I think this is an excellent idea.
1. I ve already played such games with mc05025 after agreement. It was a success.
2. The option may only influence first round under such settings. A manual hive 1-1 is gamble, a manual restricted to 10 hive 1-1 is wonderful and does not influnce the game later.
3. A restricted to 4 game may also make sence, knights for example. It does not need to be a big number.
4. The game will, under some settings, resemble a trench game too much.
5. Maps with objectives gets very much more fun and strategy.
6. Maps with few interesting points also get boosted. Imagine surrounding an enemy oasis with stacks in oasis map.
7. Yes. Almost any suggestion does not work well, or even destroys the game, in combination with some other settings. People should stop imagining what kind of settings may make a new suggestion unworkable. Get used to it. The more options we add, the more weird combinations will be available. For example, we already added trench to the site. You cannot play 8 man escalating trench is most maps. Yes, if we add max armies, we will also not be able to play some escalating games. So what? This does not mean the suggestion is invalid. Combine it with workable settings. This would not be the first time, nor will it be the last one. Like you dont play escalating hive 8 players, like you dont play Antartica nuclear (some gamblers like to do so though), like you dont play escalating trench multiplayer, just dont play limited armies escalating also, it is not that difficult. The suggestion forum is not a place where we come, read suggestions and pretend to be clever by finding out which combination of settings will make the suggestion unplayable. You are not clever by doing that, you are not the only one understanding that some combinations get weird, irrelevant or self defeating, you are not clever by mentioning that again and again and you are are not contributing to the site this way. The same arguments have been made again in the past. Fog? What is the point of that in doodle 1 vs 1? Trench? What is the point in killer neutral maps or in big escalating games? Those worked though. Either we avoid some settings or we fix some specific problems (like the killer neutrals above).
I vote for the suggestion with enthusiasm