Conquer Club

Issue 12: 10/03/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
Hope you find all kinds of tournaments that suit your tastes in this issue.

Enjoy!
Gozar

Index

News
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with amazzony
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

News
Feel free to comment on any news item, or submit your own.

Seeking Staff- The Tournament newsletter is seeking an organized person to compile information about tournaments currently recruiting and seeking reserves each week. Organizational skills are a must.
If interested, please PM Gozar for more information.

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Raining Fire
Organiser: lanyards

World 2.1 2v2 Mini Tournament
Organiser: prince111

Restaurant Tournament
Organiser: blakebowling

Conquer the World
Organiser: Icedragont

The Pimp’s Doubles Tournament
Organiser: pimphawks70

Brigade Commander Tournament
Organiser: gdeangel

Easter Rising Tournament-Ireland
Organiser: gdeangel

Hubble Bubble Triples Trouble
Organiser: cena-rules

NFL Pro Bowl
Organiser: risk it all

Friends Close, Enemies Closer
Orgainser: banana_hammocks

Going Down Under Take 2: Attack of the Koalas
Organiser: ^MsCarolyn^

Serie Cup A Doubles
Organiser: Forza AZ

Fast Finish Tournament
Organiser: brendan man

Battle of the Lakes
Organiser: brendan man

Randomocity Tournament
Organiser: Natewolfman

Pokeman Diamond and Pearl
Organiser: Zoebear1

Vampir2124’s War Tournament
Organiser: vampir2124
First Tournament, with an uneven bracket and an interesting final round.

Snowy Rock Races
Organiser: amazzony

Olympics Part 1: Citius
Orgainser: amazzony

The Irish Revolution
Organiser: Optimus Prime

The Battle of Emperors
Organiser: zimmah

Guitar Hero 3
Organiser: lord voldemort
Each player is ranked and represents a song from guitar hero 3 tracklist. through a series of rounds and scoring system. a winner emerges to claim the greatest song
Players needed: 46

Band or Die Quads Tournament
Organiser: Natewolfman

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
jennifermarie’s The C-list

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Cairns Coral Coast Masters:
Organisers: Optimus Prime/ Gozar
Four divisions compete for premium membership, on maps designed by the tournament’s sponser, cairnswk.
Division Two
Final Game is underway.
Division Three
Final Game is underway.
Division Four

The World Leader's Assassin Tournament
Organisers: Gozar
Day Three is coming to a close as leaders continue to pick each other off.

The Long Walk
Demon666 has been eliminated and round eleven is beginning.

Battle Europe
The third installment of Gozar’s “Battle” series. The final round four game is underway.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Updated March-07-08
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
Round One underway
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Round One underway.
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
Elimination One.
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
First batch of games underway.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
Round One underway.
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
Round One underway.

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

The Official Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament from Sir. Ricco
Look for it: When the Age of Mayhem map nears completion

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”Who Rules The House?”- Godd
”NHL League”- Clive
”North America vs. Europe vs. The World”- negoeien
”Going Down Under Tournament”- ^MsCarolyn^
”NFL Doubles”- happy2seeyou & fish061
”The Classic Bracket Tournament”- acores2005
”USA Tourney”- taxmanjle

Interview with amazzony
This week we had the chance to talk with organizer, amazzony. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with Sir. Ricco. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with Natewolfman. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, amazzony.

A: Hey, Gozar.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I love the board game Risk and when a friend of mine suggested me this site then I just had to try it out.

Q: Have you ever played RISK before CC?

A: Yes, many many times and I own a board game myself.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: Very :D As I said before, I've played Risk a lot and so naturally I got impatient when after 10 or so games here in CC I still hadn't won a single game. But I think I've got the hang of it now :lol:

Q: Were you excited about your first tournament win?

A: Again, yes, very excited. It's kind of the same story as with previous question. I had played in quite many tournaments already, done pretty well in some of them but still didn't have a win. So, winning Classic Mini Tournament made me happy.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: I was a freemium member for a long time and I got a bit bored so I decided to start taking part of a few tourneys. I looked around in the tournament forums quite often and then I think that I stumbled on some abandoned Fantastic Four tournament and I liked the idea of Fantastic4 tourney. So I just decided to give it a try.

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A: It depends. As I said, Fantastic4 tournament idea came from abandoned forums and as I'm trying to run them as series then I just try to figure out what could come next and make them according to that. The Scroll is based on a movie and an idea started to form in my head while I was watching it, Cuties came because I wanted to run something girlish and cute fluffy animals popped into my mind because I adore animals. I think that each tournament has it's background but it would be too long if I told about all of them.

Q: Do you prefer to run tournaments alone or have a long discussion with others and then run it with several people?

A: I like it both ways. I'm glad that I've had a chance to run the huge World Cup tournament with others. By others now I mean mostly MarVal because rest of the group has mostly dropped out but but we are doing pretty well if I can say so and MarVal is a great organisers. I enjoy running a tournament in part of the EIOT group. I love to run tournaments with my partner simor. And at the same time I'm very glad that I have my own individual tournaments where I can make all the decisions and run them exactly as I wish without any compromises.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: My first tournament was Fantastic Four: The Birth. I decided to make it very simple so I wouldn't have a chance to make mistakes and when launching it, I already knew that I will be running next Fantastic4 as soon as first one ends. I never imagined that at some point I'll be running 10 tournaments at the same time :lol:
First tournament that I played in was yorkiepeter's 1v1 Singles League. It was exactly for me. I played mostly 1v1 games and this tournament was a great way for me to see how good I really am. I really liked the tournaments and the proof is that now, after yorkiepeter isn't running tournaments anymore, we've decided to pick it up and run Season 4.

Q: How many tournaments have you run and how long have they been?

A: Right now I have 7 finished, 2 finishing within a month and 9 that will take quite some time to end. About length, the ones that have finished by now, haven't been very long, shortest about a month and longest around 3 months. The ones in progress are mostly 2-4 month tournaments. Though I can't be completely sure because I haven't kept track that closely.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you've run? Why?

A: This is a really tough one.... Each tournament I've ran or I'm running is important and special for me so I can't pick one. They are all my favourites :D

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: I do. I'd say that 90% of my games are tournament games (usually I have 50-70 active games). I find tournament games more interesting to play and as I play games with all settings and (almost) all maps then I see no reason why go to public games where I can meet rude and obnoxious people when I can play in tournaments with great players. I don't mean that everybody outside tournament games are like that but I've had some not nice experience so I prefer the tournaments' "safe" environment :D
Rest of the games are mostly clan games.

Q: Why do you always win the "Battle of Emoticons"?

A: Because I'm a bit twisted :twisted: Though it's only 2 out of two :twisted: and I can't wait for the third one :twisted:

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: That either one of these suggestions would be implemented: Suggestion 1 or Suggestion 2

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: I think that the best thing for now (and it doesn't just go about organisers) that everybody is waiting is that there wouldn't be any more server problems. For me it's annoying when I want to start updating tournaments or need to send out messages and I can't because CC is down, slow and/or just impossible.
Taken away? I don't think that there's anything that I would like to get rid of.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Don't take too big bite at the beginning. Go with something easy and simple. Think things through before starting. Make nice colorful introduction post. Simple things that help you get more players and make running the tournament easier. And never forget the most important thing - there are always problems, just don't give up! :)

Q: Do you play a lot of video games?

A: Video games - no, though I've had several Chinese gameboxes (they were cheap and broke down after a few months :P) when I was a lot younger. But I do like computer games and I play them time to time when I find time and good company for playing.

Q: What is your best/favorite map?

A: Classic and Crossword are sharing first place. I adore both maps. Mostly I like classic-type maps and I'm not a huge fan of gimmicky maps though I'm capable of playing almost all maps.

Q: What other forum parts are you visiting regularly besides the tournament ones? Are you even visiting them regularly?

A: I skim through everything except Flame Wars. But mostly I can be found in tournament and clan forum.

Q: Why did you pick the name amazzony?

A: I've used it for many years for internet so it's like glued to me.

Q: If you had to choose a different screen name what would it be?

A: Probably CelticBeauty (or just Beauty) because I've played another game, Utopia, with it for 3-4 years by now and in a way, the name is important for me.

Q: How many times have you been called a man?

A: 1 too many :lol: When we leave out those who know that I'm female then I think that 90% call me dude or guy or something similar.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: My mother makes this wonderful soup... but sadly I don't know the name in English and my dictionary is stupid :(

Q: Do you like pie?

A: Yes, I do. Especially my grandmother's carrot pie.

Q: Besides you, who is your favorite TO?

A: My doubles partner, co-organiser and bf simor :)

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: I have a few things on my mind but only thing sure is 2 other parts of Olympics but don't know yet when. Fantastic Four will get it's fourth tournament as soon as third one ends, Termination: Classic will definitely get a sequential, 1v1 Singles League wants a Season 5.
I also have ideas that include books and a racetrack but I have to start working out those ideas for decent tournaments.
Oh, and I'm working with simor on a tournament for those who like doubles freestyle because we like it and as nobody has ran it for us then we need to do it ourselves :D

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Thank you!

Next Issue

Interview with Natewolfman Natewolfman will answer reader submitted questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor- Gozar
Title Design- spinwizard
Distributor- simor
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives