Conquer Club

Issue 44: 21/10/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 7:28 pm

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
I hope this installment of the newsletter holds something that interests you. As always, keep sending your submissions, and I will keep putting them in.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image News Hound
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
Image Tournament Updates
Image Coming Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honour
Image Interview with qwert
Image Next Issue
Image Notes
Image Staff

Classic and Middle Earth are… redone?

This weeks story:

If the server crash and the loss of forums wasn’t enough stress for the admins, the Classic and Middle Earth maps have been modified to prevent copyright issues. Many have mourned the ‘death’ of Classic, as it is the original map and the favorite of many. Now, the Classic Shapes and Classic Art map have identical gameplay as the original, so if you still want to play, you can use those maps. Middle Earth is now Centerscape.

If you would like to see about a new Classic, visit this thread in the Map Foundry: Classic Alternatives Discussion/Suggestions.

Night Strike wrote:From the desk of the Tournament Directors:

This has been a crazy last 7-10 days in World Domination. Forums have disappeared, a director has stepped down, terminologies have changed, and our Classic map has undergone a makeover. I thank all of you organizers and players who have kept our tournament forums clean from the constant complaints that plague the other forums. You all help keep Steelhorse and me closer to sanity. I also thank those of you who do not like the new map for not spamming my inbox (and please don't get any ideas from that).

I think that the tournaments should be the first place to take advantage of the new classic and centerscape maps. If you don't like the new ones, I challenge you to design tournaments that are "out-of-the-box", to choose a theme based on other maps. Now that there are two classic maps, you could do a war between the classics. Continue to put your creativity to good use and look on the bright side of these changes. As always, the ideas for tournaments are endless. As a housekeeping item, please be sure to use the new site terms such as Spoils and Reinforcements when listing the settings for your tournaments.

Thanks for all the tournaments.

~Night Strike

Those words conclude this week’s News Hound, catch us again next week in the Tournament Newsletter!

Gilligan taking over for White Moose this week saying… long live the Conquer Club tournament forum!

Do you have something that would make a great story? Please send your idea's to White Moose!

October 14, 2008: The day Classic got changed due to copyright.

Think you’ve got a tournament record? Have you completed enough tournament games to be in the top 10? Do you have a new idea for the Tournament Hall of Fame? Send a PM to Gilligan!

Here are the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

Class of CC Doubles Tournament
Organizer: 4 U 2 NV

128 Player Doubles Tournament
Organizer: ka-i

Upper Class
Organizer: baseballer72

LOTR Tournament
Organizer: blade5048

Difficult Maps: Triples Edition
Organizer: Natewolfman

Small Map Quads
Organizer: blockhead15

1 versus 1 Tournaments

Foundry Update Halloween Special
Organizer: Natewolfman

Connect 4
Organizer: yeti_c

General Tournaments

Super Mario 64
Organizer: Fire Mario
Half of the groups have finished the first course, but a couple of groups have had a couple people get locked up by King Goomba/King Boo/Cheif Chilly (they dissapeared) and we need reserves.

Conquer Club World Cup
Organizer: sensfan

The Allrounders Tournament
Organizer: Boss_oss_ss

Fuzzy’s Freshman Fiasco
Organizer: The Fuzzy Pengui

City Trip
Organizer: PaulusH
using a 7x7 windmill setup
Status: Half of the needed people booked for these nice 8 trips to 8 cities.
Brief description or update: At each city our travelling party of 49 persons will split up in 7 groups. In each city the 6 other people in your group will be different compared to earlier cities.
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: planned starting date is 28 October.

Classic Singles Doubles Triples Quadruples
Organizer: coded

300 Tournament
Organizer: GrimReaper.

Royal Flush Tournament
Organizer: JBlombier
Tournament based on the map Poker Club.
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: About 45% of needed (36) players for the tournament have signed up.

Conquer the World
Organizer: wahid

The Alphabetical Tourney
Organizer: spidey

October Risk Festival
Organizer: sensfan

The Catfish Cup
Organizer: CatfishJohnson

Sam’s Birthday Bonanza
Organizer: samuelc812

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Asian Dinner Date
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 5x5 windmill setup.
Update: As Main course we have Fugu: one mistake at preparing and the poison will kill my guests
Planned end date: January 11

Conquer the New World
Organiser: keiths31
The final round is underway

Global Musical Chairs
Some groups are currently in the third round, some in the second and one in the first still

CFL Tournament Doubles
Currently in Week 16. Standings updated up until Week 15. Tight playoff races. Only three weeks to go until the playoffs.

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
All games in round five are running.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
All games before the next elimination are now running.

Amazing Race: Europe
Round 3 is finally underway after some long games in the previous rounds. This round will be played on Rail Europe. If you are interested in learning about the European Rails, please visit the story in the thread.

CC Olympics 2008
The first ever official clan tournament has taken way longer than I even wanted, and I deeply apologize to the participants for that. The quads and triples games will be moving to the semifinals very soon.

Mod Wars
After a very long delay, the Final series has finally begun. Thank you to all the eliminated participants and good luck to the finalists: dexterdexter, Oaktown, Optimus Prime, sully800, the2lord, Lone.prophet, and James Vazquez.

School's Out for Summer 2008 (Arcee co-organizer)
Two games from Round 2 have been taking an extraordinary long time, so those results will be recorded via BOB on November 1 in order to move the tournament to the Final round.

Asian Dinner Date.
using a 5x5 windmill setup.
Organiser Name: PaulusH
Brief description or update: we have San Miguel Beer from Hong Kong :shock:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up: planned end date: 11 January

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
graulenst has won.
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
KidWhiskey Wins
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
5/8 games of the finals finished.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
EdwinG wins
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
EdwinG wins
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Hath has won

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002
Down and Dirty V
The Escalating Tournament II
The Championship Series

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Championship Series: Asia" - RedBaron0
"Championship Series: Arms Race" - thekidstrumpet
"Mortal Kombat Trilogy" - killmanic
"Northern Europe Maps 1v1" - Army of Achilles
"Championship Series: Battle for Iraq" - White Moose
"Grand Slam Last 16" - Wendt100
"The C-List (EIOT)" - Hath
"Climb the Mountain II" - MudPuppy
"Ruler of: The Realms" - jnd94
"TO; World Cup 2010 – South Africa" - sportsdd2
"Storm the Castle" - hulmey
"Blood Of Merchants" - Gordito, G_M, Ubcman64

This week we sat down for an interview with qwert.
An interview with lackattack, the site's creator is coming soon. This is the last week for questions so post them here.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, qwert.

A: Hello or in Serbian Zdravo ;)

Q:How did you find this website?

A:One day i want to find some site with online games and i find site who have list of most popular online games,and i find CC on list.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A:You ask why? These is risk game,and i love to play these games.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:Well its quit interesting,what other to say.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A:Well,maps in first place,and second i want to see, can i create some succesful tournament.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A:6 month,i think

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A:Qwert Champion League

Q: Where did you come up with your tournament ideas?

A:Well,bracket tournament is similar to other bracket tournament,except i use only mine maps,as for Qwert Champion league,i create mix of other leagues tournament what i see in tournament forums,still its unique and little diferent then other tournaments.

Q: Who do you look to for inspiration when organizing your tournaments?

A:I must say that i dont look any to be mine inspiration.

Q: Describe the experience of your first tournament ran, and first played in.

A:hard question,next please. #-o

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"? How many are you running right now?

A:At these moment i run one tournament-Qwert Bracket Tournament II.
I dont have goal,and i realy dont know where will be end of organising tournament.
So far i finish 2 tournaments-Qwert Bracket Tournament-Qwert Champion League.

Q:What tournaments have you organized?

A:Qwert Champion League
Qwert Bracket Tournament
Qwert Bracket Tournament II

Q:What is your favourite tournament you have run?

A: Well i only run 2 tournament(bracket and league) and bouth is mine favourite tournaments.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A:Hmm,European Wars-first because i won,and second i play most bigest number of game in one tournament,over 50 games.

Q:Do you prefer to run or enter tournaments?

A: Bouth :mrgreen:

Q: Is there a specific type of format that you tend to gravitate towards? Why? Is there a format that is your favourite?

A:No,i dont have some specific tournament format,its most importan that people like tournament setting,and then its ok for me to. :geek:

Q: Do you find it easier to choose tournament settings yourself, or to let the players customize them?

A:Better is for me that i choose tournament setting,because when i give these option for player to choose,then i get to many diferent options and diferent maps,that these become hard to connect,and that why Qwert Champion League last almost 6 month(and only played 32 games)

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A:I will give you these statistic-i complete 611 games and 253 games is tournament games.and these mean that 41% of all mine games is tournament games. :ugeek:

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A:I forget mine first Win #-o

Q:Have you ever won a tournament?

A:Yes,i won 3 tournaments
1.Davis Cup(with Natewolfman)these whas interesting tournament because its whas first win for me and for NAte to.
2.European Wars(most played games 57)
3.Qwert Champion League(most longest tournament for me almost 6 month)

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A:I play one tournament(i belive achiles whas organiser)when you have 2 time chance for advance to next stage,well i lost bouth time with 3-2,and these whas bad luck.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A:When people recognised that these is good tournament setting,what i se with Qwert Bracket Tournament.When i create Qwert Bracket Tournament II,it whas fill after 4 days,and that whas supprise for me.

Q: What do you consider to be the most successful tournaments you've seen run?

A:These is hard question,because i realy dont follow to much other tournaments. #-o

Q: What is the best Tournament that you think has been underestimated?

A:Again hard question,i can not help you with that. #-o

Q:Have you ever been disappointed in a tournament you have run? What about one you entered?

A:Yes i whas disapointed with Fifa World Cup 2010 who run Amazzony. I have chance to move in next stage,but organiser sudenly change rules and find replacement after very long period of waiting,instead to eliminate player who never join a games,and then i protested,and after that i decide to leave tournament.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A:Organiser,who have all clear Tournament,Game and rule settings.

Q: How do you attract players to your tournament, and what aspect (besides a reward of a premium prize or something like that) of a tournament do you think appeals to a lot of players and why?

A:So far i dont have any prize to give(well except medals,what i create).
Hmm,i dont know,maybe graphic and organisation view of tournament.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A:Creating games,that is most worst part of organising. #-o

Q: For you, what is the best part of being a tournament organizer?

A:Become famous :mrgreen:

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A:Trying to create tournament with biger number of player(over 100 player),and then when tournament start,people dont join hes games,and then start all problems.

Q: With experience comes the wisdom of knowing what mistakes you've made in the past so you can avoid them in the future. What mistakes have you made in your tournaments that you are sure to avoid in future tournaments?

A:Definitly to not give people right to choose maps and settings,these can be very tricky,and can prolonge tournament scedule for long time .

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A:Why not,i play all mine tournaments,and so far nobody complain abouth these.If you have all open and when people know who can be hes opponent from begining,then you can not have any problems.

Q: Do you use a "schedule" for updating your tournaments, or do you just wait until they need an update?

A:Almost after every round i update results.

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A:What is "question marks" mean? :?

Q:Do you feel it is better to give a bye to players whose opponents deadbeats the tournament, or to use a reserve?

A:I have very clear,and strictly rule-if you dont join a game after 48h when you receive PM with games,you will be eliminated,and in mine tournament no need for reserves.In Bracket tournament Player who join a game move to next round with official score 3-0, Also in Qwert Champion League in final i have player who dont join a games after 48h,and he officialy get lowest number of point per game(1) and i continue final games with 7 players.In that way,every thing is more regular then with reserves,because you can have player who can come to final with all victories,and then that some reserves take hes opponent place in final(if hes opponent dont join a games) and these is not fair to these player who play all games.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A:Add more mods,because sometime thing move very slow.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A:Yea,if i can create player list for Pm,because every time i must write names one by one in message,and in these way,i will only need to add all names ,and job will be much faster then now

Q: If you are thinking purely on balance of tournament games is there anything you would want changing?

A:no

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A:Yea,start first with smaller number of player,then after that you can try with biger number of player.

Q: List your top 5 biggest tournament headache's to this point

A:Only 5!

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A:i dont know realy-sometime 30minute,and some time 1-2 hour,its more depend on creating maps,when i spend more time in CC.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A:Usergroup of map makers-its closed group only for Map makers.

Q:If you had to guess, what is the date that WWII Europe will be quenched

A:I hope before 31.12.2008 :roll:

Q:Who are you?

A:Im a man

Q: Why did you pick the name qwert? Any significance besides the letters being sequential on the keyboard?

A:well these whas first what fell on mine head,something what i can not forget. Sometime i fell that need to change these name to mine real name.

Q:Where are you from?

A:from Serbia

Q:Favourite play colour?

A:i dont have favourite play colour

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A:AOR maps is least fovourite maps,because when i play games(only in begining) i whas eliminated in 2 turns,and these maps give to much bonuses,so i quit play these maps.
Favourite maps-Circus MAximus,British issle,Benelux,Middle Earth(unfortunatly now dead map :( ) and ofcourse mine maps.

Q:Favourite settings?

A:These all depend of what map i play

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A:Sequential

Q:What is a wanish?? I think oaktown wants to know

A:When i angry,i start writing very bad english,and i meant to say,disperse,or some similar word maybe vanish is correct.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A:Now i start collecting players for Qwert Champion League II,and when i finish with Qwert Bracket Tournament II,i will start with Qwert Bracket Tournament III.

Q: Any parting shots?

A: ? :?:

Q: Thank you for your time.

A:Thanks for invitation for interviev,these is mine second interviev.
I hope that next will be for GD.

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics/Reviews- Sir. Ricco
News Hound- White Moose
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives