Conquer Club

Issue 24: 02/06/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
I hope you are all enjoying yourselves out there. Keep sending your submissions, and I will keep putting them in.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Index

New Staff Placement
Note from Gilligan
Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with White Moose
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

New Staff Placement

I am pleased to welcome Gilligan to the news desk. He will be covering all tournaments that are in need of players. I hope you enjoy your stay Gilligan. Welcome!

Note from Gilligan
Hi all! This is Gilligan, a new worker on this Newsletter. I just wanted to introduce myself to all you readers. I'm sure I'll enjoy working here and with Gozar. Thank you all for reading this, or this wouldn't exist!

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

++++Band or Die 2
Organizer: Natewolfman

The Feudal War Doubles Tournament
Organizer: RedRover23B

WWII Extravaganza
Organizer: Kilazul
Quads

Kilzul Football League Season 1
Organizer: Kilazul

Flame Wars vs. Rest of CC
Organizer: khazalid
Triples

The RTTT Tournament
Organizer: risk-yall100-0
This is a doubles, freestyle tourney

Feudal Kings Tournament
Organizer: CryWolf/Sd031091
This is a doubles, speed, freestyle tourney

Brigade Commander Tournament - Quads
Organizer: gdeangel

CC World Cup of Risk 2008
Organizers: R0k0v and sensfan

1 versus 1 Tournaments

Gilligan’s Bracket Tournament IV
Organizer: Gilligan

Dominance And Power Tournament
Organizer: sd031091

Waterloo League
Organizer: JesusReigns

Avenger’s Initiative Tournament
Organizer: shadowsteel9

You’re The Engineer!
Organizer: brendan man

Classical Tournament
Organizer: Tk 421

All maps every maps tourney
Organizer: Tk 421

The Book OFF
Organizer: blakebowling

Bring It On
Organizer: Lufsen75

Square Dancing/Swing your Partner Round and Round
Organizer: Marfski

General Tournaments

CC Scavengers

The Cold War
Organizer: fireedud

Un-Real War
Organizer: max is gr8

Termination: Scotland
Organizer: amazzony

Football Firms ‘Who is the Best’
Organizer: Ryall55

French Tournament
Organizer: sensfan

No Card 4 Player Singles Faceoff
Organizer: kratos644

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
A unique, RPG style tournament were you choose to be a druid, mage, warrior, rogue, ranger, cleric or necromancer. Involves strategizing outside of games. Not for the faint of heart.

Racing to Win
Organizer: madman7

Beer League
Organizer: Gburg Gunner

Build A Town – Long Winded Series - Part 1

Get Your CC Degree at Conquer Club University
Organizers: brandoncfi

One Shot, One Kill

Best Movie Ever – CC Edition
Organizer: poptartpsycho18

Defend Your Castle
Organizer: El Capitan X

Liscense To Conquer
Organizer: wpg27offsuit

The Race – Long Winded Series Part 2

Needing Reserves

Reserve pool for all EIOT tournaments
Organizers: Natewolfman, Sir. Ricco, Gozar, Gilligan, amazzony, barterer2002, jennifermarie, lord voldemort

1v1 Singles League Season 5
Organizers: amazzony and simor
Biggest 1v1 league is about to start with 14 divisions and it's looking reserves to assure that that the whole season goes successfully.

8 Man Madness!
Organizer: Gilligan

Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament
Organizer: Sir. Ricco

Doodle Earth Assassin King
Organizer: hatta76

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Battle Europe II
Organiser: Gozar
Final round three game is underway. Round four set to begin soon.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
Third elimination coming up.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
Round three underway
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Round Two underway.
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
All games in the qualifying round are running. Seven of eight finalists has been determined.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
EdwinG wins
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
Update 10/04/08
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Standings update 30/04/08

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Olympics Part III : Fortius from amazzony
In the spirit of Olympics, Part III will be 3-8 player games.
Look for it: July/August 2008

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”Musical Chairs” –EdwinG
”Super Quick Tournament” –BeakerWMA
”Name Optimus Prime/Luxurious’ Baby” –BaldAdonis
”Teams Tournament”- jiminski, surfingmace, lt.pie and Master Merlin
”Mission: Survive the Longest V.4.0”- biscuit boy
”Quickdraw 1v1 Tournament”- vtonic
”Heroes: Choose your power”- japser_be
”Down and Dirty II”- Gilligan
”Super Speed Tournament”- SkywardShadow
”God of Conquer Club-“ Hath
”Point Grabbers VIII”- Arcee
”1v1 Singles League Season 4”- The1exile
”LODEDI”- Superrag, Mikiesdios
”The Escalating Europe Tournament”- BarbieB

Interview with White Moose
This week we had the chance to talk with organizer and player, White Moose. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with dittoeevee8888. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with Arcee. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, White Moose.

A: Hello, Gozar

Q:How did you find this website?

A: It was a friend of mine who told me to check it out, so I did and here we are.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I've always enjoyed playing RISK the boardgame, but since my bigger brother moved out I haven't played it that often. So I was sold on this website from game 1.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:First i didn't know tournaments existed, but a friend of mine told me about the Swedish Championship (Organized by Lufsen75), so i joined up and really liked the idea of tournaments. It was mostly the fact that the games wasn't only for points, it to advance in a tournament as well. Since i got premium membership, I am joining in most tournaments out there.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: It started with that I was looking for tournaments on the Age of Realms maps, I had recently fallen for them so I wanted to play some tournments on the map. But there wasn't any tournaments like that up at that time. So I decided to make my own.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: A little bit under 2 months I think, not that sure.

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A: Conqueror of Realms

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A: Often I go looking on other peoples tournaments and see how they do it. Then I think of my own version of it. Or I just think about it on my own when I got some time so spare.

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A: No one but myself really.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: The experience I had from my first runned tournament was quite good, I found out that it was very simple to make them, if you put a little effort in it. The only things who I don't really like is making all the games, and making the charts. Other than that, I only got positive memories of it.

My first tournament I played in.. That was the Swedish Championship, it started out good for me, I had fun. Playing games in a tournament, thought it was great! But then I realized that I sucked on the map I had chosen for my home map. Later on I actually jumped off the whole tournament, don't really know why when I look back at it. I guess I was tired of losing 7 games in a row.

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"?

A: I only have one completed so far, but I got two others ongoing. I don't really have a goal for a number.. I will keep do tournaments when I still like doing them and having time to do them.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: That would be my own tournament, Wizard of Magic. 6-player AoR-Magic tournament.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A: I do like simple tournaments, just a single elimination. Because then you don't have to think that much about the tournament other when you got you game and you need to win it.
Can't say I have a favorite format really.

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A: It's easier to set them yourself. Because then you know which settings it will be, so you know approximately how long time the games will take.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: Yes, I am playing in very many tournaments. I do not really know what you mean with that second question. If it's how I find my "normal" games, then I just search for the games I want to play at that time. If you are asking how I find my tournament games, then I find them in my mailbox, sent out by the tournament organizer.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: Very excited, couldn't get enough of the map I won on! But then I realized that I sucked at it..

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: That would be my own tournament, Conqueror of Realms, I went out in the Quarterfinals. I really wanted to win that one.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: To try and keep things as simple as possible.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: That would be Wizard of Magic.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: If my tournament has a hard time filling up, then I send out invitation mails to who play in other tournaments, trying to get them to join mine.
I think that simple tournaments, with "normal" maps, like Classic, appeals most players. Because then everyone understands the tournament.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: Making the charts and making the games. Kinda boring to do 50+ games at once (When that is only for the first round).

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: That if you have a great idea for a tournament, then you just make it.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: Not giving enough information on the first post in the forum.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: I haven't really done any mistakes yet.. Just one thing with a chart which I filled in a wrong point.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A: I just wait until they need the update.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: Nothing really, I like it as it is.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: Nothing but one thing. They could add a game description if you are in the game. So you don’t have to go back to see which game it is.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Take your time to do the first post on the forum, give all information needed. Also, start out small. Make a simple tournament to start with.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A: I don't play tournaments that give me headaches.. So I don’t remember them either :P

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: To much... all from 1 hour to 6...

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: I am a member of the "Tournament Organizer" and "The book Club" Usergroup. I recently joined the "Imperial Dragoons" clan.

Q: Why did you pick the name White Moose?

A: Because I wanted a name with a color and a animal + it had to be funny. So after thinking about it a while. I came up with White Moose!

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: 1v1 AoR: Might, both favourite and least favourite. I love it when I own at it. I hate it when my dice fails like crazy..

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: It's a 9 tournament series. Called "Age of Realms - Editions". More information will be given later.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: No problem, thanks yourself.

Next Issue

Interview with dittoeevee8888 dittoeevee8888 will answer your questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor- Gilligan
Title Design- spinwizard
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives