Conquer Club

Issue 25: 10/06/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Editor’s Note

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
I hope you are all enjoying yourselves out there. Keep sending your submissions, and I will keep putting them in.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Index

Currently Taking Signups
Tournament Updates
Coming Soon
The Tournament Roll of Honour
Interview with dittoeevee8888
Next Issue
Notes
Staff

Currently Taking Signups
Here are just some of the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

WWII Extravaganza
Organizer: Kilazul
Quads

NFL 2008/09 Season
Organizer: wpg27offsuit

Kilzul Football League Season 1

Flame Wars vs. Rest of CC
Organizer: khazalid
Triples

The RTTT Tournament
Organizer: risk-yall100-0
This is a doubles, freestyle tourney

Feudal Kings Tournament
Organizer: CryWolf and Sd031091
This is a doubles, speed, freestyle tourney

1 versus 1 Tournaments

Gilligan’s Bracket Tournament IV
Organizer: Gilligan

Dominance And Power Tournament
Organizer: sd031091

Waterloo League
Organizer: JesusReigns

Classical Tournament
Organizer: Tk 421

All maps every maps tourney
Organizer: Tk 421

The Book OFF
Organizer: blakebowling

Bring It On
Organizer: Lufsen75

Square Dancing/Swing your Partner Round and Round
Organizer: Marfski

General Tournaments

Most Ultimate Feudal War Singles
Organizer: Army of Achilles
Premium Prize

WWE Ladder Tournament
Organizer: The_Animal

Un-Real War
Organizer: max is gr8

Around CC Open Season
Organizer: Sir. Ricco

Bart’s Birthday Bash
Organizer: barterer2002

The Simple Yet Fun Tournaments
Organizer: Ryall55

Become the Ultimate Assassin!

Demolition Derby

Australian Open Tennis 2008

Indiana Jones Tribute Tourney

CC Scavengers
Organizer: Natewolfman

The Cold War
Organizer: fireedud

Un-Real War

Football Firms ‘Who is the Best’

French Tournament
Organizer: sensfan

No Card 4 Player Singles Faceoff
Organizer: kratos644

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
A unique, RPG style tournament were you choose to be a druid, mage, warrior, rogue, ranger, cleric or necromancer. Involves strategizing outside of games. Not for the faint of heart.

Build A Town – Long Winded Series - Part 1

One Shot, One Kill
Organizer: Natewolfman

Best Movie Ever – CC Edition
Organizer: poptartpsycho18

Liscense To Conquer
Organizer: wpg27offsuit

The Race – Long Winded Series Part 2

Needing Reserves

Reserve pool for all EIOT tournaments
Organizers: Natewolfman, Sir. Ricco, Gozar, Gilligan, amazzony, barterer2002, jennifermarie, lord voldemort

8 Man Madness!
Organizer: Gilligan

Age of Realms Trilogy Tournament
Organizer: Sir. Ricco

European Championship 2008
Organizer: fantanyser

Doodle Earth Extravaganza
Organizer: Shadow_Chaos_7

Boxing Champions League
Organizer: flexmaster33

Doubles Elimination

USFL Football League
Organizer:
flexmaster33

Tournament Updates
Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Battle Europe II
Organiser: Gozar
Final round three game is underway. Round four set to begin soon.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
Third elimination coming up.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
Round three underway
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
Round Two underway.
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
All games in the qualifying round are running. Seven of eight finalists has been determined.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
EdwinG wins
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
Update 10/04/08
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Standings update 30/04/08

Coming Soon

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Olympics Part III : Fortius from amazzony
In the spirit of Olympics, Part III will be 3-8 player games.
Look for it: July/August 2008

The Tournament Roll of Honour

Here are some recent tournament winners.

”CCC” –demigod
”Satellite for 2008 RiskTOC” –seamusvibe
”You’re Eliminated IV” –BaldAdonis
”Back to the Basics II” –Strider24
”Free Player’s Open” –cave man
”Best of the Best I” –pempi
”Classic’s Biography” –[b]barnsta b
[b]”Triples War” –
Big Whiskey, RL_Orange, RiskTycoon
”Down and Dirty III” –Evil Semp
”Musical Chairs” –EdwinG
”Super Quick Tournament” –BeakerWMA
”Name Optimus Prime/Luxurious’ Baby” –BaldAdonis
”Teams Tournament”- jiminski, surfingmace, lt.pie and Master Merlin
”Mission: Survive the Longest V.4.0”- biscuit boy
”Quickdraw 1v1 Tournament”- vtonic

Interview with dittoeevee8888
This week we had the chance to talk with organizer and player, dittoeevee8888. All questions are reader submitted, so if you have something you want to ask an upcoming organizer; PM me. Next week’s interview will be with Arcee. If you have not submitted your questions, you have until Tuesday to either PM me, or post in this thread.
In two weeks, our interview will be with brendan man. Feel free to begin submitting your questions now, I have created this thread for that purpose.

Now, on with the interview.

Q: Hello, dittoeevee8888.

A: Hello, Gozar.

Q:How did you find this website?

A: I found this website by searching on Yahoo! one day, looking for a Risk Game download that I found the other day, but didn't remember what keywords I typed in. So, this was one of the hits, and I clicked and found the website.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: Well, mainly because I've never played Risk before with other people, and because I've wanted to get better at Risk so I could beat a friend who claimes that he could beat me.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A: Well, probably because I'd just discovered the forum that day...but back then I was pretty clueless on how the forum worked, so I clicked the tourney forum, and clicked on a topic that advertised that it doesn't require premium to go in, and it seemed interesting enough, so I joined. Sadly enough, the tourney got abandoned, but by then, I've gotten to know the forum better, and that's why I started to play.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A: The main reason why I started running tourneys is because when I tried to go in mushin's Survivor tourney, I couldn't because I didn't fufill the requirements to go in. I got pretty annoyed, so I ran tournaments that anybody can join, and are freemium-friendly, so that freemiums only have to reserve 1 spot.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A: I've been organizing tourneys since March, 23, 2008, so a little more than 2 months.

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A: I first ran Big Brother 1 - CC Style. It's still going right now, but probably because of my error, which required another revote.

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A: Mostly from Reality TV Shows and or Game shows, but I also take ideas from other tourneys as well.

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A: I guess I somewhat look to the people who participate in my tourneys for inspiration, because I mainly feel I run them for them, as I don't play in any or my tourneys, I just reserve it.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A: The first tourney I ran, as I said above was Big Brother 1 - CC Style, which kind of got into a big mess because I accidentally put in the wrong people in the wrong games. It was also too late to change it, so I had to take a vote, and that got into a big mess.
The first tourney I played in, was Back To Basics, which was fun, as I only had to play in 1 game (2 games max), though I hated the fact that the fortifications was adjacent.

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"?

A: I have run 7 tourneys, and they are all ongoing right now. I don't have any real goal, but I do plan on running tourneys for the rest of my time on CC as I do enjoy doing so.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in?

A: My favorite tourney played in is probably Amazzony's Assasinations I probably because I've won all the games I'm in so far. I like the format of it, and I don't really hate the maps that she's chosen.

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A: There really doesn't seem to be any specific type of format that I tend to gravitate towards. I just mostly do random because it's eaiser for me to get random.org to choose it for me, which means I don't have to check back on the thread. The only time I don't do it, is when the theme is more obvious, which means that it looks weird if I don't use that map. My favourite format is simply random. Nobody can complain about that, but I do prefer freestyle games over sequential, only because the games normally are faster vs. sequential. But most people seem to like sequential, so I normally use sequential.

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A: I do find it easier to choose tourney settings myself, which normally means random. Letting players custimize them means more mistakes, which equals to more chances of having to redo them, which just sucks.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: I'm playing in a lot of tourneys, in fact all 4 of my slots are reserved for tourneys, even though I'm in more than 4 tournaments. The fact that I normally advance 1st time, does help, so I haven't had to drop out of any tournaments because of my slot disadvantage.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: I was really excited. It was my first game, completed, and I was just getting to the site, so I thought to myself that it must be a good site, so I continued playing.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: Well...this one is kind of hard to answer, because, well I've only completed in two tournies (and soon to be three). I guess out of the two choices, I have to say the first Back to Basics because I was really close to winning that game to advance, but the escalating cards really helped my opponent to take over. That, and the fact that I didn't have enough to cash in another set, is why I lost.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: In my mind, what makes a successful tournament is that both the players and the organizer(s) are enjoying themselves while playing/organizing the tournament.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A: I guess it'd depend on what you consider "successful" as I can see it in many ways. Successful could mean, well mostly my opinion, which would mean that both organizers and players having fun, which I'd be guessing most tournaments. But as I'd probably, if I'd have to pick a few, I'd list The Official Trilogy AOR Tourney, which as far as I'm concerned, didn't take that long to finish the signups of 216 players, and "Down & Dirty" 3rd and 4th editions which took a little more than 6 hours to fill.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A: Well, for attracting players, I just let it sit in the tourney thread, and let people find it. If I knew how to use the signature part of the website (I couldn't find it in the control panal until t-o-m pointed it out to me), I'd probably advertise like that too. I think that a Classic map (or something else popular) would appeal, as well as the sequential, escalating and chained/unlimited would be popular settings that appeal to a lot of players, simply because it's used a lot, and that they are likely to be used to.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: I guess I dislike the PMing part in general, even though I'm glad mass PMing has been implemented. It's boring to me to copy & paste the same thing over and over again...

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A: The best thing about being a Tournament Organizer is the fun that you see people when they play your tournaments.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: Making people wait too long during the wait period of tournaments, because some games finish faster than others. Although it works to my advantage, it works to my disadvantage as well, because I only have 2 games running, because I'm saving slots, and I am mostly bored on CC right now, because I procrastinate from checking on my tourneys.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A: Probably setting up games that are wrong either in maps, or settings, number of players, etc. Though I've done it wrong a couple of times, I need to remember to double check it.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A: I check them every day, or when I remember to, and when they need an update, I update it.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: Probably making it easier to navigate on the Control Panel, as I couldn't find the signature section, but I wouldn't really care if they didn't. CC is great as it is, and I would still play, even though if it isn't changed.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: I think that 2 player games should not be the default option for games. If 8 players were the option, there would still be room for mistakes, as if you needed a 3 player game, but accidentally made a 2 player game, and somebody else joined, you couldn't undo it, or that you can drop tournament games that already started but haven't ended. I don't think that taking away anything would make anything easier, but then again, I'd probably have to think very hard to find anything.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Probably starting simple. Although I haven't started with big I started with something a bit complex, and it annoys you badly, especially when you screw up

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A: Well...I don't have 5 but there are a few:
1. making wrong games
2. deadbeats and then having to find reserves for them
3. trying to find people to join your tourneys when they aren't exactly the best idea, but you don't want to abandon

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: CC takes up a lot of my time, not because the games do, it's because I have nothing better to do...

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: I'm a member of the Pikachu Clan, but it's kind of inactive...

Q: Why did you pick the name dittoeevee8888?

A: Well, it's the screen name of most other sites that I'm on...and I originally thought of that because Ditto and Eevee are my favourite Pokemon, and 8's my favourite number.

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Well I don't really have a favourite play colour, but it's probably green because I play 1 on 1 games a lot before I joined tourneys, and I was always second to join. Probably I like Red, Green, Blue and Pink, but I don't really care...anything except yellow, I guess, because it's hard to tell the difference between yellow and white, especially when it's next to a neutral or something...

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: I don't really have any favourite maps...I guess, but least favorutie maps include Age of Merchants and Conquerman. Any others I'm more or less fine with...

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: Well, I'd be planning some version of Deal, or No Deal, some kind of selling houses thing ( not sure on what I'd call it), and Ditto's Double something...still need a name on that. Look for it in a few months, probably when a couple of my tourneys are finished.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Your welcome, it should be fun reading what I say on the Newsletter...

Next Issue

Interview with Arcee Arcee will answer your questions in our tournament interview series.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff

Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor- Gilligan
Title Design- spinwizard
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives