention that i am giving this map a complete graphix makeover, since i have just switched to photoshop

and to that i also agree :lol: newer one is gonna look better (more graphically appealing)
Corporal bryguy

Postby mibi on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 pm

This map is like painting a Bob Ross with hand roller and garden rake.
Captain mibi

Postby bryguy on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:41 am

mibi wrote:This map is like painting a Bob Ross with hand roller and garden rake.

lol yea i know, gimil has me working on territory lines now, but hasn't been able to help cause of something (dont know what)
Corporal bryguy

Re:

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Ok, whens the next update? :)

hopefully today :D
Corporal bryguy

Re: Re:

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:17 pm

bryguy wrote:

Cool, I'm looking forward to it.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Re: Re:

Postby bryguy on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 am

InkL0sed wrote:
bryguy wrote:

Cool, I'm looking forward to it.

ok now hopefully THIS day.... yesterday i got off for supper then got stuck in a game of cards :D
Corporal bryguy

Re: Empire Builder V.11 FINALLY!!!!

Postby bryguy on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:23 pm

V.11 =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

V11 (viewable full sized) [clicky]

changes:

everything

Points of Discusion:

Do the resources look O.K?
Are the boats to hard to see?
Yes I know the army circles on the boats are to small....

edit: aww shoot the forum cut off the image :cry:

edit again: clicky!!
Corporal bryguy

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:47 pm

The bridges connecting Anara Village to Opre and the one connecting Lak to Col'es and Cors look very sloppy.

Now that you have a more realistic landscape, your wall and castles look kind of out of place.

The bonuses are a little confusing. It looks like all of them are negatives, but it is hard to tell if they are dashes or negatives. maybe write it like this [-1] or (-1) or make the "-1" a different color.

FB2, 4, 6, and 7 dont connect to any land so they serve no purpose in the game. I understand that if you start there you can take another boat, but no one will want to conquer them after the first turn. Maybe you could add some kind of bonus for holding them and a fish market or something

What is that around Tray village?

I might just be nit-picking now but the borders dont look amazing....

Anyway, the map is looking great :), and these are just some thoughts- take 'em or leave 'em
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby hulmey on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:49 pm

my computer monitor is broke and im using a crappy monitor for now! So, cant really comment on everything. However are you using photoshop? also why not try and get abtter texture in your map like the oasis map :D
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:18 pm

The graphics have improved for this map, but they still need some work. I'm not crazy about the water texture, and the grass does look rather flat. The lighting is great though.

One gameplay note: since the fishing boats can all attack each other, the ones that don't have land connections become kind of useless, no? I think either you should get rid of those, or simply have fishing boats be normal territories.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby gimil on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm

We need the basic info on the first page bryguy.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Graphics are much better, but now the terrain makes the rest of the map look completely out of place. The uniform black text is distracting, the legend could use some improvement in looks, and as noted by others the castles, walls, and bridges look cheap. Also, could you get a different resource other than "Walruses"? That's so downright weird I don't know what to say.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:08 pm

do you have to hold the resource within the given kingdom to repel the -1 on the regular territs? or does holding any resource at all protect you
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Unit_2 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:05 pm

All I can say is WOW, its alot better but make the ships bigger and make the mountin brown or make it clearer.
Sergeant Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:45 pm

TaCktiX wrote:Graphics are much better, but now the terrain makes the rest of the map look completely out of place. The uniform black text is distracting, the legend could use some improvement in looks, and as noted by others the castles, walls, and bridges look cheap. Also, could you get a different resource other than "Walruses"? That's so downright weird I don't know what to say.

I like humor, humor is funny. We should go back to penguins, I thought that was hilarious once I finally noticed them.

Oh, and maybe there could be a whale resource in the river! That would not only be totally awesome, but it would give a reason to hold the fishing boats without land connections!
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Unit_2 wrote:All I can say is WOW, its alot better but make the ships bigger and make the mountin brown or make it clearer.

thats not a mountain, its a steep incline/decline whateva (basically a very steep hill, so steep nobody can go up it or down it without getting killed :D )

InkL0sed wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:Graphics are much better, but now the terrain makes the rest of the map look completely out of place. The uniform black text is distracting, the legend could use some improvement in looks, and as noted by others the castles, walls, and bridges look cheap. Also, could you get a different resource other than "Walruses"? That's so downright weird I don't know what to say.

I like humor, humor is funny. We should go back to penguins, I thought that was hilarious once I finally noticed them.

Oh, and maybe there could be a whale resource in the river! That would not only be totally awesome, but it would give a reason to hold the fishing boats without land connections!

Ill have to consider making a wale resource (heck, while were at it include a empire in the water :lol: ) and/or changing walruses (better do some googling for resources in tundra areas)

TaCktix, i am going to modify the castles and walls mostly, cause i accidentally messed it up while doing something else, and was in a hurry to go somewhere so i didnt modify that yet, but i will! Also i will modify those bridges between grass and tundra area cause they are just... bleah. Also im gonna be playing aroune with the text, cause things like the text on castles/resources/villages/resources looks bad.

whitestazn88 wrote:do you have to hold the resource within the given kingdom to repel the -1 on the regular territs? or does holding any resource at all protect you

still trying to define that, if able to i would have it that it would protect the area (meaning i would have to get more map space so i could add a little picture showing areas, but that would make it more like feudal to)

gimil wrote:We need the basic info on the first page bryguy.

realized that, will do :D

InkL0sed wrote:The graphics have improved for this map, but they still need some work. I'm not crazy about the water texture, and the grass does look rather flat. The lighting is great though.

One gameplay note: since the fishing boats can all attack each other, the ones that don't have land connections become kind of useless, no? I think either you should get rid of those, or simply have fishing boats be normal territories.

Yea graphixs are always being worked on :D and so yea like i said somewhere i might just throw in a water empire area ;)

hulmey wrote:my computer monitor is broke and im using a crappy monitor for now! So, cant really comment on everything. However are you using photoshop? also why not try and get abtter texture in your map like the oasis map :D

I used photoshop for everything but:
wall, resources, names, boats, castles, bridges, villages and such. When i got far enough for those my photoshop trial had ended so i had to switch to GIMP/Inkscape again (most of it was gimp, with some inkscape stuff). Also, i tried doing texture like in the oasis map but could not cause then i cant do the lighting effects. Also, i do not know if i can change the water that well without making it look worse, cause i did that in photoshop, tried it in gimp and got bright blue :shock:

Kaplowitz wrote:The bridges connecting Anara Village to Opre and the one connecting Lak to Col'es and Cors look very sloppy.

Now that you have a more realistic landscape, your wall and castles look kind of out of place.

The bonuses are a little confusing. It looks like all of them are negatives, but it is hard to tell if they are dashes or negatives. maybe write it like this [-1] or (-1) or make the "-1" a different color.

FB2, 4, 6, and 7 dont connect to any land so they serve no purpose in the game. I understand that if you start there you can take another boat, but no one will want to conquer them after the first turn. Maybe you could add some kind of bonus for holding them and a fish market or something

What is that around Tray village?

I might just be nit-picking now but the borders dont look amazing....

Anyway, the map is looking great :), and these are just some thoughts- take 'em or leave 'em

Yes they do look sloppy, i drew them on quickly :oops:

yea they do look sloppy... (said why earlier)

yea its VERY hard to tell the difference, so i might just use a : instaid of a -

thats a good idea about a fish market bonus :) but i would need more map room for that

its a steep incline around tray

most of them do not look amazing, some do tho cause some were done in photoshop, others in gimp, the gimp ones are more pixely and some of the photoshop ones have to sharp of turns, ill modify those with too sharp of turns later. (no your not to nitpicky :D )

hope i didnt miss anything, if i did, quote it again and do a :-({|= and ill try to answer it :D

also congrats if u read all this post! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:57 pm

also some of u guys have ur users as territ names

zim'mah
Ye'tic
Un'it
Le'ack (lack with an e)
Col'es (coleman with man replaced by s)
Bri'gi
Corporal bryguy

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:59 pm

nice ^^^ :lol:

i especially like Ye'tic
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Its looking good so far, but a few things:

Around Trey Village... is that an impassable wall/border? (mountains?). It just looks like the terrain color got a bit darker. (just read part of the thread. apparently its a steep hill, but its still confusing. You should make it more.... impassable-looking.... i guess)

On the oasis, its just a blue smudge (water?). Try making it look more like a lake (even edges, sloped sides, etc.)

bryguy wrote:also some of u guys have ur users as territ names

zim'mah
Ye'tic
Un'it
Le'ack (lack with an e)
Bri'gi

Thats what makes it fun!
I also see:
Iladi (Iliad?)
Firt (Firth?)
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:07 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Its looking good so far, but a few things:

Around Trey Village... is that an impassable wall/border? (mountains?). It just looks like the terrain color got a bit darker. (just read part of the thread. apparently its a steep hill, but its still confusing. You should make it more.... impassable-looking.... i guess)

On the oasis, its just a blue smudge (water?). Try making it look more like a lake (even edges, sloped sides, etc.)

bryguy wrote:also some of u guys have ur users as territ names

zim'mah
Ye'tic
Un'it
Le'ack (lack with an e)
Bri'gi

Thats what makes it fun!
I also see:
Iladi (Iliad?)
Firt (Firth?)

yes it is impossible, and the Iliad and Firth were accidents :lol:
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:16 pm

ok so
To Do!

Modify Borders
Modify castles/walls/bridges
Modify Boats
Modify Menu
Change walruses (maybe add some ice near marso and call it ice fishing?)
Modify the oasis
Play with text
Make wording and suck in menu more readablilitated :D

did i miss anything?
Corporal bryguy

Postby t-o-m on Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:59 pm

bryguy wrote:congrats if u read all this post! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

lol i didnt, sheesh theres a lot of writing there!

also, i like the 'gradient' "to do" lol, =D>
Major t-o-m

Postby bryguy on Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:53 pm

t-o-m wrote:
bryguy wrote:congrats if u read all this post! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

lol i didnt, sheesh theres a lot of writing there!

also, i like the 'gradient' "to do" lol, =D>

lol yea i wanted a color, then saw how cool it looked as a gradient so i did that! lol and yea that post has ALOT of writing
Corporal bryguy

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas