Conquer Club

A dark mafia game?

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

A dark mafia game?

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Just recently I had an idea for a mafia game that I would really like to do, but I'm afraid it might not go over well here. Essentially, it would be a game where each player is an emotion, a fragmented piece of a single person's psyche. Some feelings would desire unity, feelings such as hope, love, and kindness. Others would be decisive emotions, bent on overcoming this person's mind, throwing him into a state of self-loathing, regret, and anger. Everyday, his emotions war amongst each other, seeking dominance over his mind. At night, when he sleeps, his subconscious takes over and his feelings run wild without control. He awakes the next morning with only memories of visions and dreams from the night before.

I talked to a friend of mine about this and he said I should turn this into a short story or a novel rather than a mafia game, but I disagree. Part of the intrigue with this is that the outcome is out of my control, just as the feelings in the main character's mind are out of his control.

The problem I see with this game is that it would be dark... depressingly dark... Since this forum usually is pretty light-hearted, I'm not too sure how many people would enjoy playing this game. Let me know what you guys think about it all. If enough people are interested, then I will start working on this. If not, then perhaps I will try my hand at writing out a story.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Re: A dark mafia game?

Postby jak111 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:35 pm

It sounds.. interesting. Does each player have to play by their 'emotion' role though?

This has potential but would require that everyone take their REAL emotions out of the game. I think it could work with the group here as long as you moderate who you allow in. Don't make it strict, but at the same time don't bring in people who seriously wouldn't know what they were doing either :/
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby edocsil on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah I would be down. I have had a lot of dungeons, dragons and cops lately and a change of pace would be welcome.
Edoc'sil

Commander9 wrote:Trust Edoc, as I know he's VERY good.

zimmah wrote:Mind like a brick.
Sergeant 1st Class edocsil

Postby strike wolf on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:02 pm

As a psychology major, I say do it!
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby jak111 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:09 pm

strike wolf wrote:As a psychology major, I say do it!

Doing a test on peer pressure? :P XDD
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Postby safariguy5 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

I've played Call of Cthulu, can't be any darker than that. I'd be happy to play.
Captain safariguy5

Postby Rodion on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:13 pm

I've watched the Hannibal trilogy, can't be any darker than that. I'd be happy to play.
General Rodion

Postby zimmah on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 pm

i like the concept, as usual.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby soundman on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Sounds very intriguing. I'd play.
Lieutenant soundman

Postby / on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:20 pm

We've had the occasional dark game here before, Saw and Godfather, to name a couple, though they could be considered more aciton-y I suppose.
It sounds good, I want to play!
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I tried to make Rated M a darker game, although it didn't work out that way. I may play if some games finish up by then.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby strike wolf on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 pm

/ wrote:We've had the occasional dark game here before, Saw and Godfather, to name a couple, though they could be considered more aciton-y I suppose.
It sounds good, I want to play!

I kept Dexter relatively light but it had a couple bloody scenes.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby pmchugh on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Hey Mr. S, hows the hat?

DO EET. (probably wont join because I am in too many games though)
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby jgordon1111 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm

8 thoughts so to speak, intriguing, I will watch if you get it going. But you should try it for sure. I am rather temper(mental)so it doesnt bode well for me to join this one. But I would love to see how it turned out with some of the less emotional players involved. Give a little insight into their gameplay by the emotion they draw for their role.
Private jgordon1111

Postby pancakemix on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Sounds interesting, but I think it's best to hold on for a bit. A couple of games just started and I'd hate for it to get lost in the shuffle.
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:07 pm

pmchugh wrote:Hey Mr. S, hows the hat?

He and I have gone our separate ways, unfortunately. I occasionally catch up with him on fb, but not too often. I've since replaced him with a less snazzy hat.

Good to see you back too. I'm glad to see some recognizable faces after my hiatus.

pancakemix wrote:Sounds interesting, but I think it's best to hold on for a bit. A couple of games just started and I'd hate for it to get lost in the shuffle.
Yea, it'll be a while. I just had the idea for it yesterday, so it'll take me a while to flesh out and balance.
pmchugh wrote:If I wasn't lazy, I would sig that :lol:
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby aage on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:06 pm

There should be nothing wrong with a little darker flavour. I guess it's board regulations or something, but flavours in games have always been very easy and All-Ages, if you receive my meaning. If I were you though, I would turn it into the short story, but it can't hurt to do both. Plagiarism might not work on the internet though, you should look into that.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby nagerous on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Just recently I had an idea for a mafia game that I would really like to do, but I'm afraid it might not go over well here. Essentially, it would be a game where each player is an emotion, a fragmented piece of a single person's psyche. Some feelings would desire unity, feelings such as hope, love, and kindness. Others would be decisive emotions, bent on overcoming this person's mind, throwing him into a state of self-loathing, regret, and anger. Everyday, his emotions war amongst each other, seeking dominance over his mind. At night, when he sleeps, his subconscious takes over and his feelings run wild without control. He awakes the next morning with only memories of visions and dreams from the night before.

I talked to a friend of mine about this and he said I should turn this into a short story or a novel rather than a mafia game, but I disagree. Part of the intrigue with this is that the outcome is out of my control, just as the feelings in the main character's mind are out of his control.

The problem I see with this game is that it would be dark... depressingly dark... Since this forum usually is pretty light-hearted, I'm not too sure how many people would enjoy playing this game. Let me know what you guys think about it all. If enough people are interested, then I will start working on this. If not, then perhaps I will try my hand at writing out a story.

I'd like to play this.
Captain nagerous

Postby shieldgenerator7 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I actually had an idea similar to this, but never developed it.

This sounds cool. I'd play (but only if I got the happy emotion that protects the other emotions :D )

-SG7 ( 8-) )
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to defeat all evil. -Ephesians 6 KJV

My Smiley: ( :) ) --- it's got SHIELDS!

everywhere116 wrote:You da man! Well, not really, because we're colorful ponies, but you get the idea.
Sergeant shieldgenerator7

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:13 pm

In as Greed.

-Tails
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Return to Mafia Discussions