Conquer Club

The South will never rise again

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby Quirk on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:33 pm

The South did recover from the Civil War. I know many rednecks use the "rise again" phrase to refer to some unachieved goal but that's just their usual bullshit.
Image

"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
User avatar
Colonel Quirk
 
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Quirk wrote:The South did recover from the Civil War. I know many rednecks use the "rise again" phrase to refer to some unachieved goal but that's just their usual bullshit.


No we must relentlessly mock and belittle a portion of the u.s. because they're racists*, different, dumb, their religion sucks, their dicks are small, etc, and we're justified in so doing because 150 years ago some of the people living in the same region fought a war they lost (fucking losers), never mind that it's almost guaranteed those same racists* almost certainly moved and spread their filthy racism* gene to other regions of u.s., where we self-righteous non-racists don't suffer from such devolved thinking as racism because we're so enlightened. And we must make sure everyone knows this.

*Just to be clear, only those sister-fucking rednecks can be racist, it's in their blood. And I'm so enlightened I don't see race, in fact it's just a social construct, that's what I've been told.

-TG
User avatar
Lieutenant TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 2382
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby Neoteny on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:05 pm

A significant part of the trump phenomenon is a middle finger to anyone who uses the phrase "flyover country."
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
User avatar
Major Neoteny
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 am

ConfederateSS wrote:you have NO understand of history.
--Slavery was not erased in THE NORTH...The State of Delaware did not remove slavery from the books...Until 1908...
--Someone should tell all THE PIMPS out there about how there is no more slavery in America :lol: ...
--Americans cry about slavery...Then buy goods made from slave labor around the world...YOU KNOW THE 21st CEN... :lol: ......Niki for one...who sells shoes for $200.00 a pair....But pays their overseas workers 10 cents a day to make them... :lol: YES, we sure are lucky there is no more slavery in THE 21st Cen... :lol: O:) ConfedereateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... O:)

Image
ManBungalow wrote:For BBS, I recommend he get more DDS. That way, he won't experience such jealous BJ's.

Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class DirtyDishSoap
 
Posts: 7577
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:42 pm
Location: Everywhere
Medals: 17
Most Improved Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby mrswdk on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:58 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:I'm so enlightened I don't see race, in fact it's just a social construct, that's what I've been told.


Oh yeah because only white people can be clever enough to overlook differences in skin colour, god you make me sick.

ConfederateSS wrote:--Slavery was not erased in THE NORTH...The State of Delaware did not remove slavery from the books...Until 1908...


Wage slavery remains supported by the state via tax breaks and other pro-wage slavery legislative measures and lobbying by Senators #draintheswamp
betiko wrote:When exactly has china not been the king of the world?

思想自由 兼容并包
User avatar
Lieutenant mrswdk
 
Posts: 11323
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am
Location: 伦敦
Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby ConfederateSS on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:54 pm

------Truth hurts doesn't it...soapy...Go play with your feeling issued box of crayons.....
---------It's a Good Thing...American liberal P.C. history haters ,don't rule the world... =D> =D> =D> =D> ....Or there would be no GREAT WALL OF CHINA, THE COLOSSEUM ,THE GREAT PYRAMIDS OF EGYPT and other worldly wonders.......The cry babies would have torn them all down by now... ;) .....It's a good thing the Egyptians, Italians, and the Chinese see value in the past and learn and profit from it...Hey tourism...To bad Americans of today are no longer Capitalists :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ....Just people who think the world owes them something, and cry until they pee their pants ,if they don't get what they think, they are entitled to... :lol: :D ConfederateSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... :D
User avatar
Corporal ConfederateSS
 
Posts: 1362
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm
Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (3) Challenge Achievement (4) General Contribution (1)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby Neoteny on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Bless your heart...
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
User avatar
Major Neoteny
 
Posts: 2906
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby tzor on Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:If you think about it (which you didn't, because you're tzor), the same exact effect applies to Clinton -- people are less likely to turn out and vote for her if they know she's going to win anyway.


Good point, you only need 51% to win the state. On the other hand, let's stick with the California numbers ...

Clinton won the state with 61.73% of the vote and a 30.11% margin, both the highest since Franklin D. Roosevelt's 66.95% vote share and 35.25% margin in 1936. This was also the first time Orange County voted Democratic since 1936, when Franklin D. Roosevelt swept every single county in the state. Trump's vote share in the state (31.62%) was the lowest for a major-party candidate since John W. Davis's 8.2% in 1924.


And in point of fact More Californians voted last month than in any election in state history. "About 14.6 million Californians — roughly the population of the six states in New England and more than the population of all but four U.S. states as of 2015 — cast ballots in the Nov. 8 presidential election, according to results certified by Secretary of State Alex Padilla."

So when you look it up, (which you didn't, because your Metsfanmax) you see your argument doesn't apply in this case. Over half of the votes were mailed in before election day (58% to be exact).
Image
Image
User avatar
Sergeant tzor
Community Team
Community Team
 
Posts: 3420
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (3)
Challenge Achievement (1) Tribe Achievement (1) General Contribution (7)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm

tzor wrote:Image
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo
User avatar
Major DoomYoshi
 
Posts: 8739
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Wessel Marchinbar Island
Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (16) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (14)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:09 pm

tzor wrote:
Clinton won the state with 61.73% of the vote and a 30.11% margin, both the highest since Franklin D. Roosevelt's 66.95% vote share and 35.25% margin in 1936. This was also the first time Orange County voted Democratic since 1936, when Franklin D. Roosevelt swept every single county in the state. Trump's vote share in the state (31.62%) was the lowest for a major-party candidate since John W. Davis's 8.2% in 1924.


This data point alone is inconclusive. Instead of increased Democratic turnout relative to previous elections, it could also be the result of California uniquely hating Trump relative to previous Republicans (not a particularly hard conclusion to believe).

And in point of fact More Californians voted last month than in any election in state history. "About 14.6 million Californians — roughly the population of the six states in New England and more than the population of all but four U.S. states as of 2015 — cast ballots in the Nov. 8 presidential election, according to results certified by Secretary of State Alex Padilla."


Wikipedia says 14.18 million California voters voted for president in 2016 (I am not sure what the discrepancy is with the Mercury News' number, but let's go with it for the moment). It also says that 13.20 million voters cast a ballot in 2012. So yes, the turnout increased in an absolute sense. On the other hand, as a percentage of the population, the turnout in 2008 was actually higher.

But these numbers are neither here nor there. The original point in dispute was not about whether California turnout increased, it was about whether California votes more than competitive states. And again, this is not the case. Iowa had 69% turnout. Wisconsin turnout was above 70%. Compared to these numbers, a 3% California blip from year to year pales in comparison. This is all consistent with the idea that as a general rule, competitive elections have higher turnout than uncompetitive elections. And in terms of electoral college votes, high population states like Texas, New York and California are mostly uncompetitive, to the effect that a state like Texas had 46% turnout in 2016. That is by far the most important effect in terms of the popular vote totals.

So what's the real point here? Suppose those three states had 70% turnout in 2016. Due to Texas, Trump would gain 1.75 million votes relative to Clinton. But California would give Clinton an additional 8.26 million votes (and a solid majority of all votes cast). So regardless of whether the uncompetitive nature of the election has a larger effect on Republican voters than on Democratic voters, any reasonable value for that effect would leave the undeniable conclusion that if high population states had turnout the way competitive, lower population states do, the popular vote total for the Democrat would always leave the Republican in the dust. For example, in 2012, even though both Texas and California both had lower turnouts, the difference when extrapolated to 70% turnout still means millions of potential extra votes for Obama relative to Romney.

Over half of the votes were mailed in before election day (58% to be exact).


That has absolutely nothing to do with this argument.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant Metsfanmax
 
Posts: 6682
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm
Location: California
Medals: 51
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (2)
Challenge Achievement (1) General Contribution (11)

Re: The South will never rise again

Postby armati on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
Sergeant armati
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun May 29, 2016 12:49 am
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)

Previous

Return to New Name Pending

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users