Trench warfare 1917 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Trench warfare1917 V24. 21/06 Bugs be solved pg.1/25

Postby Pyrhhus on Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi. I've played this map on a few different 1v1 setups and I have some thoughts on the latest.

I do not like the idea of every player territory starting with one troop. If the players are going to start with 14 regions that means players will only have those 4 troops for attacking the first turn. This means there is about a 30% chance the attacker lose 2 troops on the first roll and have to be done or risk the much lower odds of winning a 2v2 roll. This makes the early game of a 1v1 quite tenuous because if one person can take a region first turn and get to 15 regions while the other gets stuck at 14, especially if the unlucky person goes second, this can create a large advantage because bonuses are quite difficult for an opponent to break in the first few turns. This opportunity for a large early lead is a lot to hinge on just one roll each.

Additionally, the possibility of having only one die roll the first turn is pretty unfun. The traditional CC beginning of 3 starting troops plus 3 to deploy ensures at least two die rolls first turn, providing much greater odds that the player will make at least some headway toward his/her goals. Also, starting with only one troop on each region provides very few options for reinforcement. This exacerbates the problem of the lucky (or simply not unlucky) player getting a large early advantage as well as further reducing feelings of player inefficacy.
Major Pyrhhus

Medals: 70
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby koontz1973 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:49 am

So you would like the starting troops to go up to 3 for each of the territs. How about two for now and then we can go up to 3 later if that does not solve it for you.
Sergeant 1st Class koontz1973
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 116
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)
Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (9)

Postby Pyrhhus on Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:56 am

koontz1973 wrote:So you would like the starting troops to go up to 3 for each of the territs. How about two for now and then we can go up to 3 later if that does not solve it for you.

As I see it there are several possible solutions.

1) Increase the starting troops per region to 2 or 3. This would fix the one-roll issue, as well as give players some options for reinforcement.

2) Increase the number of starting regions. If each player started with 15 that would fix the one-roll issue and also give a little bit of a cushion in terms of early dice luck. With 15 starting regions a player would not be punished so hard for first turn bad luck as it is very unlikely an opponent would be able to take the necessary three regions for an upgrade in troops due.

3) Lower the neutral troops on the non-bombarding regions. I like that the planes and artillery have a high neutral count because they are very powerful, but if you want to keep the starting troops at 1 for players then lowering the neutrals could be a good way to make it so the players can do more stuff - e.g. take regions, take bonuses, get cards, etc.

4) Some combination of the above options. I don't think it's a good idea to both lower the neutrals and increase the player starting troops, but some other combination may be worth considering.

I think it is also important to note that I have literally no experience with map design. As such I would like to know the reasons why you made the map this way so I can better understand what you are trying to do. I like the layout and the overall idea that each player builds up until one decides to "go over" and then they slug it out, I just think the starting settings need some tweak(s). As far as what that tweak should be, I am unsure.
Major Pyrhhus

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (22) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (9)

Postby Flapcake on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 am

Pyrhhus wrote:I would like to know the reasons why you made the map this way so I can better understand what you are trying to do. I like the layout and the overall idea that each player builds up until one decides to "go over" and then they slug it out, I just think the starting settings need some tweak(s). As far as what that tweak should be, I am unsure.

Hi Pyrhhus, thanks for your consern with in this map, for me it seem that you do understand the map, becourse what you describes is about it, "each player builds up until one decides to "go over" and then they slug it out" what they did in WW1 at the front trenches, and so was the hole idea of this map, not to construct a specific battle from WW1, but to get a feeling of how cruel trench war was.

Now for you suggestion, I like your ideas and Im up for 3 troops insted of 1 and leave rest as it is. Need to hear out Koontz for this ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:58 am

3 it will be then. On holiday now but will get it done as soon as I am back. We have time to get it done though. ;)
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Map Contribution (12)

Postby sparkyball on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 pm

I'm in a game on this map and am trying to understand how someone was able to jump into the GFH area in the back corner without going thru our foxholes..... stupid question I know but my partner and I are both staring at map to figure it out all of our territories surrounding the area are still there but its like he jumped right into the middle of us and not just bombarding but actually put guys there.
Captain sparkyball

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby Flapcake on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:18 pm

sparkyball wrote:I'm in a game on this map and am trying to understand how someone was able to jump into the GFH area in the back corner without going thru our foxholes..... stupid question I know but my partner and I are both staring at map to figure it out all of our territories surrounding the area are still there but its like he jumped right into the middle of us and not just bombarding but actually put guys there.

Sounds wierd, its not posible to teleport on this map, maby he got some kind og hacktool I dont know :lol:

I think you have missed him standing there ;)
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Map Contribution (3)

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:12 am

sparkyball wrote:I'm in a game on this map and am trying to understand how someone was able to jump into the GFH area in the back corner without going thru our foxholes..... stupid question I know but my partner and I are both staring at map to figure it out all of our territories surrounding the area are still there but its like he jumped right into the middle of us and not just bombarding but actually put guys there.

If the game isn't fogged, can you provide a game number?
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

Postby boow on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 pm

I am currently playing a game on this map with the trench game play option in effect.

Isn't it possible that if the two players are exclusively on each side of the trench, there would be no way to finish the game, as it is impossible to move across the trench without being able to attack from a newly won territory.

its a fun map, but not sure it can work with the trench warfare option in effect.

thanks!
Major boow

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:38 pm

boow wrote:I am currently playing a game on this map with the trench game play option in effect.

Isn't it possible that if the two players are exclusively on each side of the trench, there would be no way to finish the game, as it is impossible to move across the trench without being able to attack from a newly won territory.

its a fun map, but not sure it can work with the trench warfare option in effect.

thanks!

Killer neutrals are exempt from trench rules. You can continue to attack until you get to a normal territory.
ImageImage
show: High Score
Lieutenant isaiah40

Location: To be absent from the body is to be present with Christ
Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (5) General Contribution (6)

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 pm

xml raising the starting troops to 3 in 1v1 games.
Trenchmapv1.xml
(35.59 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:40 pm

Sent to lackattack!

Give every man your ear, but few thy voice. Take each man's censure, but reserve thy judgment.
show
Corporal 1st Class thenobodies80
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (8) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (17)

Postby Jippd on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:41 am

My thoughts are on 1 v 1 game that I played with a friend.

I thought this map was meant to be played on trench. I realized that you can't though since no mans land means you cant move across the NM area. Since there are spots on the map that can't be bombarded the game can and would be a stalemate. Am I missing something?
Colonel Jippd

Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (15)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (17) Challenge Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (11)

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:43 am

Jippd wrote:My thoughts are on 1 v 1 game that I played with a friend.

I thought this map was meant to be played on trench. I realized that you can't though since no mans land means you cant move across the NM area. Since there are spots on the map that can't be bombarded the game can and would be a stalemate. Am I missing something?

Yes, trench setting allows you to carry on moving when you attack a killer neutral.
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Postby nolefan5311 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:57 am

koontz1973 wrote:
Jippd wrote:My thoughts are on 1 v 1 game that I played with a friend.

Yes, trench setting allows you to carry on moving when you attack a killer neutral.

:roll:

It's amazing how many times this question has come up in this thread. The same question was literally answered 4 posts before your post.
Major nolefan5311

Medals: 108
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (29) General Achievement (5)
Clan Achievement (12) Map Contribution (4) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas